funny taste with my first coil builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huehugh

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
So I just started rebuilding my coils for my kanger minis. I watched all the YouTube videos and felt pretty confident with the way my builds looked. They fired right at .5 ohms... 5 wraps on 26g kanthal. I'm getting plenty of vapor and no bubbling. I'd be pretty happy but the juice just tastes weird! I don't know what it is. . Maybe the cotton? Not getting a good flavor from my mech sauce juices. I'm not sure that ya'll will have any advice but I'm perplexed.

Yonjuro

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2015
Western Australia
I had that with my first 2 builds - it was dry hits, yeah there is vapour but it tasted horrible and acrid. It was certainly my wicking. I went back and watched a few more vids just concentrating on the wicking sections and have it worked out now. It really is a balance between too much and too little cotton, it also takes around 1/4 tank for the juice to start to taste good with new cotton ...in my limited experience. Check your coils again or even just make a fresh one if you think there is any part that might be creating a hot spot etc.

Believe me I was very frustrated and ready to hurl my new authentic Kayfun V4 through the computer screen LOL

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I just started rebuilding my coils for my kanger minis. I watched all the YouTube videos and felt pretty confident with the way my builds looked. They fired right at .5 ohms... 5 wraps on 26g kanthal. I'm getting plenty of vapor and no bubbling. I'd be pretty happy but the juice just tastes weird! I don't know what it is. . Maybe the cotton? Not getting a good flavor from my mech sauce juices. I'm not sure that ya'll will have any advice but I'm perplexed.

Did you give the Coil a Quick Pulse or 2 of Power at Low Watts to "Dry Burn" it and to check for Hot Spots?

Coil Wire can have Residual Oils on them from the Manufacturing and Spoiling Process. And Handling a Coil can leave Oils from you Skin on a Coil.

Lastly. What type of Cotton are you Using?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I find that cotton has a break in period. The first few mils on a tank or an RDA with fresh wicking always seems to have an off straw-like taste. Then it's all good.
If this is not the case, check your coil for hot-spots and even heating, improve your wicking, use a thinner juice and/or reduce or wattage

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
i can only think of 2 things 1. cotton the taste goes away after vaping it for a few hits though ( i vape on rayon it has a nasty taste at first but goes away fast and some cotton i used has a funky taste that also goes away )
2. dry hits. you will KNOW when it is dry. try checking your wicking don't overly pack it and don't under pack it as well. takes practice i've went through a lot of wick and wire just to build my first couple of set ups. i suggest buying cotton in bulk i bought 500ft of rayon for $20 at sally's beauty supplies store in my state idk where you can buy bulk cotton online sure.

Salt&PePPer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Bakersfield
You don't want to Test Dry Cotton to see if your Coil has hot spot's because you will more than likely burn the Cotton. So go ahead and put some juice on it before you try to look for "Hot Spots"!

A proper working coil should turn red from the middle first then work out to where it is connected to the device!

If you think it's the coil causing it just rinse the wire and dry it before making the coil.

Also you never said exactly which type of cotton you were using; either that or I missed it. Don't forget with most Cotton you have to wash it before use.

Last edited:

prawdaeh

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Did you give the Coil a Quick Pulse or 2 of Power at Low Watts to "Dry Burn" it and to check for Hot Spots?

Coil Wire can have Residual Oils on them from the Manufacturing and Spoiling Process. And Handling a Coil can leave Oils from you Skin on a Coil.

Lastly. What type of Cotton are you Using?

I was wondering if someone was going to mention skin oils. When I walk in to my vapor shop and they're building a coil for someone and not wearing gloves... I'm just like ewww. Personally when building coils I make sure to wash my hands thoroughly and even then I'll put on a pair of silicon or rubber gloves to keep my hands off whatever I'm putting into my build. Always dry fire your coils before wicking them to ensure any oils of any type are vaped off of the coil.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I was wondering if someone was going to mention skin oils. When I walk in to my vapor shop and they're building a coil for someone and not wearing gloves... I'm just like ewww. Personally when building coils I make sure to wash my hands thoroughly and even then I'll put on a pair of silicon or rubber gloves to keep my hands off whatever I'm putting into my build. Always dry fire your coils before wicking them to ensure any oils of any type are vaped off of the coil.

This is Also a good Idea when handling Cotton.

I use Cotton Pads. And I tend to Grab/Hold the pad at the exact same spot Every Time when I cut strips out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread