From NEWPORT to Electronic Cigarettes - STRONGEST THROAT HIT - Complete Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

Time to report back on my progress.

Thursday evening I received my KR808 starter kit and two 30ml bottles of juice at 24mg nicotine.

I familiarized myself with the equipment and placed the batteries in their charger as instructed by the manual.

Next I searched the web on how to refill blank cartomizers and decided to use the “condom method” by following this video:

A double demo! The Cartomizer Condom Filling Method, and the Taryn Spin. - YouTube (the intro is a bit silly but the demo worked like a charm for me)

I left the cartomizer sit for about 30 mins (I read somewhere I should do this).

Finally the time came to pick up my battery and try this thing called vaping I had been reading so much about.

First a side note: As a Newport smoker (strong menthol and throat hit) I searched the internet extensively for the best possible liquid to match my cigarette of choice. I comb this forum and many others and all arrows pointed toward the nhaler.com NuPort with 24mg nicotine.

I was very excited and ready to throw my cigarettes out the window. (As a devout smoker I had discovered in the past few months that I was developing an alarming allergy to tobacco and even the smell started to bather me so I had high hopes for a possible alternative.)

I carefully read the beginner's tutorial on this site and did exactly as I was instructed.

Took three small puffs without inhaling and then...

...came my first real puff...

First thing that went through my mind: "What the hell is this?"

It tasted nothing like a Newport. What was everyone talking about? How can anyone think this tastes like a Newport!

I puffed away because the throat hit was as strong as my cigarettes when I break off the filter if not stronger. I puffed and I puffed and then I got a bit of a headache (something which never happens to me). I figured I'd better stop. I told myself I'd be smoking a Newport in no time. Five minutes past but I didn't feel like smoking a cigarette so I went on about my business thinking I had gotten so much nicotine from the vapor I better take it easy.

I thought about smoking before going to sleep but then decided against it.

I woke up still not craving a cigarette and waited to see what would happen after lunch (smoking after a meal is my favorite time to smoke, those who claim the best cigarette is the one after sex are clueless). I ate a good lunch and instead of lighting my usual cigarette I went for the KR808. I figured I should give it another chance. The first hit made me cough (a rarity), the second one was better and in no time I was vaping away. At this point it kind of tasted like a Newport.

I thought to myself: "Hey, this could work."

It didn't compare much to a cigarette in terms of taste and feel but in terms of satisfaction it kind of worked.

I delve right into further research and discovered a vapor bar was open on the other side of town and figured I would have to visit it to continue my search for that Newport taste which eluded me.

Meanwhile I discovered the existence of a large array of PVs and the option of variable voltage. I watched as many videos on youtube as I could and started falling in love with the ProVari (was this just a case of gadgets addiction?)

I figured how silly it would be for me to buy a $250 starter kit only to abandon the whole vaping idea a few weeks down the line ...my thought went to the surf board in my garage, the rock climbing gear, the racing bike, radio station equipment and all the things I bought over the years, used a few times and left in a corner to collect dust (as you can see I have a problem). Then I thought: "Damn, that ProVari sure looks shiny and nice, I'll be the envy of all the vapers." ..then I quickly realized I actually don't know any vapers.

To make a short story longer I vaped the whole day and didn't smoke any of my beloved cigarettes.

The next day I got in my car and drove to the other side of town to visit the vapor store. As I walked in I was overwhelmed by the quantity of e-juices; shelves after shelves from floor to ceiling covered with e-juices. I thought: “Newport here I come!”

I spoke to a few clueless but very polite employ who told me I could taste as many juices as I wanted (mind you, at this point I had only tried the NuPort and the 555 Menthol from nhaler.com and I couldn't even tell the difference between those).

I got my PV out, borrowed a drip tip and went hunting for my menthol fix. I tried all the menthol I could get my hands on from winter green to honey mint, from mint ice cream to Marlboro Menthol and it went from bad to worse to I've lost control of my taste buds. All in all everything was pretty disgusting making me realize perhaps I had been lucky to start my vaping experience with nhaler.com's NuPort juice. The salesman read the disappointment on my face and offered to make a juice for me right then and there and modify it based on my instructions and taste. I was pretty hopeless by this point but figured I had nothing to loose.

We went over to the counter and we started looking for the right tobacco flavor then the right mint flavor and then the nicotine amount. I spent the next twenty minutes trying out his concoctions and saying “more mint” or “more nicotine”. After a while I felt bed for him so I just said it tested fine and to give me a bottle to go. He obliged.

As I was getting ready to leave I couldn't help myself ….almost uncontrollably my lips moved uttering these words: “Do you carry the ProVari?”

He could have said no and I wold have walked away with my pride intact but he said yes! “Can I see it I said?” I said without missing a bit. He was more then happy to comply. It was version 2 with the blue led. First thing I though was: “Of course I need this! I need it! I need it! I need it!” ….maybe I'll go surfing with it. That sobered me up.

Thankfully however their prices are what I like to call “airport prices” ...meaning they assume you've got no other options so they stick it to you real good. I wasn't going to buy it but I asked if I could try it. He loaded his juice in it, I set it at 5.5 volt (after watching all the videos I looked like an expert scrolling through that blue hypnotizing menu).

I brought the cartomizer up to my lips and took my first ProVari variable voltage vape and made a startling discovery. JUICE TASTES DIFFERENT FROM ON VAPORIZER TO ANOTHER. The minty concoction was actually much better compered to what it tasted like in my vaporizer. I discovered yet another variable that could play a role in my quest for Newport.

I held the ProVari for a few seconds longer thinking you know what then my best judgment got a hold of me and I set it back on the counter. I picked up my juices and walked out proud that my thriftiness kept my excitement in check.

Could all this people claiming to have found the perfect NuPort taste be vaping their juice through a variable voltage vaporizer? It's a possibility ...but now I know that if I want to get serious about vaping my next step would be to find out.

And so began the search for my next vaporizer. Lava Tube, Buzz Pro, Darwin, Prodigy or ProVari? These are just some of the names I've been researching and the more I search the more I find.

My story has just began but if you're as serious about smoking as I was and want to give vaping a try don't let your KR808 starter kit be where it ends. Knowing what I know now I would have skipped this step and jumped right to a serious mod but getting wiser is done one step at the time and the KR808 was a valid step.

Sooner than later I'll have to make a decision on just how far I'm willing to take my vaping. For now my carton of Newport cigarettes has been left untouched since Thursday afternoon but the wait period on the Provape site for a ProVari is 7 to 10 days and that's a long time to curb an addiction I've always encouraged.

Perhaps there are too many options out there and when you take your first step into this world, like myself you may feel overwhelmed, but the people here are always willing to lend a hand so don't be afraid to ask because now there's one more person who may be able to answer.

Last edited:

Xavier

Apr 2, 2012
Orlando
Great followup story on your quest! I originally smoked Newport 100's and like you couldn't find the right taste although the desire for such taste was quick removed.

The next day I got in my car and drove to the other side of town to visit the vapor store. As I walked in I was overwhelmed by the quantity of e-juices; shelves after shelves from floor to ceiling covered with e-juices. I thought: “Newport here I come!”

I spoke to a few clueless but very polite employ who told me I could taste as many juices as I wanted

Wow I actually had a dream about such a place

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I smoked for close to 30 years, and smoked Newport for 30 years. It was suggested to me when I started to get a basic ego kit. I didn't know if I even wanted to quit or if I'd try it once and stick it in the closet so the $30 investment was fine for me.

I did a forum search and read reviews and saw nhalers nuport mentioned a lot and ordered it. It worked for me, thank goodness because it was the only juice I ordered. Got it in 12 & 24mg strength to mix. 24 was perfect to get me off cigs. I also got a small bottle of 555 menthol that I didn't really care for.

This basic setup worked for me. Ego, cartos, drip tip and juice. I knew nothing about ohms and voltage, just got it and started using it. Even if the batteries don't last forever, if they last 3 months, that's about $5 a month for a battery. If I had to do over again I might have started with an epower- maybe, maybe not. Every pv has their own set of issues. It doesn't really matter at this point, the $30 ego kit got me off cigarettes. Ten dollars more gets you a kgo or epower.

My advice is order something, and stick with it. Your tastes change so don't go nuts ordering a bunch of juice. You'll just waste a lot of money and cartos that way. When your off cigs, treat yourself at your 6 month or year anniversary to an upgrade. I used the basic ego style batteries for close to a year. Still use them a lot.

Thank you Xavier, yes I figured I would put as much details as I could so people can learn from my quest :)

Sweedishfish, you put it perfectly! nhaler juice does not taste like Newport cigarettes but somehow takes care of the craving, it is a different experience but nonetheless a satisfying one.

On a side note, of course I cracked and bought the ProVari so there you have it :) at least I got it off of the provape site so I saved some money.

I've also turned my brother in law onto e-cigs and told him to start from the kGo. I think the consensus out there is that the kGo is the best entry level vaporizer. What do you guys think?

He's a Camel light smoker so I hope he can find the right juice.

Thank you guys for all the help and advice.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
One big thing I'm going to tell you right now bud, your brand of cigarette hardly matters. The very vast majority of smokers think it does when they get into vaping, and you always see them naming off the brand of stinky they like only for them to end up vaping passionfruit and blueberry waffle.

Look at my name. That Salem is for Salem cigarettes, one of my brands I smoked for YEARS (before switching to american spirits for the last two years of my smoking). I won't even touch tobacco juices generally. Right now I'm vaping Fuzzyberry and Hulk Smash. Lol.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I think if you're ready to switch, almost any juice that's strong enough will do. I started with a Chinese menthol on a 510 and at the first puff I was ready to go. Today is my one year anniversary and I've spent a lot on equipment and juice, but that first little guy with 24mg juice was enough to get me started too. Congratulations!

@DietSalem You make an interesting point and I guess eventually people do tend to get off the tobacco taste however for some of those making the switch the tobacco is essential :) ...like I said in my previous post, I tried about 20 liquids last week and did not like any (especially the fruity or sweet ones). I love the Newport taste so I'm glad I went with something similar. Maybe one day I too will vape Hulk Smash :) until then I'll stick with NuPort.

@440BB Happy anniversary :) and thank you for the encouragement. Certainly making the switch is partly a state of mind. As long as you get your nicotine fix it's all good.

@Kay1959 Thank you and happy vaping to you as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread