Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I think there's an almost even split between whether we'll be banned in five years or whether we'll be in some sort of vaping nirvana in five years, it all depends on who we make happy and who we piss off and what lobbyist gets a stick up their rectum.

The dna boards Evolv are putting out will make modding stupid easier and I think it will get to a point that we are paying for the quality of the devices as far as fit and finish rather than the complication of making VV mods ourself, because the boards will make it so almost anyone can make a varible wattage box-mod. They seem very simple to wire. Bring on the quality-wars.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
We had the same fears and concerns when we first switched from cigarettes to ecigs three years ago. Rumors flew that there could be a total crackdown on ecigs and the FDA was attacking on all fronts. We stocked up, for a time. Since that time ecig use and the quality of ecigs has grown even more. People who never heard of ecigs back then now pretty much know someone who uses an ecig and awareness has grown. The Blu-Lorillard news is the first sign BT has tired of bad mouthing ecigs (and they did) and are beginning to face reality. Count us among those who fear BT does not and will not have our best interests at heart.
It has always been Big Pharma and rabid anti tobacco organizations who have been our foes--not big tobacco. Some in this group have joined and donated to CASAA to help fight the Federal,State,and Local Bans and legislation. Please check the CASAA site,join CASAA,read all the information on the site and you will understand the background on this fight to preserve our right to use ecigs. You might even consider donating to the "cause" and help to fight bans and legislation. Your support and help will go a long way in all our success.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
I hope it's ok for me to post here. But I think suppliers opinions are vital to this discussion. BT has been waiting in the wings from the beginning....I would bet on that. They were just waiting for the right time...and a company willing to prostitute itself for them. (NO offense to the ladies who practice that profession..really). My biggest fear is big tobacco muscling in and fooling people like us.....the wolf in sheeps clothing as it were......offering their mighty protective wing from big bad FDA while getting more and more companies to sell out to them......until one day you will open a magazine and see an ad like this:

21-Camels-smoke-a-fresh-cigarette-doctor.jpg

And people will start wondering why it is that they simply can't put down their ecig......and all that we thought we knew about addiction and cigarettes.....the FACT that some people can be addicted to SMOKING without being addicted to nicotine....goes out the window.....because RJR is adding freebase nicotine to their ecigs.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
It has always been Big Pharma and rabid anti tobacco organizations who have been our foes--not big tobacco. Some in this group have joined and donated to CASAA to help fight the Federal,State,and Local Bans and legislation. Please check the CASAA site,join CASAA,read all the information on the site and you will understand the background on this fight to preserve our right to use ecigs. You might even consider donating to the "cause" and help to fight bans and legislation. Your support and help will go a long way in all our success.
CASAA needs your help.

I think there will always be the possibility of a ban,UK,US or anywhere for that matter, as soon as the 'Powers that Be' realise that more and more people are joining the 'Vaping' experience and less and less are 'Smoking'.
This is why taxes keep rising.There has to be a tipping point for anyone, when they say enough is enough and they give up or turn to Vaping or some other substitute.Meanwhile as long as the governments can sqeeze the same amount of money/tax every year, out of the remaining unfortunates,they will.
But in the mean time they will look for other contingency plans to justify their existence.

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
Vaping may very well be Big Tobacco's best chance at prolonging it's life. My understanding is the niquid we buy is extracted from the tobacco plant. They haven't found a way to synthesize it in a way that's good for anything other than industrial use. Vaping gets rid of a lot of the concerns people have about smoking. It could increase consumption and interest younger consumers.

The thing I worry about from them is that we'll see them adding other addictive and possibly harmful chemicals as they have to cigarettes over the years. But then hopefully, we'll still have the niquid equivalent of companies like American Spirit that can survive and just give us plain old nicotine. I like having choices in quality and vendor. I like the fact that our current community has room for the small business to differentiate itself.

The biggest threat I see right now is Big Pharma. They want us on Chantix, anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, and other mood altering substances that they can patent. They want to be able to charge exorbitant fees that will be covered by insurance. It's in their interest to make sure people think this is harmful.

They're both absolute behemoths. I think, with the pressure to control health care costs, BT stands a decent chance on this one. However, it's scary how much lobbying money BP can bring to bear.

Scary thought: What if they get a win-win having BP develop patentable, brandable pharmaceuticals that BT can add to niquid? You can smoke your Prozac or your Xanax. Seems like it would be a fast delivery system. Can't wait to see the ads for this.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
My biggest concern with BT getting involved is mainly due to their complete disregard for our safety. 500 additives? Why? It's not for our benefit, that's for sure. When they get into liquid manufacturing what will stop them from dumping things into it as "Flavour enhancers"? They definitely do not have addicts well being in mind, their only obligation is to shareholders. Same with pharma really. Push out some new liquid and 3 years down the road they recall because further testing has shown it's not fit for consumption, or hell, don't even pull from market. "Studies have shown this liquid may cause suicidal tendencies, diarroeah, vomiting, hair loss". Slap a warning on and buyer beware. Their money is a great lubricant, and it will grease a lot of wheels to overlook these things.

I'd love there to be "natural" alternatives, but (at least up here) the "good guys" like American Spirit come at a high premium. Sure, they aren't adding anything, but the cost is prohibitive for most average smokers. Eliquid would have the same barrier, getting a PG/VG mix with just flavouring and nic would have a distinct mark-up.

So that leaves us with china and homebrew. My opinion on Chinas qc is dismal at best. We're pretty much using homebrew now. With more regulation it will be pushed deep underground. We can all come on here and talk quite openly about it now, but if the whip cracks sites like this will have trouble sticking around without constant hassle and other legal pressure.

One thing is certain, things will definitely be changing for all of us in the next few years. It's already starting in multiple countries. I won't predict it will be good or bad, but change is definitely on the horizon. (warning, horrid analogy coming) We're in the wild west, but the east is slowly making it's way over.

I already have an exit strategy. I can only hope that I will be strong enough to stay off analogues when push comes to shove, but time will tell.

vpr_goat

Nov 11, 2012
Norfolk
BT is already slamming the e-cig community in that it is likening what we do to smoking other items that aren't entirely legal. Even if they were to start producing, this movement has gotten away from them already and they missed the jump. If the lobbyists want to push to ban or regulate them, BT has already missed the boat. They will continue to produce what they have for hundreds of years and we will be strictly regulated. But again, it is already so big that shutting us down would be extremely difficult and people would be able to get what they need. Just liken this to the war on drugs, that war has already lost and if they attempt to launch a war on us, that won't work either, we are already everywhere.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
At the rate were growing and with the support we have from people like Bill Godshall and Caasaa I cant see them outright banning e-cigs.

I CAN see big tobacco steping in and asking the fda to regulate the manufacture of juices in the hopes it will put the smll companies out of business and give them a larger slice of the pie.

I was at the first vapefest in Fredericksburg va back in 2009.Including vendors, there were maybe 40 people who showed up.This past Vapercon in Richmond Va they said something like 1600 people came through.

Im no mathematician but comparing the numbers over the course of 3 short years ,thats one hell of an exponential increase.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
BT is already slamming the e-cig community in that it is likening what we do to smoking other items that aren't entirely legal. Even if they were to start producing, this movement has gotten away from them already and they missed the jump. If the lobbyists want to push to ban or regulate them, BT has already missed the boat. They will continue to produce what they have for hundreds of years and we will be strictly regulated. But again, it is already so big that shutting us down would be extremely difficult and people would be able to get what they need. Just liken this to the war on drugs, that war has already lost and if they attempt to launch a war on us, that won't work either, we are already everywhere.

Actually, the situation is the opposite of the way you view it.

The organizations that urged the FDA to ban e-cigarettes include the American Lung Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and Campaign for Tobacco-free Kids. BP, not BT, donates millions of dollars to these organizations.

BP stands for Big Pharma and refers to the drug companies that make smoking cessation medications and drugs to treat smoking-related diseases.

The Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights created model legislation that has been widely distributed across the country when the local AHA or ALA representative shows up and demands that the city or state adopt a sales ban or a ban on indoor usage. ANR and CFTK have been funded by Master Settlement Agreement monies.

In contrast, tobacco companies are looking to e-cigarettes and other alternatives to take up the slack as sales of tobacco cigarettes continue to fall. Lorrilard bought a large company, Blu Ecigs earlier this year.

See: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sales-14-million-blu-ecigs-during-3q2012.html

It is important to know your enemy. HINT: The government is not your friend. Neither are all of the organizations that were nagging you for years to quit, and then turn around and try to get rid of the one thing you finally found that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread