Geekvape Aegis 100W Box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
One minor glitch to report after a days use. The lock feature does not seem to work. After holding the + and - button for a few seconds, the lock icon appears and you are no longer able to adjust it. However, after the mod has "gone to sleep" and you fire it again, it is no longer locked. Does it every time. A minor annoyance at best, and I'm guessing they'll fix it with a firmware upgrade soon. I sent Geekvape a message through FB. We'll see what they say.

Finally got a chance to fire mine up yesterday. Had to watch a couple of videos on it to figure out how the thing worked. I am new to rocket science vaping. I was like "What the heck is VPC". Finally got clued in enough to get a good vape out of it in TCSS mode at 25 watts. So far so good except for the issue VaPreis spoke of. Which I find a pain in the ..... Of course the thing is will it work this nice a year from now.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
There is firmware upgrade available for download on Geekvape's website. Has anyone figured out how to use it? The glitch with settings not staying locked is grating on me.

There is no installation software included with firmware upgrade, and I'm not sure using the GBOX S100 installation software is correct. I'd like to avoid bricking my new mod.

EDIT: So I googled it, and I didn't realize that file extension .7z is a type of zip file....

I'll report back.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Upgrade complete....

Some things I learned:

-Geekvape's documentation on the subject is sorely lacking.

-You will need a T7 torx bit to remove the screws on the top of the mod.....maybe the mod came with one. I didn't bother to look, as I had one in my bag-o-vape-tools.

-You will need a small program called 7-Zip to extract the upgrade file on your PC. (how silly)

www.7-zip.org (it's free)

-You must use a USB cable that is capable of programming, and not just charging. I had to go through several of my cables before I found one that actually worked for the task. While holding the fire button down, connect the USB cable to your PC, and you'll hear the familiar ding from your PC when it's all gone correctly. After that, you can press start on the installation program for the upgrade. The upgrade was done in a matter of seconds.

So far....it seems the lock feature is now working. I am unaware of what other features may have been improved. As Geekvape's documentation is non-existent, and I only use it in power mode, I'll probably never know. ;)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Maybe so, but Windows has had a built in zip extractor for a long time now, and it didn't recognize the file type.

If I wasn't familiar with the file extension .7z, then maybe others aren't as well.
yeah, just drunk trolling. I probably never heard of it until 2009 when I got into software tech support field.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
VaPreis, post Upgrade complete....

Some things I learned:

-Geekvape's documentation on the subject is sorely lacking.

(You can say that again and nothing online at all for instructions that I could find.)

-You will need a T7 torx bit to remove the screws on the top of the mod.....maybe the mod came with one. I didn't bother to look, as I had one in my bag-o-vape-tools.

-You will need a small program called 7-Zip to extract the upgrade file on your PC. (how silly)

www.7-zip.org (it's free)

(Thanks for the link.)

-You must use a USB cable that is capable of programming, and not just charging. I had to go through several of my cables before I found one that actually worked for the task. While holding the fire button down, connect the USB cable to your PC, and you'll hear the familiar ding from your PC when it's all gone correctly. After that, you can press start on the installation program for the upgrade. The upgrade was done in a matter of seconds.

So far....it seems the lock feature is now working. I am unaware of what other features may have been improved. As Geekvape's documentation is non-existent, and I only use it in power mode, I'll probably never know. ;)

(Good to know it did not brick up on you. I have read too many posts of that happening. Now I just have to get up the nerve to do it to a brand new machine.)

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Well, yesterday I downloaded the update which was on the site at that time. There was just a link to the file and that was it. Opened it using 7-zip and proceeded to go through twelve usb cables and could not get my computer to find the Aegis. Gave up in frustration. For some reason today I decided to go back to the Geekvape download page today and low and behold there was actual instructions on how to go about doing the update and what version 1.2 fixed. A rather long list actually and some features have been changed in the menu. So I download the file again and open it, now there are two updates that show up. a V1.2 and another one with a different file name ending in V1.41. I opened the V1.2 and used it because I could not find any documentation for V1.41 so I assume it is for a different mod. Seems the problem I had yesterday was caused by leaving the battery in it. After putting all my settings back the way I had them the Aegis is humming right along.

Reactions: VaPreis

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
My new take to work mod.

Aegis.jpg

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Well, yesterday I downloaded the update which was on the site at that time. There was just a link to the file and that was it. Opened it using 7-zip and proceeded to go through twelve usb cables and could not get my computer to find the Aegis. Gave up in frustration. For some reason today I decided to go back to the Geekvape download page today and low and behold there was actual instructions on how to go about doing the update and what version 1.2 fixed. A rather long list actually and some features have been changed in the menu. So I download the file again and open it, now there are two updates that show up. a V1.2 and another one with a different file name ending in V1.41. I opened the V1.2 and used it because I could not find any documentation for V1.41 so I assume it is for a different mod. Seems the problem I had yesterday was caused by leaving the battery in it. After putting all my settings back the way I had them the Aegis is humming right along.

Read your post and downloaded the new update. I installed the version 1.41.

I figure it's at least .21 better than v1.2 ;)

FWIW, it seems to be working just fine. The only difference I noticed is it seems to show real time wattage output when holding the fire button (if it did that before I didn't notice), and the Ω reading for my atomizer is about .04 lower then before the update.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
I'm going to hold off on that one. Want to see some documentation on what 1.41 does first. Don't want to push my luck and brick the thing up with a bad flash. If 1.41 does something spiffy I will chance it. BTW 1.2 shows real time wattage I just checked. On 1.2 the ohm reading is still the same as it was before the update. Perhaps that is what they tweaked.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
Still impatiently waiting for mine to arrive. By the time I get it all the bugs should be worked out and I can just grab the latest update and be good to go. I hope I'm gonna be satisfied with the battery life on a single cell mod. I've been using dual 18650 mods for quite some time. I'm used to that kind of battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Ya, I hear you Major. Think I am going to let the whole update thing cook for a bit and see what happens. Went to the download page today and no update on what the newest version does yet. Just to let you know I have been using mine on and off for almost a week and it still shows half charged. Longest time I ever got out of a battery. But then again I am not really pushing it either. Only running it at 32 watts. When I go higher the juice I am using in it starts to lose it's flavor.

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
Received my little black beauty in the mail today. Gorgeous mod. Smaller than it looks online. Feels great in the hand. Pretty simple to operate. I'm using an 18650 with the adapter sleeve since I don't own any 26650 batts. Would there be any obvious advantage to purchasing 26650 batteries for this device or am I better off with the 18650's?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Received my little black beauty in the mail today. Gorgeous mod. Smaller than it looks online. Feels great in the hand. Pretty simple to operate. I'm using an 18650 with the adapter sleeve since I don't own any 26650 batts. Would there be any obvious advantage to purchasing 26650 batteries for this device or am I better off with the 18650's?

Increased battery life if using 26650 is the only real advantage. How much I don't really know, but maybe someone else can answer that.
Increased battery life if using 26650 is the only real advantage. How much I don't really know, but maybe someone else can answer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread