Freezing nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Hi, gettin ready to purchase 2 liter's of nicotine to store, I've read lot's of mixed reviews about freezing nicotine. Nicotine comes in HDPE plastic bottle, was told I could put in freezer no problem.

Doesn't make sense to purhcase nicotine, along with ton's of additonal glass bottles. Manufacturer's/vendors should supply nicotine this way. Additional glass bottles can purchase more nicotine, Lol !! I froze 120ml pg base in 4 amber bottles, a few weeks ago, liquid is not frozen, just super cold. 2 liters is alot !!

How long can I put HDPE nicotine in kitchen closet shelf ? Will HDPE work in freezer ? Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
There isn't a problem with freezing nicotine.

In general, glass is preferred (and amber or cobalt preferred even more, since it also blocks light). Glass is airtight, and won't leach out anything into your e-liquid.

Storing in plastic bottles raises 2 concerns, but the actual magnitude of these isn't clear. The first is that chemicals may leach out of the plastic over time, giving the liquid a bad taste (and potentially making it more harmful). The second is that many plastics are somewhat porous to air, and this allows continued oxidation of the nicotine to occur.

How serious are these concerns? Not sure. I have some stored in glass, and some stored in plastic. Haven't yet used the stuff in plastic, but I expect it will be fine.

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Just spoke with vendor, whom states HDPE bottles are recommended for freezing or storing in fridge. Long as light does not penetrate plastic, such as clear plastic, light color plastic etc...... Solid color plastic is recommended. Glass bottles can crack in freezer temps. Also vendor recommends using nicotine placed in fridge with HDPE bottle for use less then a year. Lucky, I'm vape 3mg nic, should be 0 nic bout time I go through 1 liter nic :thumb:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Just spoke with vendor, whom states HDPE bottles are recommended for freezing or storing in fridge. Long as light does not penetrate plastic, such as clear plastic, light color plastic etc...... Solid color plastic is recommended. Glass bottles can crack in freezer temps. Also vendor recommends using nicotine placed in fridge with HDPE bottle for use less then a year. Lucky, I'm vape 3mg nic, should be 0 nic bout time I go through 1 liter nic :thumb:

Is that to say that HDPE freezer-stored nic should be used within less than a year of storing it or if storing more than a year, use something else as a container?

Reactions: Arriss

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I've got glass and hdpe bottles of nicotine in my freezer.

The HDPE collapse a bit, but work fine. (they are a solid brown color) Glass works fine. HDPE is fairly inert for what I'm storing.

Note, the only substance I know of that expands when cold is water and there is a super tiny amount of water in my bottles, so the stuff in them contracts instead.

personal choice really...

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Reason I state I read mixed reviews, alot of factors varies, depending on quality of glass, thickness of glass, not all fridge/freezers are created equal, freezer temps, etc..... The magical question is, what's the best temp to freeze glass bottles.

Never heard of glass bottles breaking at freezer temps. I've never had a problem. Not saying it couldn't happen, just never heard of it happening.

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Regridgerated stored HDPE contained nicotine, should be used less then a year. Was also advised to store container in plastic bag, for fridge use. Didn't discuss freezer stored nicotine time length.

Awesome username! that was my username at another forum.

Is that to say that HDPE freezer-stored nic should be used within less than a year of storing it or if storing more than a year, use something else as a container?

Last edited:

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Awesome ! thanks for sharing.

I've got glass and hdpe bottles of nicotine in my freezer.

The HDPE collapse a bit, but work fine. (they are a solid brown color) Glass works fine. HDPE is fairly inert for what I'm storing.

Note, the only substance I know of that expands when cold is water and there is a super tiny amount of water in my bottles, so the stuff in them contracts instead.

personal choice really...

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Don't know the ins and outs of different methods from personal experience but all of my nic is in glass with poly seal caps in vacuum seal bags and stored in an icebox hovering around 0F. No defrost cycle. Bottles are filled near the rim with no leakage or breakage. Some will be 2 years old in a couple months. None have shown any sign of degradation, discoloration, or changes in flavor profile when pulled out. I have nic in both pg and vg base from different well known vendors. All seem to store the same. Maybe differences will show up in a few years. Maybe not.

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Thanks for sharing Bob. Would certainly put nicotine in amber glass bottles if stored for several years or more. Was curious, cause I never ordered large amount of nicotine before. 1 gallon would last me a decade, Lol !!!

Don't know the ins and outs of different methods from personal experience but all of my nic is in glass with poly seal caps in vacuum seal bags and stored in an icebox hovering around 0F. No defrost cycle. Bottles are filled near the rim with no leakage or breakage. Some will be 2 years old in a couple months. None have shown any sign of degradation, discoloration, or changes in flavor profile when pulled out. I have nic in both pg and vg base from different well known vendors. All seem to store the same. Maybe differences will show up in a few years. Maybe not.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Thanks for sharing Bob. Would certainly put nicotine in amber glass bottles if stored for several years or more. Was curious, cause I never ordered large amount of nicotine before. 1 gallon would last me a decade, Lol !!!

Since light and air are the 2 biggest enemies of nic base, it's a good practice to break it down into sizes that will only be out of the freezer for 3 months or so. For me that is 120mls but I also mix for 3-4 people. You'll need to do the math and figure it out for what you mix.

After 3+ months, the nic that is removed from the freezer will turn a little yellow. Totally normal and no big deal whatsoever. Just part of the oxidation process. I actually like mixing my unflavored with the oxidized nic. Has a nice flavor to it all by itself.

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Thanks for info Bob, definetly will help for future referance. Did all the math, I make 30ml bottles, 1.5 ml nic per bottle, so 60mg/120 ml bottle nic will make 80 bottles. Which will last me a year. 120 x 10 years = 1200ml's = 1 liter.

I'd have to purchase an awful lot of amber glass bottles to store nicotine in freezer, for a decade. Probably would have been easier to purchase ten 120ml bottles, but cost alot more. Oh well, I'll figure it all out.

Pg/Vg goes quite rapidly, that's what I need to stock up on.

Since light and air are the 2 biggest enemies of nic base, it's a good practice to break it down into sizes that will only be out of the freezer for 3 months or so. For me that is 120mls but I also mix for 3-4 people. You'll need to do the math and figure it out for what you mix.

After 3+ months, the nic that is removed from the freezer will turn a little yellow. Totally normal and no big deal whatsoever. Just part of the oxidation process. I actually like mixing my unflavored with the oxidized nic. Has a nice flavor to it all by itself.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Arriss, I bought my nic in liter bottles and just broke it down. You can get amber or cobalt glass bottles with poly seal caps for a buck or 2 each. I bought mine from RTS with my first nic order.

Once I use one I just move it over to my juice shelf and fill with my favorite recipes. Mixed juice stores great in glass. Much easier to get rid of residual flavors when washing vs plastic. Glass bottles are multi-taksers :)

Reactions: Arriss

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Hi Bob, thanks for sharing. Think I have it all figured out, Lol !!! I already have six 30ml amber bottles, need ten 120ml amber bottles, for freezer storing. Just placed my order, thanks. Should be fun transferring 1 lilter of nic, Lol !!

Hmm, didn't think of putting juice in glass bottles. Actually I vape to fast to store any, Rofl !! Will give it a try with extra bottles.

Arriss, I bought my nic in liter bottles and just broke it down. You can get amber or cobalt glass bottles with poly seal caps for a buck or 2 each. I bought mine from RTS with my first nic order.

Once I use one I just move it over to my juice shelf and fill with my favorite recipes. Mixed juice stores great in glass. Much easier to get rid of residual flavors when washing vs plastic. Glass bottles are multi-taksers :)

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
HDPE is permeable to both water and oxygen. I use amber glass just sitting on a shelf in my basement. It's reasonably temperature stable and no sunlight. My only concern is the caps, which are plastic of course. I wrap a rubber based tape around the caps but for the really long term I bet the caps are permeable also. I guess I'll find out in about a decade lol.

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Thanks for sharing, glass bottles are a start, you can alway's change caps later, I'm sure bottles will do well in basement. Goodl luck.

HDPE is permeable to both water and oxygen. I use amber glass just sitting on a shelf in my basement. It's reasonably temperature stable and no sunlight. My only concern is the caps, which are plastic of course. I wrap a rubber based tape around the caps but for the really long term I bet the caps are permeable also. I guess I'll find out in about a decade lol.

Reactions: Mad Scientist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread