"freezing" juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Hmm, one of my plans this weekend was to convert one of those water cooler/mini-fridge into a lockable juice cooler. Then I read this.

Sun - were your bottles opened before refrigerating? And would there be a likelyhood that the tip touched your carts while filling? I wonder if the problem is bacteria entering the opened bottle, and then growing on the condensation inside the bottle when refrigerated?

So maybe un-opened bottles in the 'fridge, and opened ones should stay out?

I'm getting quite a large collection - I sincerely doubt I'm going to get into half of the bottles before next year, so storage is becoming a concern for me.

RjG--The bottles were unopen and from 4 different vendors. They were in the refigerator for over 3 months before I went to check on them. The reason why I checked them was that when the "green JC" issue was reported here, some of the Members that the juice went green on said that it had been in the Refigerator. Every bottle I opened had a rancid vulgar smell. I had some real old stuff laying around that I did not care for that I never bothered to put in the refigerator and it was still fine.

I have e-lquid here that is almost a year old and still is fine. So all I can say is I will not be revisiting the fridge when it comes to storing e-liquid. Everybody can go for it, but it is no coincedence to me as these bottles where never opened and all from four different vendors. Needless to say, IMO I killed them with kindness big time.

Sun

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
RjG--The bottles were unopen and from 4 different vendors. They were in the refigerator for over 3 months before I went to check on them. The reason why I checked them was that when the "green JC" issue was reported here, some of the Members that the juice went green on said that it had been in the Refigerator. Every bottle I opened had a rancid vulgar smell. I had some real old stuff laying around that I did not care for that I never bothered to put in the refigerator and it was still fine.

I have e-lquid here that is almost a year old and still is fine. So all I can say is I will not be revisiting the fridge when it comes to storing e-liquid. Everybody can go for it, but it is no coincedence to me as these bottles where never opened and all from four different vendors. Needless to say, IMO I killed them with kindness big time.

Sun
Like you said Sun....Juice in fridge=Loss of $.....Take my word folks...Just keep your food in there..Not e-liquid!!:)The Wiz!

Sun

I do see that you feel it's clear but you haven't really shown a cause-effect relationship - or any mechanism.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Like you said Sun....Juice in fridge=Loss of $.....Take my word folks...Just keep your food in there..Not e-liquid!!:)The Wiz!

That is my take on it Wiz. I have bought a lot of e-liquid coming on a year now and the only stuff I ever lost was what I put in that fridge. Now Big Jim gets hit with it as well.

Sun

That is my take on it Wiz. I have bought a lot of e-liquid coming on a year now and the only stuff I ever lost was what I put in that fridge. Now Big Jim gets hit with it as well.

Sun

Where's the BigJim thread?

Even 2 cases doesn't prove anything. It needs looking at the cases for other possible explanations. Too early to draw conclusions.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Where's the BigJim thread?

Even 2 cases doesn't prove anything. It needs looking at the cases for other possible explanations. Too early to draw conclusions.

Kinna--Nobody is trying to prove anything--I have said 20 times, I took a hit, and that is it. I will say it for the last time---I am not telling anyone what they should do---what I am doing is reiterating what I posted many months ago because I got 12 PM's to repost the experiance. Peroid.

Sun

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Kinna--Nobody is trying to prove anything--I have said 20 times, I took a hit, and that is it. I will say it for the last time---I am not telling anyone what they should do---what I am doing is reiterating what I posted many months ago because I got 12 PM's to repost the experiance. Peroid.

Sun
Sun......There is no need for you to have to prove a point here.You just explained that you had misfortune when storing your liquid in a refridgerator...If anyone cares to follow suit and try storing it in there for research purposes..let them do so.All you did was to post the results you had with this approach for storing e-liquid! I have never had any e-liquid I have purchased in the past 6 months go bad on me for storing it in my basement, where it happens to be "Cool and Dry" Thanks for sharing your point of view Sun!!:)The Wiz!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Anybody know where is the thread where BigJim relates hos experience with fridge storage?

I think it is worth finding out if the fridge is good and bad.
kinabaloo...Perhaps BigJim mentioned this to Sun by PM.....I would try and contact BJ by PM also if your curious to what happened to him! I will take Sun's word on it!:)The Wiz!

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Thanks Kent.

Not even about fridged juice in that thread, in conclusion.

It is an important matter for many people, so I hope we can rationally gather the evidence either way.

Starting some experiments now (2x 10ml samples both in and out of fridge (4 altogether), for testing/comparing at say 2 months and 4 months) would take time but worth doing.
kinabaloo.....BigJim mentioned right there that he had put his liquid in a zip lock bag inside his fridge.As to whether that caused the "rancid" taste is questionable.I do appreciate the fact you are willing to put some of your own liquid to the test....and hope you will keep us posted as to the results! On the other side of that,I hope you are using some inexpensive e-liquid to try it out on! Good Luck!:)The Wiz!

kinabaloo.....BigJim mentioned right there that he had put his liquid in a zip lock bag inside his fridge.As to whether that caused the "rancid" taste is questionable.I do appreciate the fact you are willing to put some of your own liquid to the test....and hope you will keep us posted as to the results! On the other side of that,I hope you are using some inexpensive e-liquid to try it out on! Good Luck!:)The Wiz!

There's quite a few being using the fridge wiyhout problems already.

We don't need glib comments and jumping to conclusions; this matters to many people and we should stay open-minded and look at the issue carefully.

That a fridge might be damp is irreleant to an air-tight container.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
Some of this might be useful

Desiccants: Why moisture is important

And before you ask, yes i know they are talking about grain storage duh.

Some of the info is imortant though such as -

An example of this would be a container sealed on a day that was 70º F and 40% relative humidity. At that temperature the relative humidity would be quite reasonable for all but the most moisture sensitive food. However, should the temperature fall to 44º F the capacity of the air to hold water vapor would have dropped to the point that it could not contain what was sealed in at 77º F and the excess would be squeezed out to condense on the food

Meaning the air that enters the bottle when its open in the room is fine holding the moisture that is currently present. But when you cool that trapped air in the fridge it the will squeeze
out the moisture that it cannot hold and then that moisture will be free to infect your poor old niquid.

So i would assume that if you put your open bottle of liquid into the fridge and waited a couple minutes and then reached into the fridge and then put the lid on that would fix that problem. Assuming that the container the liquid is not porous and allow moisture in through the container itself whooo thats alot.

Last edited:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
There's quite a few being using the fridge wiyhout problems already.

We don't need glib comments and jumping to conclusions; this matters to many people and we should stay open-minded and look at the issue carefully.

That a fridge might be damp is irreleant to an air-tight container.
To those who are using thier fridge to store liquid without problems,I am happy that you have had no personal loss of liquid.To call comments "glib" or state that one is jumping to conclusions based on what a well respected member of this community has posted on several occasions is absurd! We shoud stay open-minded,I agree,But I also value the opinions of members who have had posted thier own results on this particular subject! To each thier own in regards to this matter!:)The Wiz!

I don't know quite why, instinct, gut feeling (same thing, different words ;)), but I just get the feeling of total honesty from Sun. I think he's stepped out of a comfort zone once again (I don't think I was here the first time) just to help others with what he feels is truth. I believe he did lose a lot of liquid while stored in the refrigerator and as he stated, it was different liquids from different companies, so the culprit wasn't a certain mixture from a certain company.

I think most of us, I know I do, feel that keeping items in the refrigerator is a safety factor, keeping an item cool keeps it fresh and protects it from breaking down and becoming unusable. I know I've kept cigarettes in the refrigerator, batteries, and so much more and it's always worked so it's difficult for me to step out of this comfort zone, especially with something that has cost me a lot of money, something that might get banned so it's that much more important to protect it. On top of that DH is soon retiring and I'm trying to get up enough e-liquid, etc. so that the first year or so will be cost free with my vaping.

I have this really strong feeling, perhaps Sun's honesty and desire to help others avoid going through what he did, that it's important to keep the liquid out of the refrigerator. So until I feel otherwise, and get information that convinces me otherwise, I for one will keep the liquid out of the refrigerator.

That being said, I guess all that is left is, thank you Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread