Geek Vape Ammit Dual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Sounds like some great first impressions. Also sounds like the orders are including the additional top cap.

Any leaks or other challenges? I appreciate all the posts. For a person seriously considering this tank as their first rta it's invaluable.
The top cap is what made me pull the trigger on it. It was a guaranteed purchase until I saw that it had no additional top cap. Then when they revised it, instant purchase. And I'm really happy to see that it doesn't look or function like it was an afterthought. You'd never guess it wasn't designed to work the way it does, and I love it.

No challenges. Nothing came messed up, no loose 510 pins, no stripped grubnuts, no torn o-rings. No leaks, no dry hits. Easy to wick and easy to build on (this is my first postless deck, and I got it on the first try.)

Only two complaint, as I mentioned earlier, is:

1) The airflow's sound. Wide open it's fine, I guess. But if you sometimes like a semi restricted lung hit, it's going to sound pretty awkward. "Smooth" is the last word I'd use to describe the airflow on this. It's not a deal breaker for me though, everything else is great.

2) The fact that the side airflow holes are drilled straight up and down, not at an angle to hit where your coils are positioned. The block is angled, but the holes are not - honestly, pretty stupid IMO, but it doesn't appear to negatively affect the flavor department (which I thought it would, kind of like the Pharoah's useless top airflow.)

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Is it possible to do a single build without using the plug? I know I watched Rip do it but I'm wondering about real life use.
Absolutely. I would probably throw in at least a 3.5mm coil in there personally, just to ensure I have enough wick. The channels are pretty big, so you're gunna need a good amount of cotton in there to avoid leaks.

vexx

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
No parts allowed
2) The fact that the side airflow holes are drilled straight up and down, not at an angle to hit where your coils are positioned. The block is angled, but the holes are not - honestly, pretty stupid IMO, but it doesn't appear to negatively affect the flavor department (which I thought it would, kind of like the Pharoah's useless top airflow.)
IMO it doesn't matter if they are angled or not because if you think about it its air.. no matter the angle the air will travel upwards (in the direction that you suck) maybe I am just guessing here it would have created a turbulence effect if you suck it too hard.

What is your recommended coil build for a dual coil? 3mm?

Reactions: Petabread

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
IMO it doesn't matter if they are angled or not because if you think about it its air.. no matter the angle the air will travel upwards (in the direction that you suck) maybe I am just guessing here it would have created a turbulence effect if you suck it too hard.

What is your recommended coil build for a dual coil? 3mm?
Im not even going to BS you, you might be right. It might not make a difference angled or not. Apparently it did on the original Ammit (I don't own one, so I can't comment). But if it were properly drilled out so they were aimed at the coils, it at least would've maybe fooled some people, if nothing else.

In my mind I imagine that if we pulled hard on the inhale, it would make the air rush out of the airflow holes with force in the direction the holes were drilled out (at the coils.) Currently, with how they're drilled, it's not even debatable lol.

I'm not necessarily saying it would be 100% better, I'm just saying...it would have at least made more sense.

As far as build recommendation, I threw my standard 3mm build in. 2 fused claptons, 2/26g wrapped with 40g, all 316L. I did that so I could compare the flavor. And the flavor is intense.

Reactions: vexx

vexx

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
No parts allowed
Im not even going to BS you, you might be right. It might not make a difference angled or not. Apparently it did on the original Ammit (I don't own one, so I can't comment). But if it were properly drilled out so they were aimed at the coils, it at least would've maybe fooled some people, if nothing else.

In my mind I imagine that if we pulled hard on the inhale, it would make the air rush out of the airflow holes with force in the direction the holes were drilled out (at the coils.) Currently, with how they're drilled, it's not even debatable lol.

I'm not necessarily saying it would be 100% better, I'm just saying...it would have at least made more sense.

As far as build recommendation, I threw my standard 3mm build in. 2 fused claptons, 2/26g wrapped with 40g, all 316L. I did that so I could compare the flavor. And the flavor is intense.
Can't wait to try it!! Thanks

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I'm starting to see more and more USA vendors show the dual in stock. It's so funny how much I think study and research a tank or a mod before I pull the trigger. The more I read and watch and learn about the dual the more enticing it becomes.

I've been thinking of getting into building but I get such long life out of pre mades (currently on week 9 of a BBB coil averaging 4ml per day) that I have been hesitant to make the leap as it sounds as though I would be changing wicks much more often then I ever have to change coils.

Ok not that anyone cares, sorry about the long version of my inner vape monologue.

Is it a true assumption that one has to change wicks frequently or do wicks last an equivalent amount of time as a pre made? Also for those of you who have received the dual, how steap would you say the learning curve is for wicking this tank?

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm starting to see more and more USA vendors show the dual in stock. It's so funny how much I think study and research a tank or a mod before I pull the trigger. The more I read and watch and learn about the dual the more enticing it becomes.

I've been thinking of getting into building but I get such long life out of pre mades (currently on week 9 of a BBB coil averaging 4ml per day) that I have been hesitant to make the leap as it sounds as though I would be changing wicks much more often then I ever have to change coils.

Ok not that anyone cares, sorry about the long version of my inner vape monologue.

Is it a true assumption that one has to change wicks frequently or do wicks last an equivalent amount of time as a pre made? Also for those of you who have received the dual, how steap would you say the learning curve is for wicking this tank?

Wick change is going to be dependent on what kind of e-liquid you vape. E-liquid with a lot of sweetener will gunk your coils up much faster. I tend to rewick at least once a week. Also, the more often you rewick/dry burn your coils, the longer the coils tend to last.

To be honest, if you're getting 9 weeks out of your coil heads, I would just stick with them, personally. Rebuilding is something for the hobbyist vaper, so to speak. So if building coils/rewicking seems like something that may annoy you, i wouldn't do it (at least, not yet.) I guess you could go 9 weeks without rewicking, it's still the same wire/cotton you find in your coilheads. Us rebuilders do it more often because we enjoy doing it or want better flavor (you'll find the best flavor off fresh wicks/fresh coilheads)

I switched over to rebuildables because it got irritating not being able to find coilheads for my tanks locally (or in the US at all) and having to order them from China, and waiting a month - not acceptable. New tanks come out every other hour, and vape shops just can't always keep up with all the different coilheads. So, I made the jump into rebuildable very early, and I never looked back. It wasn't just because it was cheaper, but it was more reliable.

As far as wicking the Ammit Dual, it wasn't hard. I jammed my wicking channels full (almost too full, imo) and it's wicking perfectly. I don't think this is a "less cotton is more" RTA. Definitely fill the channels. Installing your build tho? There's a bit of a learning curve for that. This isn't a super easy velocity-style deck, but it's not hard either. Just different.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia

To add to the excellent points @Petabread raised, for me the prime reason for rebuilding is the fun factor. It gives me the opportunity to experiment and tune the vape to my exact preferences for literally pennies worth of materials.

The trade off is that there will be failed builds, there will be leaking, there will be dry hits – if you look at those as learning experiences rather than frustrations, then rebuilding is something you’ll enjoy.

While I am really enjoying the Ammit Dual (ordered a second one last night – just could not resist the price at MFS) it would not be top of my list as a recommended tank for a new builder. I’d lean more to a dedicated single coil tank, such as the original Ammit, the OBS Engine Nano or the Augvape Merlin for the simple reason that one coil is easier to deal with than two. While you can certainly use just one coil in the Dual (I’ve yet to put in a dual coil build in mine) the build decks on the three I mentioned are all easier to deal with, both in terms of coils mounting and wicking, than the one on the Dual.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Wick change is going to be dependent on what kind of e-liquid you vape. E-liquid with a lot of sweetener will gunk your coils up much faster. I tend to rewick at least once a week. Also, the more often you rewick/dry burn your coils, the longer the coils tend to last.

To be honest, if you're getting 9 weeks out of your coil heads, I would just stick with them, personally. Rebuilding is something for the hobbyist vaper, so to speak. So if building coils/rewicking seems like something that may annoy you, i wouldn't do it (at least, not yet.) I guess you could go 9 weeks without rewicking, it's still the same wire/cotton you find in your coilheads. Us rebuilders do it more often because we enjoy doing it or want better flavor (you'll find the best flavor off fresh wicks/fresh coilheads)

I switched over to rebuildables because it got irritating not being able to find coilheads for my tanks locally (or in the US at all) and having to order them from China, and waiting a month - not acceptable. New tanks come out every other hour, and vape shops just can't always keep up with all the different coilheads. So, I made the jump into rebuildable very early, and I never looked back. It wasn't just because it was cheaper, but it was more reliable.

As far as wicking the Ammit Dual, it wasn't hard. I jammed my wicking channels full (almost too full, imo) and it's wicking perfectly. I don't think this is a "less cotton is more" RTA. Definitely fill the channels. Installing your build tho? There's a bit of a learning curve for that. This isn't a super easy velocity-style deck, but it's not hard either. Just different.
Peta and haz,

thank you for the reply and the wealth of information. I too get frustrated when new tanks come out every week and I too have a concern that the coils I use with the tanks I like will become unavailable. There is also the desire to FDA proof myself. I want to make sure that I'm pulling the trigger on the right first RTA. I know that I will most likely do single coil builds. I know that I will probably move to SS for use in tc/watt mode. My favorite coils tend to be in the .6 to .5 range and I generally never vape above 30 watts as I like a cool vape with flavor while I DL. I've heard positive and negative reviews on the OBS engine nano mostly related to mutted flavor. Though the TAF and lack of leaking is a definitive plus.

I appreciate both of you and the feedback.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Peta and haz,

thank you for the reply and the wealth of information. I too get frustrated when new tanks come out every week and I too have a concern that the coils I use with the tanks I like will become unavailable. There is also the desire to FDA proof myself. I want to make sure that I'm pulling the trigger on the right first RTA. I know that I will most likely do single coil builds. I know that I will probably move to SS for use in tc/watt mode. My favorite coils tend to be in the .6 to .5 range and I generally never vape above 30 watts as I like a cool vape with flavor while I DL. I've heard positive and negative reviews on the OBS engine nano mostly related to mutted flavor. Though the TAF and lack of leaking is a definitive plus.

I appreciate both of you and the feedback.

Hazozita is right on the money. And yes, an OBS Engine would probably be a really good starter RTA for you (I've never owned one, but I've seen them and used one before.) Smaller margin for error, since it technically can't leak (it can flood, but it's better than a full blown leak, imo.)

I know you never asked this, but I'll still suggest it - have you considered an RDA as your first rebuildable? There's just about zero margin for error with one of those, and you'd learn the building techniques there, your coil likes and dislikes since it's easy to swap them out to experiment. That's where I would start, personally. You can get a nice, cheapy RDA clone for like $10 now.

(For what it's worth, I got into rebuilding by rebuilding my old AeroTank prebuilt coils. No store had them in stock, so it was either order some coils from China and wait 45 days or buy some kanthal from Amazon and rebuild. So, I rebuilt and loved it. Then I bought a Magma RDA clone to learn the techniques. Then I bought a Lemo RTA. And now...I just own too much crap lol)

Whatever option you choose, whatever tank you choose, there's more than enough help on here to get you moving in the right direction. Even if you have to mail something to one of us to rebuild it for you the first time, so you can analyze it...whatever works, we can help!

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
So I did find a con on the Ammit Dual. I've tried several different ways to circumvent this issue, but no matter what I do, I can't.

Every time I fill it, once I close the top cap (I am using the top cap adapter) juice sandwiches out and I need to clean my fingers/tank. It's basically unavoidable. The only thing I can think of is that the top cap adapter ring is too shallow, so when the cap is screwed on, it just pushes the juice out that's sitting on the adapter ring. I think if the adapter was a tad deeper, this wouldn't be a problem, but I guess they wanted to make it as short as possible to avoid it being any bigger.

I've tried drying off juice on the bottom of the top cap before I screw it down, and it doesn't help. I've removed the top cap's o-ring and that doesn't help either. It just is what it is.

No tank is perfect obviously, but if you're going to be taking this out and about with you, make sure you've got a rag!

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Could someone confirm this, does SS version have those ugly, hideous, horrifying stripes on the chimney like the black one does?

Lähetetty minun SM-G920F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Just got my silver one in today, and it does have stripes. They are not nearly as noticeable as they are on my black one -- they are a light silver-gray -- but they are there. While I usually prefer black tanks over silver, for the Dual I think the silver looks better.

Marko Keskitalo

Aug 26, 2015
Just got my silver one in today, and it does have stripes. They are not nearly as noticeable as they are on my black one -- they are a light silver-gray -- but they are there. While I usually prefer black tanks over silver, for the Dual I think the silver looks better.
Could you post a picture of the silver one, would be greatly appreciated? :) for me, it could be a dealbreaker if the aesthetics (spelling?) don't match to my likings :D

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Could you post a picture of the silver one, would be greatly appreciated? :) for me, it could be a dealbreaker if the aesthetics (spelling?) don't match to my likings :D

I know what you mean about a tanks aesthetics. I'm having a hard time
Pulling the trigger on the OBS engine Nano because of the look. Silly I know but it makes a difference.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia

I'm a horribly bad photographer, but I gave it a shot. Hope this helps!
stripe.jpg

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
Any leaks when you fill it? Thanks
I'm not sure about haz's experience, but I can share mine. I get seepage after about 2 days of use. I wouldn't call it leaking. More like seeping. And it's not after a refill.

I'm not sure if it's just built up condensation in the airflow area, and then after a tilt, it comes out, but it happens. Nothing major either. Just a drop or 2. I literally have the cotton uncomfortably packed in the juice channels too, so it's not that.

I've wicked it loosely and jam packed, and it still happens. My wicks are totally cleared from the airflow too, so it's also not because of that. I think it's genuinely an accumulation of condensation, but it should be mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread