"freezing" juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PG freeze point -39 ° C.

Incidentally, PG oxidizes in the presence of heat and air to form lactic acid.

More heat than even the atty coil can give, I believe. There's no heat degradation or oxidation of PG at atomizer temp.s.

However, PG can undergo metabolic oxidation to pyruvic acid, acetic acid, lactic acid, and propionaldehyde. And possibly by bacteria too. I other words bacteria might be able to metabolise PG to give similar products to heat induced oxidation.

Last edited:
Maybe the problem is that the manufacturers seals (and/or container materials) are not as perfectly sealed as we would hope.

~~~

A possible explanation for what Sun found : his bottles in normal / high heat had a better seal due to expansion of the liquid and gasses in the container, tightening the seal, or contraction in the cold weakened the seal.

This doesn't mean we should keep them in the warm, but does suggest transfer to better containers once the juice arrives. Plastic is great for shipping (no breakage) but not for storage. Glass would be better, and a good cap like screw caps on wine bottles (with a plastic insert or washer; cork leaks). This deserves greater attention.

Or perhaps condensation or cold weakens a glue used in the seal. Again though, transfer to better (and better-sealed) containers would be the answer.

There are other explanations possible for a bad experience with fridgerating juice!

Last edited:
Last edited:

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
I know I might be pulling this thread OT just a bit but...

When e-liquid is transported internationally (via air), or nationally (via air or truck, etc...) Isn't there a definite possibility temperatures are reaching 32°F and below or 90°F and above? Aren't these adverse temperatures? It doesn't seem to have a bad effect on the juice. So do we think only long-term highs or lows are detrimental?

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
I know I might be pulling this thread OT just a bit but...

When e-liquid is transported internationally (via air), or nationally (via air or truck, etc...) Isn't there a definite possibility temperatures are reaching 32°F and below or 90°F and above? Aren't these adverse temperatures? It doesn't seem to have a bad effect on the juice. So do we think only long-term highs or lows are detrimental?

Yeah since it's summer, If i'm expecting usps with my juice i'm waiting at the mailbox for them. That box is hot hot hot, from sitting in their van all day.

OK just got another email, this one from Heaven's Gifts, or Ruyan Direct. He writes:

Thanks for your contacting.
The manufacturer suggest storage e-juice in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator. So we think it would be a very good way to store the e-juice in the refrigerator. But please do keep it out of reach of children and do not freeze it.
Yours sincerely,
Heaven Gifts

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Refridgerator for almost 2 years now (only small bottles for a week ahead in the room). Never had any problem. Perhaps your e-liquid (or the air in your bottle) was contaminated even before putting it in the fridge, and the same would have happened wherever you would have put it, Sun...
(I do see to it that the liquid in my fridge has as little air as possible in the bottle - if I take out any substantial part of a bottle, I put the rest in a smaller bottle so it again has little or no air in with it).

But this is one of those questions that just keeps popping up; and keeps getting answers that are as opposite to each other as possible... so perhaps best answer: do what you are comfortable with, and take your chances... I'm quite comfortable with 'very cold', that I know; but to each their own of course, just sharing my experience. :)

I've got a small dorm refreigerator that is exclusively for bottles of herbs and vitamins. I do keep some candy in it, but that's about the only food stuff in it. My batteries are in there too. I'm keeping it just a notch below cool (the lowest temperature) and so far so good. I feel good about where I'm keeping it at a cool, but not really cold temperature.

Already dunit. I keep our freezer @ -8° F

This will be interesting. If after a few days, and warming up before use, it seems as good as normal, then the prospects are good for this as a longer term option. Particularly as people generally have more freezer space than fridge space.

Let us know how it goes ...

Steve_tdo - if you have a small 5ml plastic bottle to try for a few days it would be good to have a second result :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread