Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
In the mean-time I've taken all my liquid out of the refrigerator and it's now in a box in a dark corner in the coolest (which isn't very cool) room in the house.

I'd also put it on the floor of that room. Heat rises and all - might cut a few degrees off if stored on the floor. Just my obvious and tiny contribution to the thread (my place is usually over 80°F in the summer as well - and I have no basement).

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
I'd think putting it in the fridge would be a bad idea. Condensation will likely ruin your liquid. Condensation created in your product is a result of chemical separation, when the liquid becomes cooler than the outside temperature, droplets form on the inner walls. Eventually, in time this will degrade the life of your product by taste.

Unlike the practice of storing cigars, where it should be in a humidity controlled environment.

Our product is liquid and our job is to prevent it from rapid temperature change, to minimize the alteration of it.

Condensation is one of the contributors to food/product expiration.

It shouldn't matter how hot your home or apartment is as long as you control any rapid temperature of your product. Putting the bottles in a cooler (with cheese cloth to prevent moisture with in the cooler) will help control the rapid fluctuation of temperature and prevent condensation with in. (for those who are fortunate enough to have all four seasons.)

But, this is just my opinion. I just reversed my practice of storing my Cigars.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Again, thank you Sun. I just wrote Wayne at Heaven's gifts. I figured if anyone knew he "might". I explained the temperatures here in Georgia and I explained what you said (no names given) happened to you. I then asked him if he has any experience storing e-liquid LONG TERM and I stressed long term. It'll be interesting to see what he says.

In the mean-time I've taken all my liquid out of the refrigerator and it's now in a box in a dark corner in the coolest (which isn't very cool) room in the house. I may not even go by what Wayne writes (if he does). I trust you on what you've reported Sun and I'm not willing to take that chance! I have almost 1,500ml's of the stuff!

The PG MSDS states that the the following:

Storage and Handling Practice: Store only in approved containers. Keep away from any incompatible materials or conditions. Store in a dry ventilated area at a temperature of 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F). Protect from light.

Since I had put it on the Fridge (which is 40 degrees--19 degrees lower then the MSDS states---That is why I lost it. So much for the Fridge for me.

Sun

MidnighToker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
NC
The PG MSDS states that the the following:

Storage and Handling Practice: Store only in approved containers. Keep away from any incompatible materials or conditions. Store in a dry ventilated area at a temperature of 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F). Protect from light.

Thanks so much for digging that up Sun. In that flash of genius that I had, I never thought to simply look up the MSDS... It's kinda better this way cuz now all these others know now too.

Now, does anyone know where I can rent out some cabinet space? Will the Mrs. REALLY notice the missing China that we've only used 3-4 times in the last 12 years?

You guys are all great! Thanks Chad, that's a good point, one I hadn't thought of.

Dedmonwakin, thank you!!

Sun, you're a life saver so to speak, or at least an e-liquid saver! I am so glad I read this forum. I usually come here many times a day and always click on "Today's Posts" to see what is happening and any new ideas. I am so glad I do.

Nitewriter, I'll be sure to let you know, but I have a feeling our guys know more about storing than maybe Wayne does. I think his product probably leaves the warehouse long before it has a chance to go rancid. Maybe not, but either way I'll let you know if he replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I know that with wine, it isn't so much the temperature - although the ideal cellar/wine closet temp is 57 - but whether there are big swings in temperature - which isn't good. Not that storing in 90 degree heat would be any good for wine even if it was constant. But if you have a place (cool, dark, dry) that ranges from say mid 50's to 80 but didn't go from 55 to 80 in a day or visa versa, but would gradually go from one to the other over seasonal changes, then you should be good. Unlike juice, wine requires some humidity because of the cork so it doesn't' dry out.

Thanks guys for all the info!

Mine is in the bottom of the cubbard, which is just a few inches off the floor, because that's the first thing I thought of---heat rises!

I'm still nervous about it though. I have ~1 litre...

Sharon, I'd still like to hear what Wayne says.......just curious.

I'm curious too, and it might be interesting, but either way mine is staying out of the fridge!

VaporPhreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I had a bit of an idea... if you had a mini-fridge and set the thermostat in it as high as it would go (making it a warmer temp not cooler) would it be at an acceptable temp for the PG? Does anyone have a mini-fridge that they are not using or could keep empty for a few days? If so set it as high as it will go, put in a thermometer and check in after a couple days to see what the temp is. If its around say 65 degrees than we may be on to something. Anyone out there who can test?

well i cant keep it in the fridge, because i'd be in the fridge every 3 minutes to fill my cart up.
Could turn the air con up in my office and turn the lights out?

If you do that you'll need to get one heck of an LED light on your PV so you could see what you're doing..:D

menthollight

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
USA
Eastmall's label says, "Keep in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator for extended life; expires 27 months from date of purchase." It also shows an expiration date that's 24 months from the production date, so that "27 months from date of purchase" doesn't make sense to me.

I believe Eastmall sells Dekang/Boge liquid, and Boge's website says the same about refrigeration at bogetech--Elektronische sigaret|e-Zigaretten|e-sigarette|Elettronica di sigarette|e-Zigarren|e-cigaret|elektrische Zigarette|elektronische Zigarette|ruyan|Smoking Liquid

There is no cool place or anywhere that doesn't fluctuate in temperature in my home this time of year. The last few days have ranged from the high 60s to the low 90s, and it will likely hit the high 90s and low 100s in the coming weeks.

So I keep my factory sealed liquids (from a variety of vendors) in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it's been almost four months now with no problem. I don't refrigerate the open bottles I'm vaping from, and when I take a new bottle out of the fridge I let it come to room temperature and shake before using.

I would be devastated if I lost all my liquid like Sun did, but has anyone else had that problem? Anyone else refrigerate without a problem?

No personal experience, but don't see why a fridge would be bad. Condensation occurs when there is a temperature difference (or change of temperature). Being damp (assuming a fridge can be) should also make no difference given that the juice is in a sealed container.

Food goes in the fridge because it lasts longer. I'm not convinced by the fridge is bad idea (but not completely certain).

If can't avoid a wide change in temp from day to night, fridge might be better.

But the most important factors are: air tight (and no air in the container). Divide larger containers to smaller ones as use, filling to the brim, and caefully, not churning it up with air). And out of daylight.

Oxygen and UV light do the damage.

Glass is better for long term storage than plastic (don't try freezing glass containers though).

Last edited:
Now I'm really confused. If the manufacturer recommends the refrigerator and you, menthollite have kept yours in the refrigerator for 4 months with no problems, what to do?

I think today I'm going to write a number of different suppliers and see what they have to say.

I'm really glad this topic came up so we can discover what is best.

ETA: I just wrote 6 (making it 7 with the inquiry I sent yesterday) companies with our question. Will report back when I get the answers.

Last edited:

tikva

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Thanks Sharon, that will be interesting to hear the replies from the manufacturers.

I wish there was a poll on this questions. I'd like to know how many people keep their liquids in a fridge, how many don't, what the temp/humidity conditions are that the liquids are stored in, and who has had problems and who has not.

I keep hearing about people, like menthollite, who do refridgerate, and have had no problems.

Again, just curious....

Very curious.....

Now I'm really confused. If the manufacturer recommends the refrigerator and you, menthollite have kept yours in the refrigerator for 4 months with no problems, what to do?

I think today I'm going to write a number of different suppliers and see what they have to say.

I'm really glad this topic came up so we can discover what is best.

ETA: I just wrote 6 (making it 7 with the inquiry I sent yesterday) companies with our question. Will report back when I get the answers.

Best thing to do is store in different places, if more than one container.

Don't open to divide up until you need to use some of the contents.

The enemies are air (oxygen > oxidation) and light (daylight/UV > decomposition of the nicotine).

A lower temp. slows the oxidation rate; shouldn't be a big factor if there's very very little air in the container and it is air-tight. Think tinned food: no air and air tight; no fridge needed.

Two other ways something can degrade: bio-induced degradation (mold, bacteria) and inherent slow decomposition or reaction of constituents tendency (not known, afaik, but possible, very slow though and would be slowed further by keeping cool). Think egg: need not go in fridge, but will noticeably degrade after 2 or 3 weeks even though sealed (there will be some bacteria inside, and proteins also decompose over time).

Last edited:

MidnighToker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
NC
I wish there was a poll on this questions. I'd like to know how many people keep their liquids in a fridge, how many don't, what the temp/humidity conditions are that the liquids are stored in, and who has had problems and who has not.
Just went back and tried to edit to add a poll, but no dice.:(

Just went back and tried to edit to add a poll, but no dice.:(

If a poll is developed on a different thread, please be sure it's for people who have stored liquid for more than 3 or 4 months. Any less than that we'll have people who have had liquid for only a few weeks chiming in and we still won't know where we are with this.

Still waiting for answers from suppliers. But it's Sunday and I think a lot of them won't answer until tomorrow.

daniel2828

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Iowa
www.photolink.com
When suppliers note to store something in a cool, dry place while providing no specific information, then it's pretty much the same as "avoid heat or direct sunlight." So I'd be willing to bet anywhere from 65 deg. to 72 deg. is safe for storage up to a year or so. If one lives in a warm environment and does not have air conditioning, or if you're stock-piling loads of juice, then I agree with VaporPhreak about the dorm fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread