Forum redesign your ideas please! (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona Dad

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Southern Arizona
Don't know if this idea would be for a NEW forum style or if it can be incorporated into the present forum, but...
I've noticed that the moderators sometimes move a thread. There is a message that states something like "Thread Moved." Would it be possible to include WHERE it was moved to in the description?
Or maybe there's something I can do NOW to find it? Sorry if this seems like a stupid or redundant question, but I'd like to follow some of these threads, and I don't know how to find where they were moved to.

zonia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Oklahoma
I am relatively new to the forum since I only been vaping about 3 weeks now but imho the search engine is not that good. I would also like to see recipes have it's own section with the name of the recipe as the subject to make searching them so much easier because I really don't want to go through pages and pages of recipes looking for 1 particular custom flavor.

The collapsible vendor thing sounds great to me or at least put them as the last forum. I didn't even know the forum had a buy/sell/trade section until 2 weeks after I started using the forum.

Also the buy/sell/trade section is really a great section there are often great deals on there for people who are curious and want to get started but it is hard to direct those people to the forum because they are private. I can understand the reason for that but is there someway to make it an option of the person doing the buying/selling to choose to make it public or private.

Thank you.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hey, just to confirm that the search engine will be a priority, as will the

Bandit while i understand your suggestion. To keep things fair between the A's and Z's . the vendors are randomized on the 18th i think of each month.

No, that was what was proposed initially but we don't randomize the list any more for the reasons alluded to by friskya.

We are working on a new system, and your input on this is really helpful in trying to work out what is going to work well.

Thanks everyone,

SJ

deeanne59

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hey Smokey...wanted to ask about our username colors and titles. I noticed some members now have "ECF Veteran" under their names...and some are now in purple. What is the requirements for these? I noticed some people have signed up after me, and have fewer posts...but have these new changes(just wondered how to earn the new rankings :D).

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I also would like it to be easier to join a Social group. Even after you find your group, you are still in the wrong place to post! I am forever going to the social group page to rescue someone!
Did anyone ever get rid of the Men's Room? It links back to the Women's Room! :p
Wouldn't be easier for one of the guys to take it over?

simik

Aug 15, 2009
Russia
The vBulletin forum seems to have a plugin/feature to deal with abbreviations. It underlines with a dotted line abbreviations it knows (like JS for JavaScript), and shows what they stands for when you move your mouse over it... So, I'm pretty sure this plugin/feature can be taught to underline and show a hint for e-cig related abbreviations, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I have the solution! It starts with 'Everything in its right place' there are simple choices to make, no suppliers forums clogging up the front page. The general discussion moves so fast make it slower somehow, my brain can't take it all in! New look! Now there is a picture of someone vaping the penstyle at the top of the page, perhaps an e-pipe! There is an all new neon colour scheme, all links are yellow, all text yellowish and topics are almost yellow :D Maybe we can even have a flashy online gaming part where members have to hunt down the hidden 510 or bottle of e-liquid for points which lead to real prizes being won and sent out to winners by SmokeyJoe!!!!

Best feature of all is the forum is upside down!! This makes it alot easier to view when you are standing on your head at the computer, a common complaint that one!!

Can I have some free e-liquid for suggesting these brilliant ideas!

TheBoogieman

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
Brooklyn, New York
Really like to see a place that is just set up for the bans that keep popping up everyday. No posting on the tread. Just info on the ban. A form letter and email address's to send letters too.
The anti smokers are way ahead of us in this area. When you go to their websites they have it all set up. They have a form letter ready with all emails for it to be sent too. No thinking involved.
Probably need a mod for each state or states, that we can PM info. Or a place where we can compile info on the upcoming ban. Then get it all organized.
I've really learned alot from this and other ecig forums. But its not going to do me much good if these bans are not fought. Not that the people who have been fighting them aren't doing a good job. But it shouldn't be like pulling teeth for them to rally people to help them.
Its not like there aren't enough of us. Just have to get organized.

I Luv Vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
Portland, Oregon
Invision Power Board is a good bulletin board. I've been using it for years and it has a lot of functionality and customization available.

Features I would like to see on this forum are:

Automatic email telling me when someone has responded to a topic I start, or a thread I subscribe to.
Uh...the abiltity to subscrirbe to threads in this forum.
Oh yeah...the ability to start a new topic without having to post a certain number of posts. (What I'm doing right now is just posting everywhere so I can finally start a new thread and discussion I want to have. Shouldn't have to do this first; I don't understand the reasoning behind it.)

Another thing that bugs me...to get back to the main menu of topics, I have to click on the banner at the top of the page.

Oh, I just found the 'string' at the very top of the page where I can click on the page I want to go to. I don't like all the advertising between that and the topics. It's confusing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
I don't know if it's possible or not.. but what I think would be awesome would be some way to make questions automatically search prior to posting. So if some newbie wants to come on and ask "what's the best electronic cigarette" they'll see the thousands of other newbies that have asked the exact same question and all the responses they get. Not trying to be cold to the newbies or anything but I think that the new members section would get a lot more attention from the old timers if the majority of the threads weren't the same 5 or so questions, it seems that a lot of the people that used to love helping the new members got fed up with repeating themselves. Also a way to keep all these duplicate questions would likely save the forum a lot of server space.
... might also be benificial in the health section as well.

I also agree with making your location mandatory (country at the very least) more specifically making it a field that must be completed before being able to post.

Another thing that I don't know if it's possible or not but would be nice to see would be some sort of system where suppliers could be rated easily and maybe automatically organized according to their rating. That might alleviate some of the "who to buy from" questions.
Maybe a 10 star system judging customer service, delivery speed, quality of product, price, product variety.. idk what else.. but all the things people ask about. Not like a poll, more like ebay or bbb rankings, an ongoing ticker or something. Like I said, don't know if it's possible but if it could be done it might help to lighten some of the load in the new members forum as well as to provide a solution for the sorting of the sponsored suppliers section (if they want to be on top they've got to earn better rankings)

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
I'd like to see a fun feature: actually two!

1) birthdays moved to the top or near the top - didn't even know they were there until just the other day

2) members having milestones, like 1000 cigs, 1500 cigs, 2000 cigs, etc similar to a birthday list (and a new image on the ECF signature banner - the smushed out .... is old and stale)

I'll leave all the technical stuff to the brainaics amongst us :)

Hope this helps!

big_sizzla

Sep 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I don't know if it's possible or not.. but what I think would be awesome would be some way to make questions automatically search prior to posting. So if some newbie wants to come on and ask "what's the best electronic cigarette" they'll see the thousands of other newbies that have asked the exact same question and all the responses they get. Not trying to be cold to the newbies or anything but I think that the new members section would get a lot more attention from the old timers if the majority of the threads weren't the same 5 or so questions, it seems that a lot of the people that used to love helping the new members got fed up with repeating themselves. Also a way to keep all these duplicate questions would likely save the forum a lot of server space.
... might also be benificial in the health section as well.

Thumbs up to you Ryle, i completely agree. If this is possible, it would alleviate the server exponentially, as well as make things a lot easier to find. If not, a more efficient search would be a vast improvement to the site, it would make threads easier to find and help alot of noobs out.

This forum has been very good to me, however i think the a sleek look may be a little more fun and inviting. I'm also a member of TSF (the Tech Support Forum) and when they were renovating the site they had a fun contest. They were searching for a new look and were asking members to design a new banner/logo. I had a lot of fun participating in this.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a prize included, (maybe just a watermark on the corner of the banner for bragging rights :cool:.) But i think it would be fun to give our good ol' site a facelift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread