Free-for-all RBA coil setup brainstorming & testing inspired by Scubabatdan's ScubaQu concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

DizGrizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Near Austin, TX
If you have seen or have been following the original Pyrex-SS hybrid wick thread (link below), you know that many of the great minds in ECF have recently been running in overdrive, inspired by Dan's great design concept. In fact poor Dan's original thread quickly grew to over 150 pages with posts from exited members. Because of this, that thread became difficult to read and many of us began to feel a bit guilty about how we took Dan's thread and ran away with it over the hill.
So, there are now 3 new threads dedicated to different aspects of the ideas originally posted in that thread and this thread is one of those. They are:

:rules:

Scubabatdan's original thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/351986-pyrex-ss-hybrid-wick-153.html : In (somewhat delayed :oops:) respect to Dan's original idea this one is unofficially closed to new posts. This is a real good read if you want to get to know what ideas have been brought forth thus far and to get inspired to join in.

BJ's http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/355145-new-dans-scubaqu-only-9.html thread: This is for results of completed working version of Dan's original design (and derivitives) only. Please refrain from conversation on new design ideas (see next thread for that). The point here is to have a more concise, clean list of results for members to see.

bapgood's http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/356810-scubaqu-issues-ideas-3.html#post7971206 thread : "ScubaQu info/help/potential design improvements". discussion of ideas, works in progress, and improvements to Dan's original concept. Please do not post concepts or ideas completely outside of the scope of the ScubaQu. Trying to keep this thread focused on further developing / perfecting the ScubaQu only.

THIS thread:
This one is for whatever comes into your head as to alternative methods for getting the wick to spew tons of delectable vapor with a minimum of hassle and to reduce/eliminate shorting issues. The main principals we want to encompass are:
- Ease of use. Many members find it difficult to get an RBA to function properly. Even seasoned pros admit that it can be a little hit and miss. We would like to come up with easier and more foolproof methods of setting up a wicking/vaporizing system for RBAs that could be used by anyone willing to put in some initial effort. This does not mean that it has to be "simple" but, if it takes effort to setup/build, it should be easy to use after initial construction.
- Reduced maintenance. This would include ease of wick replacement and reduced buildup of gunk on the coil/heater.
- Functionality and performance. Let's face it, if it doesn't work well in the end, there's not much point. However many a great idea started with massive failures so, if you have an idea, don't necessarily abandon it at the first sign of trouble.
- Safety. We want to garner concepts that will not endanger our fellow vapers. Even if it outperforms all other systems yet devised, if it has a likelihood (or even a strong possibility) of being a safety concern (blowing up, emitting toxic gases, etc.), we want to weed those out. Careful testing and contemplation of the devices we envision with an eye toward safety should always be uppermost in our minds. We also don't want anyone hurt while testing theories and concepts here...so play it safe.

To be totally caught-up with the current state of things, you would have to read
Scubabatdan's original thread but, if you have an idea, toss it in and we'll let you know if it's been tried. Please try not to chit-chat in this thread as I suspect it will grow rapidly with just keeping to the point :)

With that, I open the floor to all comers with an idea. Let the creative (and e-)juices flow...
:w00t:

Last edited:

DizGrizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Near Austin, TX
Since I am still awaiting my FQ (fused quartz) tubes and will hopefully be getting supplies for other ideas this weekend, I have yet to make any prototypes myself but, in the interest of cutting through some of the clutter, here are some of the concepts brought up so far:

Of course, Dan's original concept of coil wire wrapped around a Pyrex tube with a SS (stainless steel) mesh wick inside the tube. A possibly preferred material to replace the Pyrex is fused quartz, as it seems to have superior heat and temperature shock properties.

An encased coil/heater where the coil is enclosed in a tube of glass or other substance and the wick is wrapped around this heater (kind of an inverse ScubaQu design).

Myriad derivatives and variations on these two main concepts.

If you have ideas on either of these concepts or another idea that is completely different from these two, don't hesitate to post it up.
Also, if you have already posted some ideas or prototypes in one of the other threads and don't mind re-posting, please do so.

Last edited:

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
I need inside out heating inspiration :)

image.jpg

Still wanting to to try the dual helix wrap in a 14g needle

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
I tried some of the Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread as a wick in the ScubaQu method with ribbon nichrome coil reading 1.8 ohms. It wicks nice and doesn't sputter but it adds a strange taste to the juice im using, not bad but strange. I didn't boil it or nothing and it could just be the juice. This setup was a real pain to put together though. And it still suffers from the airflow problems in the DiD clone.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
I tried some of the Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread as a wick in the ScubaQu method with ribbon nichrome coil reading 1.8 ohms. It wicks nice and doesn't sputter but it adds a strange taste to the juice im using, not bad but strange. I didn't boil it or nothing and it could just be the juice. This setup was a real pain to put together though. And it still suffers from the airflow problems in the DiD clone.

I tried the same set up and got the same results as you mre777, but I can't seem to get the vapor production that BJ43 is getting in his. I put 4 threads loosely in the tube, let it sit for about 4 hours to swell, then tried a slightly packed down version.

I also switched over to a dud from the AGA for the bamboo to see if it was an atty design issue with airflow. Not there for me, yet.

BTW, If you boil the bamboo two or three times and rinse between boils, the off-taste goes away much faster.

perlionsmitnick

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
TX
Has anyone tried this with the ScubaQu? Thanks to Commie.

Mistake #2:
My resistance wire is too high of a resistance, so I've been experimenting with braiding two strands of it to lower the resistance in half. Works great in a Phoenix. In a Vivi Nova, as it turns out, it burns the little **** rubber stopper, since the wire gets more mass and transfers heat further. Burning rubber does not taste good when vaped

from http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7296975

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Due to the generosity of another ECF'er, sw9668, I received some more 3 x 2 plus some 2 x 1 fused quartz. A New Years gift from him to the project. I think I was able to take care of most who reported some damaged tubes to me, but if anyone is still interested, let me know. Only have about 4' of each, so not much. Have a couple of requests to fill yet, but should be enough left for a few more more requests. Still have some packing material and stamps that I donated to the cause. I will be packing them all up myself. Much better results. ;-)

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Tanked Carto VS Genisis Style Aty

I am relatively new to RBAs but I have tried....
-Horizontal coils with wicks of bamboo/hemp/cotton or whatever comes with the smokteck r-tank.
-Vertical coils setup in the genisis style configuration with the above wicks plus 400 and 635 SS, in both the r-tank aty and a custom built setup.
-Most of the above with and without scubaqu glass tube.

I guess I have been lucky and haven't really had any issues with shorting/hot spots/etc with direct coil on SS, just followed the info on ECF for oxidation. I don't think I have mastered SS wick rolling yet, but with 635 I got a lot better results than with 400. I have been adhering to BJ43's philosophy of a tight wick generates better wicking (capillary action).

But I have not found one RBA/Genisis configuration that compares to the boring old LR Tanked Cartomizer.

That said I don't have an actual genisis style atomizer nor know anybody with one, so my experience is limited to my own.

Cartomizers are great for some and I have generally had a good experience with them. Cartromizers have the poly down side, along being somewhat inconstant and restrictive to maintenance/adjustment, and once in a while one that is bad out of the package.

I'm kind of a tinker and wanted to better my vape from the cartomizers, which it looked like many were doing with RBA's.

Quite possibly my experience with RBA's is the minority, but I wanted to get some feedback from others.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Looks pretty good there bap, the quartz is breaking? How do the coil ends connect to the aluminum ends?

Yeah the quartz is "shocking" I think when the coil is really hot....I have one working, I'm just keeping the power low.

I just cut the tube so the aluminum ends push against the ends of the coil.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
Yeah the quartz is "shocking" I think when the coil is really hot....I have one working, I'm just keeping the power low.

I just cut the tube so the aluminum ends push against the ends of the coil.

Humm. when I did my sealed coil test it blewout the ends because of the pressure from the heated air trapped inside. Could be the same thing but my pyrex was thin walled at .4mm (I think) compared to your 1mm walled FQ. How tight are your endcaps? You may be needing a tiny breather hole. Nice looking work on the caps by the way :)

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Received some of the enameled resistance wire from jubal81 today. Interesting stuff. Running a 1.5 ohm coil on lightly oxidized 400 mesh right now in my AGA-T. It's a bit hard to work with as it's a little stiff, but not bad.

Had a little bit of a metallic taste at first from the mesh, but it's working pretty well. I think I saw Cool_Breeze also found some that has a slightly higher resistance. Haven't seen a report out for that just yet, but I may have missed it.

Have about 1/4 tank of juice left on the first coil. Figured I would post my findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread