Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixRising

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Concord, NC USA
I am sure someone will do a more comprehensive thread at some point, but I thought I would make it easier on us all by starting a thread where each of us can post the question we answer most, and the answers that we found with regard to this model. I will start:

Q. I thought cartomizers were disposable. Can you refill them like you refill carts for the other models? It seems expensive to just toss out a cartomizer when the juice is gone.

A. You can absolutely refill a cartomizer, in fact, most of us do. I personally refill mine at least 6 times each, and quite often more than that! Once you get used to it, refilling a cartomizer is just as easy as refilling a cart on the other models. An added benefit - cartomizers hold much more juice than carts and as a result you refill them less often! Here is a great video by kc0cmp showing one of the methods.

For those who can't view videos, some written instructions:

Refilling a cartomizer:
  1. Take the cartomizer off of the battery and insert the plug piece. Some also put on an end cap condom for stability while working.
  2. Hold the cartomizer with your non primary hand. Use a dental hook or other strong metal hook to insert into the mouthpiece end. You can either brute force it here (yank hard as heck) or you can gently pry going around in circles to loosen all the edges.
  3. Remove both the plastic cap and the inner "o" ring. At this point you should be able to see the batting and the metal piece that is hooked into it.
  4. Hold the empty cartomizer with the open end toward you at a slight angle and drip 10-20 drops into the batting (I let it run down the side). The drop variation is significant because all juices have different thicknesses and different bottle drip larger or smaller drops.
  5. If you have a small white section left unsaturated you can add one or two more drops to that side.
  6. If you have pooling above the batting you can try the plunger method. Take one of the round condoms that comes with each cartomizer and place it over the still open mouthpiece end. Slide it down about half way and place your fingers underneath the edge to hold it in place and keep it from slipping when you "plunge." Use your other hand to gently plunge the condom up and down, this will shove juice further down into the batting and help clear out any that spilled in the center tube. If you still have pooling, twist up a Kleenex and mop out the juice.
  7. Put the "o" ring back in so it is flush with the top of the mouthpiece end. Put the white cap back on (this will push down the o ring to the right position)
  8. Remove the plug from the battery end.
  9. You can use it now or save it for later. If you save it, just keep the plug in place and condom both ends (will keep the batting moist longer)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Are KR808d-1's compatable with 901's?

The KR808 batteries will take a 901 atomizer, but the cartomizer will NOT fit a 901 battery.
You can get an adapter that allows you to use a cartomizer with a 901 from Rob at Vapor Country.
This adapter is just like a 901 manual battery extender for your charger..except it has a hole for air flow!

Happy Halloween!
bat2.gif

bat2.gif

Ironman39

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Arkansas
I've been thinking about trying the KR808 to use as a more convenient away from home device. I love to drip with my prodigy at home, but find inconvenient to use while driving, etc. I can only vape VG juices, so I was wondering if anyone offers any good VG cartomizers for it. I also wonder how it performs compared to 5v and 3.7v mods, such as the prodigy and screwdriver.

i don't want to threadjack or anything, but i figured it's a questions thread. this is my first e cig and i like it so far. the only question is on the exhale i feel almost like a burn in my throat...kinda like it just gets super dry. is it supposed to feel like that? am i doing it wrong or somethin? i've noticed that it's like that with the pre-filled cartomizers i got from nhaler.com and when i refill them it's not so bad. difference between the 16mg fluid pre-filled and the 12mg lung juice i refill it with? i've played with some techniques i suppose, but the ones i use for the 12mg don't work with the 16mg. any help is appreciated. thanks

I've found that drinking a lot of water helps lol. I'm guessing that the pre-filled liquid is full of PG and it's alcohol based which would absorb moisture n what not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drew's Lung Juice is VG based? I'm not sure, but now when I refill them I always get liquid in my mouth. Doesn't really taste the best if you ask me.

arkangel

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
I've found that drinking a lot of water helps lol. I'm guessing that the pre-filled liquid is full of PG and it's alcohol based which would absorb moisture n what not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Drew's Lung Juice is VG based? I'm not sure, but now when I refill them I always get liquid in my mouth. Doesn't really taste the best if you ask me.
Lung Juice is VG-based (according to Nhaler website).

Also, if you're getting juice in your mouth, you could be overfilling (been there myself for sure!). Does the carto "gurgle" when you inhale after refilling? If so, over a paper towel (or the sink), you can blow sharply once through the mouth piece to clear excess juice, or you can try waiting awhile after refilling to let the juice soak into the filler material a little more. I always take a "practice" drag after refilling before a full-blown vape: if it gurgles I know I've gone past the limit or the juice hasn't soaked in yet. This is especially true for the VG-based juice I've been trying lately--seems thicker than PG and seems to need some time to soak in properly.

Thanks for the help guys. I talked to Snarky about some tips and he too said I'm probably overfilling them or not letting them soak enough. He gave me some tips to help especially since I don't have a syringe to fill them up. I just fill all of the ones that I'm not using or spent at night and let them soak it after giving the slight blows through both ends. Seems to be working great. Again thanks for the help guys, I really like the supportive community of Vapers

Mosin

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Highland, CA
Seeing as though I am too much of a nube to post my own thread, I thought this would be a good question for the FAQ:

Does anyone know of a replacement juice that approximates the pre-filled "555" KR-808 cartomizer taste? I am in love with that flavor, and unfortunately other 555's and tobaccos (Drew's juice, Tasty Vapor) are good but not the same. Thanks!

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
It wasn't my idea (or picture), but this is what I use to get the cap off and then the silicone ring out:

clip.jpg

Just straighten the "handle" part a bit.

LOL I have been using these for pulling 510 carts apart to 86 the juice in the overflow trap. These work without modification for 510s, and VERY helpful for the cost (about free if you have some).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread