Future of E-Cigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Actually, the situation is the opposite of the way you view it.

The organizations that urged the FDA to ban e-cigarettes include the American Lung Association, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, and Campaign for tobacco-free Kids. BP, not BT, donates millions of dollars to these organizations.

BP stands for Big Pharma and refers to the drug companies that make smoking cessation medications and drugs to treat smoking-related diseases.

The Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights created model legislation that has been widely distributed across the country when the local AHA or ALA representative shows up and demands that the city or state adopt a sales ban or a ban on indoor usage. ANR and CFTK have been funded by Master Settlement Agreement monies.

In contrast, tobacco companies are looking to e-cigarettes and other alternatives to take up the slack as sales of tobacco cigarettes continue to fall. Lorrilard bought a large company, Blu Ecigs earlier this year.

See: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sales-14-million-blu-ecigs-during-3q2012.html

It is important to know your enemy. HINT: The government is not your friend. Neither are all of the organizations that were nagging you for years to quit, and then turn around and try to get rid of the one thing you finally found that worked.

I think Lorrilard wants to continue its throwaway and repurchase business model, at least in the prefilled cartridge market. I'm not sure that will work as well as they expect, since there are many modders who will explain to the users how to refill the carts. With a dwindling user base for tobacco, they have to find new industry products to maintain the brand.

I see ecigs as the eventual flagship product for the cigarette industry.

On the Capitol Hill upside ...

Even President Obama owns an ecig

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
What is the future for e-cigarettes ?
A question most of us wonder about and we all would like to do something
to insure the future will be a bright one.

Everyone can do this ... and encourage others to do the same
Read what Kristin wrote on why it's sooooo Very important
that we all openly vape in public
CLICK HERE
:)
The last sentence in her post ... Sums it up !!

Quoiyaien

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Beautiful BC
Man oh man this is getting tense... Id like to keep this thread going... Any updated thoughts based on how things are progressing?

There are so many good juice makers out there, and I would HATE for them to disappear... I don't know if I can imagine a world without my Alice in Vapeland Cherry Blossom...

E liquid is the best part of vaping, and honestly I wouldnt mind paying more for it if it meant staying legal and available...

On the plus side, ive got several rebuildables, and a ton of DIY supplies should things go seriously south...

Id love to hear more of what others think...

Cheers!
:vapor:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
What is the future for e-cigarettes ?
A question most of us wonder about and we all would like to do something
to insure the future will be a bright one.

Everyone can do this ... and encourage others to do the same
Read what Kristin wrote on why it's sooooo Very important
that we all openly vape in public
CLICK HERE
:)
The last sentence in her post ... Sums it up !!

I like the idea that Blu is able to advertise on TV. It's the best way to get the message out to the public that ecigs are far safer than burning tobacco. I have to assume that Lorrilard investigated the health connection before investing millions to buy the company.

After talking to a few different people and getting their opinions this is what im thinking. Currently no one is allowed to sell tobacco products online. My informants believe this will lead to no longer being able to sell e-cigs online. So you would only be able to pick up a device in a store front. Also they believe that this will also lead to liquids being regulated, which might not be a bad thing considering e dont know what kinda crap they put in the China liquids. The problem everyone seems to agree on is tax. My people seem to think that they will tax and regulate liquids. I hope that when it comes to representing e-cigs that we have someone that knows what they are talking about to stand and talk for us! Vap on people!

bigjr

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Ive been vaping for about 5 yrs now and have noticed a huge change used to be people would say WHAT is THAT? Then it was hey does that really work? Now I just get a smile and usually a nod. So people know what they are now and not allot of fear in them every day its getting harder for the feds and others to justify there scary BS. I did how ever get asked not to smoke one in an Indy bar the bouncer stated Indiana thinks the Nic in my ecig was harmful to the others around me :facepalm:

We're just going to have to wait and see. Right now, we're all talking without any direct knowledge. It could be nothing much, it could be awful, we just don't know. I don't think some standards for the industry would be a bad thing at all. We breathe this stuff. I'd like to know it has some standards.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
We're just going to have to wait and see. Right now, we're all talking without any direct knowledge. It could be nothing much, it could be awful, we just don't know. I don't think some standards for the industry would be a bad thing at all. We breathe this stuff. I'd like to know it has some standards.
OH ... You and the FDA are on the same page !!
And they are going to do something thing about it.

By the way ...
There is No such thing in America as Limited Regulations

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Is it too much to ask to have some Standards to what can be put into an e-Liquid?

As it is now, you can put anything you want in an e-Liquid (ie: Glow in the Dark Coolarants) and you don’t even have to say what is in the 30ml Bottle that you sell.

Not saying that I want or Like that the FDA is going to have to set the Standard. But if no one else will or can, it seems that the FDA is going to.

Maybe I'm too much of a Realist. But in the America we live in, Anything that a person Buys and then puts in their Body is going to be Overseen by the FDA.

By the way ...
There is No such thing in America as Limited Regulations

There are tons of limited regulations. I'm a soap maker. If I wish to sell, I'm required to list ingredients on my soap but only if the naturally-derived ingredients drop under 74%. Above that, an ingredients list is recommended but not required by law. That's a limited regulation, and just one simple example.

If I'm making dish soap or dishwasher detergent, an ingredients list is not required. Another small example.

Ingredients must be listed in usage order, down to 1% after which they can be listed in any order. This protects proprietary mixes by not disclosing percentages. Another example.

Fragrances are only required to be listed as "fragrance," providing secrecy protection for proprietary mixes. Four.

Interestingly, soap makers freaked when regulations were proposed for that as well. Once they were released, most people went, "Oh. Yeah, that makes sense." A few continued to freak because they didn't want to disclose what they used. They were considered crackpots because...well, they were crackpots.

It would certainly be nice to have a few standards on liquid (like one may not use diacetyl). Battery restrictions for something I put next to my face are entirely acceptable, even if it's only "you must publicly state whether you use a protected or an unprotected battery in your device on all advertising."

So far, all I see here is a lot of people griping about regulations they don't have any data about, and getting hysterical about things that haven't happened yet. I don't do fear-based politics because they don't generally lead to a good outcome.

If the regulations are on order of soap makers' then there's absolutely nothing to criticize.

If they're ridiculous, I'll get annoyed at that point.

In either case, I submitted a comment to the FDA with my opinion--ingredients list, good idea. Notification of technology safety, good idea. Banning, lousy idea.

I'm also wondering the timeline of whatever regulations they pass, when will they go into effect? Will it be effective immediately? Does anyone know what the timeline was on FDA regulations in the past.

To my current understanding, which might be wrong, there was an open comment period (now closed). Suggested regulations will be released by April (which usually means in April). There will then be another comment period before a decision is made.

Taxation of nic liquids would probably have to go through Congress (all tax legislation must originate in the House), but I could be wrong on that. In any case, it'll take a while to get the appropriate ducks in a row to enact that.

I have no doubt that Lolliard will sue and probably be granted a temporary injunction if regulations violate the control act. That would last until a decision is made by the courts and one party or another decides not to carry it further.

We're certainly not looking at a sudden game change on April first or anything.

zelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2009
Echo Beach
I believe if regulations are put on ecigs and eliquid they will be treated just like tobacco products. No online sales. Eliquid available in tobacco flavor and maybe menthol only. Most eliquid vendors probably won't be able to compete with the bigger companies. And once regulations are applied there is no going back. Just stricter regulations and higher taxes.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I believe if regulations are put on ecigs and eliquid they will be treated just like tobacco products. No online sales. Eliquid available in tobacco flavor and maybe menthol only. Most eliquid vendors probably won't be able to compete with the bigger companies. And once regulations are applied there is no going back. Just stricter regulations and higher taxes.

If you replace the 3rd word in your post from "If" to "When" I can agree with what you said 100%.

I don't think "If" is even a Remote Possibility anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread