Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Bad Ninja, you are correct! That makes me really happy actually.... One less poisonous thing, though I doubt I'll be walking outdoors barefoot much, regardless...

And the reckless driving thing? So true... I learned to drive in Baltimore and occasionally, I have dreams of what might happen if we transferred 50% of the drivers THERE to here, and vice versa. The deathrate and road rage index would rise SIGNIFICANTLY, people would DIE. When I arrived I was utterly stupefied by the "driving" not to mention the fact that Tucson has this thing where they do "traffic calming" by setting EVERY light, during non-rush hour times, to STOP you, each light, on PURPOSE. You have to do double the speed limit, weaving between uninsured drivers, the elderly on too many meds (Tucson is happy to hand out 30 year drivers licenses, without checking vision, OMG) the occasional bicyclist, and oh, five or so jaywalkers who ALWAYS seem to dress in black. I only did it once, at night, to find out if it was indeed POSSIBLE. It is, but even I am not crazy enough to try that again. Though I have to say, Tucson, your traffic handling in general is not "calming" to me. I really had to learn to, ah, relax.

Oh, but the good news? My cheek's much better today... I am actually going to ascribe a fair amount of that to garlic, as it almost immediately decreased the swelling, though I'm sure it's everything. But thanks so much for the suggestion, if this keeps up I am likely to have a small scar, nothing more :)

Anna

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oh, but the good news? My cheek's much better today... I am actually going to ascribe a fair amount of that to garlic, as it almost immediately decreased the swelling, though I'm sure it's everything. But thanks so much for the suggestion, if this keeps up I am likely to have a small scar, nothing more :)

Anna
I am very happy to hear that the garlic works and you are well on your way to recovery. A friend of mine has found a few of those spiders in her home. She has never been bitten but the garlic cure is a good one to know about, just in case.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes! I'd have to say it works well enough that I would have applied it, had I known about it, on the way to the Urgent Care, and if it were not on my FACE, I might give it a day or so to see how it handled, all on its own (though, I don't want my favorite NP to think that I think he's a vampire...) My husband is from Appalachia, and it always amazes me how much these natural cures can work. :)

Anna

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
5af82d4d398db02d71efde9a66854561.jpg
Welcome to Arizona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love seeing peoples reactions when they see that sign for the first time at the rest area.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Holy goodness, beckdg, you see a Southern Copperhead in your toolbox and you PHOTOGRAPH it prior to dispatching it/calling the fire department for "relocation" (which is what you are supposed to do here, which... No, I just send my husband outside to kill it, I don't need ANY rattlers relocated, thank you so much)? You have much more sangfroid than I do, LOL :) If I saw that, I'd be running far far away, screaming my head off, not pulling out my phone.

But, awesome pic, BTW :)

Anna

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Well I guess if I HAD choked to death, it would have been OMGD (O mg nicotine as dead, :)

Holy goodness, beckdg, you see a Southern Copperhead in your toolbox and you PHOTOGRAPH it prior to dispatching it/calling the fire department for "relocation" (which is what you are supposed to do here, which... No, I just send my husband outside to kill it, I don't need ANY rattlers relocated, thank you so much)? You have much more sangfroid than I do, LOL :) If I saw that, I'd be running far far away, screaming my head off, not pulling out my phone.

But, awesome pic, BTW :)

Anna
I had to get the toolbox out of the shed first.

For all intents and purposes I was all but cornered in there.

We've seen a good handful of younglings already this year.

That one doesn't affect the population, really.

We educate the kids and fling them back for rodent control.

Love/hate, yes. But they're more useful than the cat. Shrug...

ETA: You should see the size of our wolf spiders.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is true, the revolting things eat each other.... If I ever come across a rattler digesting a scorpion and a tarantula, I'm moving. I don't care. I'll abandon the house, the bunnies, etc. :) I wil use Traveller's aid and go be homeless somewhere....

Come to think of it though, there was that year in Baltimore (and we were pretty citified, though we did have a park accross the street) and wound up with a pair-bonded (so it seemed, mama and papa black snake, and their litter hatched under our front stairs....) Since they're non-venomous, we did nothing and I had to get used to the babies at my feet and usually a large one in an overhanging tree, or something. I didn't enjoy it, but I got through it....

I just hate being bit/stung etc.... My son was in high delight and since they started out torporous, he was able to pet one (without my knowledge, I would have been.... Well, my son's more afraid of trump than snakey things....) I think I'd more easily dispatch *any* human than a snake, but I hadn't learned to shoot back then...

Anna

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
That is true, the revolting things eat each other.... If I ever come across a rattler digesting a scorpion and a tarantula, I'm moving. I don't care. I'll abandon the house, the bunnies, etc. :) I wil use Traveller's aid and go be homeless somewhere....

Come to think of it though, there was that year in Baltimore (and we were pretty citified, though we did have a park accross the street) and wound up with a pair-bonded (so it seemed, mama and papa black snake, and their litter hatched under our front stairs....) Since they're non-venomous, we did nothing and I had to get used to the babies at my feet and usually a large one in an overhanging tree, or something. I didn't enjoy it, but I got through it....

I just hate being bit/stung etc.... My son was in high delight and since they started out torporous, he was able to pet one (without my knowledge, I would have been.... Well, my son's more afraid of trump than snakey things....) I think I'd more easily dispatch *any* human than a snake, but I hadn't learned to shoot back then...

Anna
There's a pretty good population of black widows up there.

When I was in PA, my dad brought me a PC to repair that was hatching widows when I opened it.

Mom was suspended in the corner.

Then we moved to LaPlata.

Once getting out of the car at Target my son was face to face with a full grown female camped out in a crotch in a tree of the parking lot.

Scared him straight. LOL

Reactions: Eskie

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
So, what did that tool box look like after the shotgun blast?

And no, I am not going to Google wolf spiders. Nope, not gonna happen.
I flung it into the woods down the hill.

We live between the river and the lake with miles of woods on one side and a state park the other direction.

Hawks, owls, eagles, etc. do their part.

Wildlife is abundant and includes three different owl species, numerous hawks and wintering bald eagles as well as the rare Cerulean Warbler, a summer resident of the park’s mixed hardwood forests, which include stands of Tulip Poplar, Oak, Hickory, Buckeye and Wild Cherry. An observation tower at the Visitor Center offers a spectacular view of Center Hill Lake and the surrounding hillsides.

Tennessee State Parks

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
All I know is for the few years I lived in the suburbs in a nice little wooded area (can't call anything close to NYC rural), I had bunnies, deer, a wild turkey, and even a red fox in the backyard. My dog loved it. It was like living in a Disney movie.

If I had ever seen even one of the creatures mentioned here I would have moved back into the city that very same afternoon. If it's venomous, poisonous, or looks like I need Sigourney Weaver around to kill it, that's it, I'm out of there.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
All I know is for the few years I lived in the suburbs in a nice little wooded area (can't call anything close to NYC rural), I had bunnies, deer, a wild turkey, and even a red fox in the backyard. My dog loved it. It was like living in a Disney movie.

If I had ever seen even one of the creatures mentioned here I would have moved back into the city that very same afternoon. If it's venomous, poisonous, or looks like I need Sigourney Weaver around to kill it, that's it, I'm out of there.
I've had enough rats and roaches.

I'll take venom.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's quite a toss up, isn't it? I don't know if anyone read it, but this guy who was vastly interested in rats spent a lot of time in dark alleys and interviewed a lot of pest control people (this had to be NY is how I'm remembering it) but the takeaway message is that rats adapt to poisons in such a way that, well, it looks like it will ONLY be them and the roaches left, in the end. It was actually a very interesting book. My sister got a RAT in her house and she's so cute... She and her husband spent about a month trying to humanely trap it so they could release it, only to finally give up in disgust, and bought a kill trap, which was very effective. My sis was like, "It was the middle of the night, I heard this massive SNAP and lots of flailing around" and immediately said to her husband, "Okay, that's not a ME problem, that's a YOU problem."
He got up and dispatched it while yelling, "OMG, it's like CSI in here, there's blood spatter!"
LOL, I explained to my sis that rats aren't something to have *sympathy* for, we don't even have true sympathy for our packrat, we are going to kill that sucker first chance we get. Though I will *miss* him.

Don't even get my started on roaches, the first house I bought in Baltimore had been the neighborhood *BLANK*den and whorehouse for *decades*, I only bought it because it was cheap, I loved it, and I knew we could rehab it. We found many odd things including works, pictures of naked women in lingerie, but the worst were the roaches. Fortunately, it had been foreclosed and winterized, so the eggs hadn't hatched, yet, but I have fond memories of scraping off walls (all walls) that were BLACK with roach eggs and then setting up pest control to come every month for a YEAR. I was in no mood to *play* with roaches.

The neighbors loved us, though, cuz we DID rehab that house, and would even throw birthday parties in it for my kid, it was great :) In the end :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Fortunately bugs have been really rare occurrences in my apartments. Yes, they can appear even in nicest, high end new construction, but they've not around my place.

I have had mice once. My daughter was maybe 3 at the time, and I had set a glue trap under the stove because that's where there were leftover traces from them. Next morning my daughter comes running into our bedroom early with "Mommy, Daddy! We caught 4 baby mice! Can I keep them?". Then I had to explain all about mouse heaven while tossing the trap when she couldn't see me do it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
We get a couple of these roaming around every year, but they are harmless and slow movers (mostly).

View attachment 667939

Harmless??? Maybe we have different definitions, but harmless to me means it's cool if it comes up on the back porch and can be petted. That does not meet my criteria.

I saw one of those once when my ball ended up in a water hazard. I took the penalty and let it keep the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread