Freemax Scylla

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyhicks67

Jan 10, 2016
Just got the Freemax Scylla and my first impressions are as follows:
1. Vaped with the ceramic coil for about 3 hours and didn't like it. It produces big clouds and has great flavor imho, but it REALLY burns through the ejuice,..I mean ridiculously so. It also requires a lot of power to really shine..
2. Put in a 0.5 ohm Freemax Clapton coil -now we're cooking. For whatever reason, I like the Kanthal coil much better,..still chucking HUGE clouds,..but at a lower wattage,..and it doesn't seem to burn through the juice as fast. Flavor still great. This is the combo that works for my style of vaping.
3. The tank itself is really in a league of it's own,..I was using a Kanger/Sub Mini,..but I can tell you right now the Freemax is machined way better,..everything is silky smooth and I LOVE the top fill. I wouldn't hesitate recommending one. It's a bit taller than the SubMini-but it's a gorgeous tank, so I don't mind. Full marks to Freemax!

Dom NY

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2013
New York
I was happy with the six Freemax Starres I own, so I decided to buy a Freemax Scylla, thinking it must be even better. The Pro Starre wasn't in my sights because I'm not interested in temperature control.
I bought the Scylla from Vapor DNA with the new ceramic and Clapton coils on the side. I tried the ceramic coil that came with the device as well as one from the extra box of coils I purchased. Not good... The ohm readings kept jumping around from .3 to .42 on several of my mods that are known to have accurate ohm readers. The tank became very warm around its base after only four modest hits. The tank also leaked a little bit, despite the fact that I kept the airflow closed while filling it with juice. Finally, the vape didn't taste anywhere near as good as it does in the Starre tank. So, I thought this could be attributed to a faulty coil, and decided to dump out half of my juice, and install a new ceramic coil which was purchased separately. Unfortunately, I had the same negative results with that coil too. I won't try a third coil because I'm convinced these coils suck.
I installed the Clapton coil, and it worked well, with almost no break-in period, yielding good flavor, although the vapor production on the Starre .25 ohm coils is superior. The ramp-up time on the Clapton is a bit slow, which is typical of Claptons. I wait at least a second after firing the device to take a hit.
I'm glad I only bought one Scylla tank and not more. The top fill is a nice feature, but otherwise, I see no improvement over the original Starre. As a matter of fact, the top fill might prove to be a negative, if it causes the tank to leak over time. For now, I'll stick with the Starre and the Herakles Sense Plus (just wish their tanks held more juice).

Reactions: freemaxfans

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
I was happy with the six Freemax Starres I own, so I decided to buy a Freemax Scylla, thinking it must be even better. The Pro Starre wasn't in my sights because I'm not interested in temperature control.
I bought the Scylla from Vapor DNA with the new ceramic and Clapton coils on the side. I tried the ceramic coil that came with the device as well as one from the extra box of coils I purchased. Not good... The ohm readings kept jumping around from .3 to .42 on several of my mods that are known to have accurate ohm readers. The tank became very warm around its base after only four modest hits. The tank also leaked a little bit, despite the fact that I kept the airflow closed while filling it with juice. Finally, the vape didn't taste anywhere near as good as it does in the Starre tank. So, I thought this could be attributed to a faulty coil, and decided to dump out half of my juice, and install a new ceramic coil which was purchased separately. Unfortunately, I had the same negative results with that coil too. I won't try a third coil because I'm convinced these coils suck.
I installed the Clapton coil, and it worked well, with almost no break-in period, yielding good flavor, although the vapor production on the Starre .25 ohm coils is superior. The ramp-up time on the Clapton is a bit slow, which is typical of Claptons. I wait at least a second after firing the device to take a hit.
I'm glad I only bought one Scylla tank and not more. The top fill is a nice feature, but otherwise, I see no improvement over the original Starre. As a matter of fact, the top fill might prove to be a negative, if it causes the tank to leak over time. For now, I'll stick with the Starre and the Herakles Sense Plus (just wish their tanks held more juice).
Thanks for the review. I will see stick with the Starre Pro and Herakles Plus.

BTW - for a large tank, try the Stentorian by Steam Engine. I've had mine for a few days and it's a beast. 6ml capacity and best flavor so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dom NY

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
Also don't forget when shopping Vapeston and Starre are "twinish" companies. Coils interchange etc., but air flow can be slightly different between the tanks themselves.

I've been using the Maganus Ni off and on and its worth checking out for Starre (even Uwell fans).

Just a PSA...cheers :)

Last edited:
I ordered some of the ceramic coils for my OG Starre and have had mixed feelings. Yes it requires a bit more power but there is a hidden bonus.

After a few days of vaping on one I broke it down
d5d9ba42d442392e9f09df11a397e7ea.jpg

Then with the coil out of the housing dry burning is possible
fcf0c43b66cbd4958fedbce266544b45.jpg

Coil cleaned up perfectly
3479429138293640ffdf7115d248177e.jpg

I then attempted to rewick with CGD and placing the coil in a subverter housing with large juice holes, but after bending the leads too much I broke one off. I believe it will work, so Im going to try with my next coil and post my results.

Last edited:

freemaxfans

Unresolved Status
Aug 23, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

freemaxfans

Unresolved Status
Aug 23, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1

freemaxfans

Unresolved Status
Aug 23, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
Vapeston is a trading company...not twins. When vendors placed order to vapeston,that not means placed order to freemax.Vapeston and freemax are different companies.they are different management,vapeston can not make decision for freemax,also,freemax can not make decision for vapeston.

The most difference is that: Freemax is the factory,they can offer best price to vendors.And produce fast and ship fast.

Did family members not start both companies? I said "twinish"...do you know what that implies in English? It implies of similar origins which is accurate. I didn't say they are the exact same company.

The first Maganus & first Starre tanks clearly defined this connection long ago when hitting the market. Maybe when both companies stop using the exact same coils with different logos on the box as the foundation of each new model Freemax/Vapeston can branch off as a true independents. Until then.....cross shop all you want (especially on coils). Why pay $25 for Starre ceramic coils when you can find Vapeston ceramic for $15 on Fleabay.

So please lighten up & don't troll because what I actually said was accurate. A gut check......you are probably affiliated with Freemax. I remember your early threads when you very first appeared here on ECF. Out of the gate suggesting that Uwell Crown copied Freemax. Trolling then, trolling now all on behalf of Freemax.

To be clear I'm not saying anything bad about Freemax (I use their products also) and consider
this forum offers paid vendor/sponsor accounts if your interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyConti

Tim Jenson

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I have a question regarding the Freemax Scylla tank. It's says it backwards compatible with the Freemax Star coils, I've heard the Aspire coils work in the Freemax Star, and I've also heard that the Vaporesso cCell coils are compatible with Aspire tanks. So my question is, can I use all those different coils in the Freemax Scylla? If so I plan on purchasing it, if not I'll probably get an Aspire Trition. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

I have a question regarding the Freemax Scylla tank. It's says it backwards compatible with the Freemax Star coils, I've heard the Aspire coils work in the Freemax Star, and I've also heard that the Vaporesso cCell coils are compatible with Aspire tanks. So my question is, can I use all those different coils in the Freemax Scylla? If so I plan on purchasing it, if not I'll probably get an Aspire Trition. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
There's a thread somewhere that lists all the tanks that the coils can be interchanged in. If the Scylla can use the original Starre coils, then yes, I believe that the coils are all compatible with it. Feel free to search Google for the thread I mentioned as I believe it's on another forum.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread