Found my 30 watt iron - low enough watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Np I use a light dimmer control mounted in a box with a female end of an extension cord hanging out one end and the male end out the other to adjust the temp on my irons. Just made up an inline dimmer of my own. Works great. note that even at full "brightness" for the dimmer control you will not get the full 30 watts out of the iron, but close with the dimmer wide open. Most controllers will handle 600 watts or so.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Nice thread.... i'm actually in the market for a iron myself. Always wondered what wattage i should get since i noticed so many different ones online while searching. I have collected all the parts needed over many months to make some box mods. The only things left i need are a iron and heat gun for shrink wrapping.

I was wondering what wattage iron most people are using for box mods? Any recommendations would be greatly accepted.

side note: would my chicks blow dryer work as a poor mans heat gun for shrink tube?

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I use this:

Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station FX-888D FX-888 (blue & yellow) - Power Soldering Accessories - Amazon.com

It is worth the investment. You can find it as low as $70 from time to time.

A hair dryer on high might work!
Wow, that's definitely one nice soldering iron. Little to steep in the price rang for my first box mod. It would definitely be something I'd pick up if after making a few boxes I find out I really enjoy it and want to make more.

I see it can go up to 70 watts. What wattage do you normally use while making a box mod? I want to pick up something cheaper, but I want to insure I have enough heat to make a good connection since I'll be pushing a lot of amps though the mod. I'm super new to soldering, so I don't really know if a 30 watt one will do the job.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've been using this one for several years and it still works great. Not as nice as the Hakko linked above and other higher priced choices but for a inexpensive variable temp station I've been thrilled with it. The only issue I've had is the iron holder is press fit into plastic housing and keeps popping out so I just use the iron holder from my helping hands kit with it.

Stahl Tools SSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I set the temp based on the solder I am using and it adjusts the wattage as needed, never showing me what it is doing, so I can say.
Dang, that's pretty fancy. Well, a buddy of mine has a 60 watt he said I could borrow. Looks like he's got one of those "helping hands" things too. So I guess I'm gonna see how well 60 watts does the trick.

I'm not even sure what kind of solder to use. He said he's got solder as well that I can use. Should I be looking for a specific kind?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread