Freezing 100mg nicotine base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your freezer doesn't get cold enough to turn it solid, so there's no expansion. Even if you could get it cold enough--about minus seventy degrees--VG shrinks when it freezes, so you'd actually get a core of the stuff rattling around in a slightly depressurized bottle.

Freeze away!

Edit: Ditto with PG, except that freezes around -35. Most freezers are around 0.

Last edited:

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Multitudes of smaller bottles is better than larger too.

This way, you need some nic, you grab another 30mL. The rest of the batch isn't exposed to air or out of the freezer and still in optimal condition.

Probably be fine storing them in larger containers, but air will inevitably be in there as the solution is removed.

Gleaned this info from the lovely folks at Wizard Labs.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I rebottled 500 ml of nic into 8 of the 60 ml brown glass bottles and put them all back in the heavy duty ziplock bag the original bottle came in, and put it all in the freezer. I only Vape at 8 mg so I'm set for a long time. Lol. Cost me $60 including the 8 brown bottles that were 60 ml. Good deal! Can make my own coils and cotton wicks, so I'm ready for the Vapocalypse. Lol. I'm on a strict vaping budget this year.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Probably be fine storing them in larger containers, but air will inevitably be in there as the solution is removed.

I have a bunch of liter bottles of rocket juice (100 mg./ml.) in the freezer at -10 degrees Farenheit. When I need more base, my plan is to fish one bottle out of the freezer, bring it up to room temperature, parcel the contents into 60 ml. bottles, then deep-six the 60 ml. bottles in the freezer and remove one-by-one as needed. I don't think the half-day or so exposure at room temperature will appreciably deteriorate the rocket juice.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
I have a bunch of liter bottles of rocket juice (100 mg./ml.) in the freezer at -10 degrees Farenheit. When I need more base, my plan is to fish one bottle out of the freezer, bring it up to room temperature, parcel the contents into 60 ml. bottles, then deep-six the 60 ml. bottles in the freezer and remove one-by-one as needed. I don't think the half-day or so exposure at room temperature will appreciably deteriorate the rocket juice.

yea i have some empty 250ml bottles i plan on using to break down the liter bottles as i need them,defiantly a good idea to have some smaller bottles to use once we break into the larger bottles to help keep air out.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
A question not asked yet. Could you refreeze if say the power went out and it thawed out?

I refreeze mine. I actually keep my base premixed so that all I have to do is add flavor. I keep the base in the freezer. When I need to use it, I take it out, bring it back to room temp, use it, put back in the freezer. Been doing this for years with no problems.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I would leave a couple mL of headroom, do not fill to the brim. No, VG or PG will not expand in the freezer, it will contract a bit, if anything. But if your filling area was cool when you fill the bottles, VG (not sure about PG, I don't use PG) will expand if the room you bring the bottle into is warmer than the room you filled the bottles in originally. I had one 100 mg VG that I filled in a cool kitchen in January, and brought out into a hot office in August, and it was filled to the brim. Started leaking out of the cap and down the sides of the bottle. Yikes! So now I always leave a bit of headroom in the storage bottles.

I would not bother with the CO2 purging. It will not hurt anything, but there is O2 naturally dissolved in VG or PG anyway. All VG nics I've had store as is in the freezer indefinitely. If the nic is really pure, so does PG-nic, but if it is a less pure nic in PG it may age some in the freezer. I had this with TW 36 mg Red Label unflavored, which over the course of a year or so turned into essentially a tobacco juice. I think nic-oxides impart a tobacco-like flavor. I could not vape it myself, but the person I gave this stash to treats it like gold, from the aged flavor it took on. So oxidation is not necessary a bad thing, but again, if it is very pure nic, even PG will not change significantly in the freezer.

I use 30-50 mL glass bottles, since a 50 mL bottle of 100 mg will last me months, and I don't want to continually be dipping into a large bottle. I keep the bottles in a sealed pet food container in case of breakage. I use amber glass bottles from SpecialtyBottle.com, the ones with eurodropper insert, which is excellent for safe syringe dispensing and protection from spills will the bottle is in use. They also limit air exchange greatly when the bottle is open. they are essentially an inert plastic septum (HDPE which has no plasticizers and does not dissolve/react with the contents over time, like polycarbonates or PETs).

I developed this method over three years ago, and I still have some of my VG-nic from then in the freezer. It is virtually unchanged, and I expect preservation to be indefinite. Actually this has become a bit of a problem, since the quality of unflavored nic has increased a lot on the last few years, and some of what I have in the freezer from 2009 I don't particularly care for now, compared to some of the current nics. But that has nothing to do with storage effects, everything to do with the original nic quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread