Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
If you want an adjustable 510, all you need is some 5 minute epoxy.
The reason the stock 510 isn't adjustable is because the positive screw holds the round contact and insulator washer to the base of the unit. Put some epoxy around the insulator washer so that the contact, washer and base become a solid unit. The screw now moves up and down. KISS!

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Not a bad idea but, you now have a leaking issue with the positive pin raised and epoxy mixing with my liquid over time is a no-go for me....

FDA BOC
I have no leakage. The shaft of the pin seems to seal pretty well to the rubber insulator. The liquid still goes through the stainless pin and does not come anywhere near the epoxy. The epoxy is applied to to the outside of the insulator washer while it is held tight together by the screw, with a little overage onto the base and contact to hold them all together.

I put a piece of folded paper in between the Chinesium and brass to prevent any epoxy interfering with the connection and swabbed the epoxy around the washer with a broken toothpick with the unit laying on its back. The brass contact and the metal base are both wider than the washer which leaves a nice channel to swab in the epoxy.

If there was leakage and contact with the epoxy it would be with juice that was out of play, not juice you would be vaping. Cured epoxy is non-toxic and highly chemically nonreactive, no more of a risk than juice coming into contact with PC, ABS, POM, or any other plastic used in mods and attys.

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
Only other concern is over extending the positive pin up and it shifting. Not a lot of room between negative and positive in that 510.

FDA BOC
True. But that would require an atty with a really short 510. At that point you probably wouldn't have enough on the bottom end to make a good connection for the bottle. The stock 510 is a fraction of a mm too short, the amount required to raise it enough to contact a standard atty shouldn't create a problem.

I only did this because I have an atty that almost kinda sorta connects. Putting a spacer in raised it up enough to create a big enough gap to offend even my low standards. So I figured I'd give this a try. Works like a charm, only had to back the screw out about 1 turn. I'm guessing my other two will take maybe 2 turns or so when I do them.

If anyone else tries this I would caution you to make sure everything is tight before you apply the epoxy and allow the epoxy to thicken a bit before applying. You do not want the epoxy to penetrate between the parts to the screw threads. Let it cure before trying to adjust it.

Reactions: EddieAdams

crunchie812

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
Key Largo, FL USA
First SSIB bottle busted after a years use. Maybe 2? Have to figure when I got my CC. Small hole in the seam on the bottom.

FDA BOC
They do seem to last pretty well . I have two that have been in regular use for over a year. Might be able to patch it with a dab of silicone sealer.

Reactions: EddieAdams

roffern

May 6, 2014
norway
Hey guys, I'm not very handy to me, but have been inspired by everything you enter here :)

I had trouble finding copper plates, but came across pipe clamp in a store,
these I directed out and cut to the correct size.
Ordered me MM510 from modmaker,

But now comes the big question!

with the MM510 in the box, There is not enough place for the bottle ???

Can I cut off a bite of the juice pin at MM510?
Other that has done this?

rørklemmer.jpg
strøm.jpg
FS_clone_MM510.jpg

Reactions: Khanninnarh

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
What kind of bit and size did you use?
I gave this a shot, and couldn't get it to drill easily - too soft. When I finally got a hole, I'd overdone it and the whole middle "plug" gave up and came out. Not tight enough a top seal without the middle plug (I tried - messy....).

YOnmeFl.jpg

Decided to modify a VT Inbox bottle to fit into the Franky. Took the tube from the original bottle, drilled a hole in the middle of the rubber top, fed the tube through, voila. Works just as well as the supersoft bottles.

Mostly_Harmless

Verified Member
Dec 25, 2016
US
What kind of bit and size did you use?
I gave this a shot, and couldn't get it to drill easily - too soft. When I finally got a hole, I'd overdone it and the whole middle "plug" gave up and came out. Not tight enough a top seal without the middle plug (I tried - messy....).

I used a 9/64 bit. It did cause the the middle plug to fall out as well. I found the hole was still small enough to force the tube through. It was a tight fit and with the top on I don't have any air leaks. Will use it for a few days to see how it holds up and report back.

The only drawback so far is the size of the bottle does restrict the switch a tad, so have to fully press the button to fire.

Reactions: Train2

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
I used a 9/64 bit. It did cause the the middle plug to fall out as well. I found the hole was still small enough to force the tube through. It was a tight fit and with the top on I don't have any air leaks. Will use it for a few days to see how it holds up and report back.

The only drawback so far is the size of the bottle does restrict the switch a tad, so have to fully press the button to fire.

I use the VT Inbox bottle but I take stock tubing and slide 2 2x3mm o-rings onto the tube and slide them up near the top. They seal the tubing to the inside diameter of the bottle neck and it's airtight. Refilling is easy too, the tube pops right out. I've been using them this way for well over a month now with no issues at all, and no switch interference. If you want it to look prettier, you can put the stainless steel cap from the crappy stock frankie bottle on top. It just sits there really, but it hides the top of the bottle and o-rings.

Reactions: crunchie812
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread