Status
Not open for further replies.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Two batteries at 200w isn't really safer than three at 320w.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
apart from the safety aspect and the plain truth that these kinds of wattages are just ridiculous, I seriously doubt it will get anywhere close to 320W....

the day is rapidly approaching where some idiot is going to end up with three explosively venting 18650 cells in extreme thermal runaway about 5cm from their face and it will be a very sad day for them and vaping in general. This really ticks me off i must say...

Frankly, penis enlargers are cheaper and about as effective (so I'm told) but certainly a lot safer...

Last edited:

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Also respectfully, your calculations are wrong.
On a regulated device the resistance is not a factor in the amp draw on the batteries. Regulated mods have safety features, but none that will stop you from drawing unsafe amperage from your cells

320 watts is 28 amps per cell when they are charged factoring in a 90% mod efficiency. Then 35 amps per cell when discharged at 3.4 volts. There are 18650s that can deliver 35 amps, but used like that they won't last for long.

Please clarify your science to come up with 94 Amps when the Watts Ohms Calculator clearly shows that 325 Watts at .15 Ohm Resistance uses 46 Amps.

I will repeat that the power / Amps are dispersed among three batteries. My Rx300 has a feature that at any point one can check the battery level of all three batteries separately. Whenever I check , They are always within .05 of each other. This indicates that power draw is balanced. IE Power is being drawn equally.

A 45 Amp Draw divided between 3 Bats now becomes a 15 Amp Draw. (45/3=15)

Factoring in 90% efficiency or a loss of 10% 15 Amps X 1.10 = 16.5 Amps Not much of a difference.

1000s of 3 Battery Mods are sold without issue, if 300 Watts with 3 batteries were as dangerous as you say.
There would be a massive explosion issue in the market.

In addition the Mods have circuit board temp protection , if Batteries/Mod becomes too hot
the circuit board will too and the Mod Shuts Down.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The reason you are getting 45 amps is you are erroneously trying to work this out as if it was an unregulated setup using only ohms law. That just isn't how it's done with regulated devices. 320 watts is 85 amps to start, this increases as the batteries discharge.

Read this article to which clearly explains how I'm getting to these numbers. Then model it yourself in steam-engine and you will see. I also wrote this article on the subject. The fundamental thing to understand is that in a regulated device the batteries are connected to the regulator, NOT to the coils.

The way amp draw works on a regulated device is not intuitive and many people get it wrong. It took me a while to get head around it after using mechs.
I'm not trying to brow beat you, I'm just interested in helping you. Also this is a public forum so it's imperative that correct information made available.

In answer to your question, yes I think these 300 watts devices are an accident waiting to happen. Just look at yourself, you seem reasonably experienced, but you got the maths wrong.

Manufacturers know damn well they are pushing the boundaries with these devices, but also they know that bigger and bigger numbers is what sells. Anyone who has been vaping for a few years knows that you don't need a fraction of those power levels to produce massive plumes of vapor if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread