1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

gauge for micro coil?

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by Cahdek, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cahdek

Cahdek Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So I bought 30 ga with my grand. Working out ok. 7 wraps gives me around 1.8ohm but at 8W (3.8V measured at posts) just seems a little too cool. Ive got some 28ga comin so im hoping that makes a big difference. I did have a moment of nirvana this weekend when I adjusted to coil and rewicked, but now I feel that I'm chasing the dragon with 30ga

What gauge do you guys use?

2. Statistic

Statistic REOnaughty Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    26g Kanthal A-1 is what I'm using now.

I just ordered 30' each of 28,26 & 24g Nichrome 60. I'm a little bit scared of the 24g..lol.

3. Bob57

Bob57 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

You can try 6 wraps to lower the resistance,

4. Aceman12

Aceman12 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just wrapped 5 times with 30g and got 1.3 ohms. It's hitting perfect.

5. Zak Rabbit

Zak Rabbit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    What I saw in the micro coil thread (might not be what's actually there) is 28g is most common. For me, when wrapping around a 1/16 drill bit, it gives the best width to fit between the posts on my single coil atty's. With dual coil setups, I use 34g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

6. Cahdek

Went to my local B&M to get some 28ga. Of course the genny guys were there building their stuff and I was a little embarrassed to pull out my REO that wasnt hitting that well cause I didnt want it to look bad.

Long story short, I took 1 wrap off and it helped a ton. They were all blown away by the "squonk".

2 things they were trying to get me to do:

1.) A 2 wrap of 28ga like they had on their gennys

2.) Twisted wire (twisted tight with a drill).

I didnt let them, but of course, got me thinking. The 2 wrap thing didnt seem right to me because isnt the whole point to get more surface area of coil to wick?

And what about the twisted wire? Anyone tried that on an RM2?

7. pdib

pdib Registered Supplier - Offline ECF Veteran

My my, Stats, 24 Nichrome, huh? What . . . . is your exhaust pipe rattling? Dog getting out thru the chain-link?

8. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    30 gauge and 10 wraps around a 16ga needle gives me right about 2 ohms. Every wrap is about .15 ohms at 16ga I believe. If I want to heat up the vape, I just leave off a wrap or two. 30 ga should get ya where ya need to be, but let me know how the other gauges work for ya. :)

If your using cotton, it may be they you have a bit too much in there. A pic would be helpful :)

9. darkzero

darkzero Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

30'? Damn, I have a bad habit of buying too much with everything. I keep buying 100' spools & have no idea why I wojld even need that much. I've been using 28 & 26 the most & now I want to try 27. I have a feeling I'll be buying a 100' roll of it to be consistent, what a dumb *** (-> me). :facepalm:

10. Cahdek

I think you might have been right about too much cotton. I cut a little off. I had about twice as much on the end folded over into the "bowl" prior to this pic. I'm at 1.2 ohm now. About to just scrap this coil but, hey, that's the fun of rebuildables right?

2013-07-22 22.51.43.jpg 2013-07-22 22.51.25.jpg

Come to think of it, after looking at these pics I just took, I see that I have one shiny coil on the right. Probably fubared it from screwing with it too much.

11. Marvin & Sennie

Marvin & Sennie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That cotton looks really thick to me, is it really that thick or do I make mine too thin? Myself I like about 6-7 wraps on 30g that gives me 1.5- 1.6 ohms. Anything cooler and I feel like it's a little too cool for my taste. But it really is subjective to what each of us prefers.

12. Statistic

Supporting member
    One of these days, pdib.. one of these days. I'm gonna build a coil that when you see it you'll say "... dayum"

LOL

I just got the 24 for fun really. That stuff is really cheap and I'm thinking 24 might be good to play with if I want to do some monstrosity of a coil that would require a lot of length but where I still want to keep resistance low. Also.. I'm thinking it'll be good to play with some more "coil signage". I do plan to do some more artsy-fartsy coils but really don't want to have to stack batteries again to "light up the R"

Oh, and I do have some neat concrete picture frames I need to hang :p

13. Statistic

Supporting member
    Cahdek, not too much cotton sticking out.. too much stuffed in the coil. If your flavors are muted try pulling that out and twisting up a tiny little strand, see how that does you.

I took this pic the other night to show someone how much cotton I use and what my wicks look like before I put them in the coil. Not that I am any kind of author-i-tah on the matter, this is just works well for me (and how!)

[​IMG]

14. pdib

↑ that there is a 4 on the VAP scale.

edit: naw, hard to say, looks like you don't put in more than you use. I start with something much longer, but not much more dense.

15. pdib

I know you're joking, Stats; but I want to make it clear that you've built many coils that left me saying just that.

16. josho

josho Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I want to become a reonaut simply because you guys are so damn funny.

Can I just lurk in the reo forum because you are good people?

17. Statistic

Supporting member
    I do still trim off a bit from each end. Seeing pics of all these coils can be misleading, they are so incredibly tiny (that.. is most certainly NOT what "she" said)

I.. wasn't :blink: but wow, that's quite nice to hear, from the dibster! :)

Your coil madness has very often been a benchmark for me to emulate and learn from.

18. Statistic

Supporting member
    yes. please do ;)

19. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Josh, by all means do :). And get yourself one first chance you get. The vape is so ridiculously good it'll make ya laugh :)

20. Cahdek

Thanks stat! Ive started with a little pinner but it was too loose in the coil. This onw I had to twist and twist to get it to fit and it was a good fit tight. I'll try splitting the difference to see how that does.

Come on vaping nirvana. ... I've reached you once and I'll find you again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.