Geekvape Ammit -- another single coil option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I finally got my Ammit a couple days ago and so far I like it. I put in a simple 24ga kanthal coil, 0.42 and wicked with some Muji cotton. So far so good, it's wicking fine, but I do get a touch dryish hit after serious chain vaping, but think a bit less cotton will cure that. The flavor is good, maybe not quite as good as my Merlins, but the Merlin that was on that mod seeped and drove me nutz. I love the build deck and airflow.

While it seems to be wicking fine, I do get some giant bubbles coming from the wicking slots. I think the bubbles get trapped and build up under the large slit before releasing. I think a little bit of an angle under the deck would help the bubbles release easier.

I do like it so far and is a suitable replacement tank for my SMY SDNA75, until of course, OBS makes the new single coil Engine Nano in a 23mm size.

ammit2_zpsfxipvbkk.jpg

ammit5_zpspq8th0w3.jpg

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
Sdna is what I use the Ammit on, it took the place of the Avocado 24 [emoji5]
I like using single coil tanks on single 18650 mods. I really like the size and feel of my SDNA, but anything over 23mm hangs over and I don't like that. I had an OG Merlin on it but it seeped too much, so the Ammit was a good choice for this mod. I have another Merlin on my Voidray, which I love, that doesn't seep.

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
@road looks like fine wicking. Do you like that cotton in particular and can you compare it to cotton bacon? Edit....just now looked at some pics and I thought it came in rolls. But it seems to come in pads but they look fluffier than the pads I sometimes use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

darknecrotic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 6, 2014
    Columbia, SC
    www.caraudioinc.com
    someone asked about drilling out the juice holes, I did it to one of mine. Didn't do much of anything.

Next I'm gonna notch the outer and inner barrel, Where the juice enters. See if we can make it a little easier for those bubbles to release/escape.

I'm a nutjob.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2016
    Just rebuilt this tank. I used one of the coils that came with the OBS Engine tank and it is reading 0.34 ohms and I'm vaping at 26-30W because I fear burning the wick, lol.

This is pretty much the best I could do. I followed all the instructions in this thread and in one of the most popular videos for wicking the Ammit correctly. The wick is only touching the base but not hanging from the hole, I made sure of that by using a very small screw driver to push it up.

As you can see, one side of the juice flow control has this big bubble on it while the other has a small one (not obvious in the picture), so does that mean one side is wicking better than the other?

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 3.12.37 AM.png

Attachments

• 20170122_024509.jpg
      20170122_024509.jpg
      330.2 KB · Views: 141
    • 20170122_024513.jpg
      20170122_024513.jpg
      334.6 KB · Views: 135
    • 20170122_024533.jpg
      20170122_024533.jpg
      342.8 KB · Views: 135
    • 20170122_024552.jpg
      20170122_024552.jpg
      387 KB · Views: 134
    • 20170122_024609.jpg
      20170122_024609.jpg
      362.1 KB · Views: 134
    • 20170122_025257.jpg
      20170122_025257.jpg
      413.8 KB · Views: 139
    • 20170122_025308.jpg
      20170122_025308.jpg
      416.2 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:
    Reactions: nocigsnomore

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    Just rebuilt this tank. I used one of the coils that came with the OBS Engine tank and it is reading 0.34 ohms and I'm vaping at 26-30W because I fear burning the wick, lol.

This is pretty much the best I could do. I followed all the instructions in this thread and in one of the most popular videos for wicking the Ammit correctly. The wick is only touching the base but not hanging from the hole, I made sure of that by using a very small screw driver to push it up.

As you can see, one side of the juice flow control has this big bubble on it while the other has a small one (not obvious in the picture), so does that mean one side is wicking better than the other?

View attachment 630007
    No, it's very common that you will get more air bubbles from one side versus the other(s)

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    Texas
    @road looks like fine wicking. Do you like that cotton in particular and can you compare it to cotton bacon? Edit....just now looked at some pics and I thought it came in rolls. But it seems to come in pads but they look fluffier than the pads I sometimes use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't used Cotton Bacon, so really can't compare. I've used some cotton that came in a roll, can't remember the brand and it was good. I've been using the Muji pads, mostly cuz I got a good deal on a big bag (140 pads/$5). It's easy to use and I can always get just the right amount of cotton I need when I cut the pads. I do kind of a modified version of the Scottish Roll. I don't use as much as the traditional method, but after peeling off the top and bottom layers, I do gently break and spread the fibers apart. I spread it thin until you can literally read thru it, about 4-5 times as wide as the width I started with and gently roll it up. Wick the coil, then trim and fluff the ends.

That's pretty much how I wick everything. The only differences are how much cotton I use and how short I trim wicks, depends on coil size and what type of atty I'm using.

MidwestGuy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    Iowa
    Just picked up a couple of these... been trying out various tanks in an effort to replace my three original Lemo tanks which are finally starting to show their age in more ways than one (bottom fill!) All have been mostly duds so far, and this one is by far my favorite with the DigiFlavor Siren a close second. My only issue with the Siren is the literal siren sound it makes when taking a drag off it!

Took me about four times to get the wicking right ... using 24ga SS316L, 7 slightly spaced wraps coming in at .40 ohms on a SwitchBox DNA75, running anywhere between 20-30 watts with TC set to 410. The first three wicking attempts my KGD cotton was too thin and long, clogging the liquid holes, I believe, leading to reduced vapor (no dry hits due to temp control, thankfully). Bubbles were barely forming and then sticking, like many have experienced.

The last attempt: much thicker strip of KGD, trimmed much shorter with "points", and then gently coaxed inside the inner deck walls. This method sucks up the liquid perfectly, vape is far more robust, full of flavor, and wicking extremely well with no trapped bubble issues. My 50PG/50VG works fantastic, as does my 30PG/70VG.

The only "issue" (if you want to call it that) that I've ran in to so far is the incredibly lose JFC. I feel like the tank is not secured to the base when I tighten it all the way and then open it back up to expose the channels. This has not been an issue though, and it's tight enough that it doesn't freely spin. I think I did get a bit of liquid on the O-ring, which may have lubed it up just a bit too much. Regardless, no leaking and very happy so far (glad I ordered two!)

I just recently switched to the SS316L from Ni200 and wow... much cleaner, and I didn't realize I was getting such a "metal" flavor before, as I believe I was just used to it. The SS316L with my favorite liquid tastes much cleaner/smoother now with a great flavorful punch with the airflow about halfway closed on a slow draw.

I have one more tank coming later this week, the OBS Engine. From what I hear, I'm going to enjoy both, and I can finally say that I'm comfortable enough retiring my Lemo tanks. Finally.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2016
    @MidwestGuy Glad you finally got it to wick properly. This tank's wicking gave me a hard time especially in combination with regular 24 kanthal wires, but I finally got it down and I have been using and enjoying it a lot more than my other tanks. I will be buying a SS wire as soon as possible in order to compare it with the Clapton coil I have installed at the moment in terms of flavor and longevity, and I am sure TC with this tank is going to be very beneificial.

I too recently got the OBS Engine tank but I am still trying out different builds for it to get maximum flavor but I've yet to find one. Its airflow is really wide so I always use it halfway open and it is really smooth and not too loud, even when only halfway open. It doesn't consume a lot of juice and of course having a 5ml capacity helps. Wicking it is really easy and I've tried several different ways successfully so I'd say it is a convenient tank, but I have been using my Merlin Mini tank more lately and in single coil mode. I guess I am just a single coil guy. :D

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2014
    Land of Oz
    The Ammit has become my favorite tank. With the SS316 2x30 + 38g with Fiber Freaks D1 it taste great, and that it doesn't gurgle up the juice as fast as the Ijoy Limitless+ is great too! Saw a youtube review where he said one had to close the JFC to fill it so it doesn't leak. I don't have to.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2014
    Land of Oz
    Just picked up a couple of these... been trying out various tanks in an effort to replace my three original Lemo tanks which are finally starting to show their age in more ways than one (bottom fill!) All have been mostly duds so far, and this one is by far my favorite with the DigiFlavor Siren a close second. My only issue with the Siren is the literal siren sound it makes when taking a drag off it!

Took me about four times to get the wicking right ... using 24ga SS316L, 7 slightly spaced wraps coming in at .40 ohms on a SwitchBox DNA75, running anywhere between 20-30 watts with TC set to 410. The first three wicking attempts my KGD cotton was too thin and long, clogging the liquid holes, I believe, leading to reduced vapor (no dry hits due to temp control, thankfully). Bubbles were barely forming and then sticking, like many have experienced.

The last attempt: much thicker strip of KGD, trimmed much shorter with "points", and then gently coaxed inside the inner deck walls. This method sucks up the liquid perfectly, vape is far more robust, full of flavor, and wicking extremely well with no trapped bubble issues. My 50PG/50VG works fantastic, as does my 30PG/70VG.

The only "issue" (if you want to call it that) that I've ran in to so far is the incredibly lose JFC. I feel like the tank is not secured to the base when I tighten it all the way and then open it back up to expose the channels. This has not been an issue though, and it's tight enough that it doesn't freely spin. I think I did get a bit of liquid on the O-ring, which may have lubed it up just a bit too much. Regardless, no leaking and very happy so far (glad I ordered two!)

I just recently switched to the SS316L from Ni200 and wow... much cleaner, and I didn't realize I was getting such a "metal" flavor before, as I believe I was just used to it. The SS316L with my favorite liquid tastes much cleaner/smoother now with a great flavorful punch with the airflow about halfway closed on a slow draw.

I have one more tank coming later this week, the OBS Engine. From what I hear, I'm going to enjoy both, and I can finally say that I'm comfortable enough retiring my Lemo tanks. Finally.

You have to loosen it to open the JFC? I have to screw it tight to open it. It's loose when it's closed.

Open and tight:

ammit.JPG

Last edited:

MidwestGuy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 17, 2014
    Iowa
    You have to loosen it to open the JFC? I have to screw it tight to open it. It's loose when it's closed.

Open and tight:

View attachment 630675

That IS the one thing I do not like about the tank... the JFC is not independent, it relies solely on the t

Open and tight:

View attachment 630675

I think I may have had to break in the seal a bit for this to work properly. It now spins (with good resistance) in a clockwise direction. It wouldn't spin at all when I first got it.

ETA: Still definitely in the running for favorite single coil. Decent capacity (plus I have two of them), not a hint of leaking, easy to wick/wire. The Siren, albeit a bit tighter draw and the annoying whistle, is right up there too. Excellent flavor on both.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2014
    Land of Oz
    That IS the one thing I do not like about the tank... the JFC is not independent, it relies solely on the t

I think I may have had to break in the seal a bit for this to work properly. It now spins (with good resistance) in a clockwise direction. It wouldn't spin at all when I first got it.

ETA: Still definitely in the running for favorite single coil. Decent capacity (plus I have two of them), not a hint of leaking, easy to wick/wire. The Siren, albeit a bit tighter draw and the annoying whistle, is right up there too. Excellent flavor on both.

Good that its working better for you. I find the threads of poor quality on it. It was stuck, but a night in the freezer fixed it. Have preordered the OBS Engine Nano RTA from FT. Should be better. :)

Reactions: opticruby

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Good that its working better for you. I find the threads of poor quality on it. It was stuck, but a night in the freezer fixed it. Have preordered the OBS Engine Nano RTA from FT. Should be better. :)
    The OBS Engine Nano is Awesome!

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
    Oct 26, 2016
    Just tried a Fused Clapton build on my Ammit and so far so good. I was hesitant to try it on the coil master since the wire is really thick but it worked when I loosened the screw on the coiling pole a tiny bit so it would fit the wire. I did 6 wraps on 2.5mm and it is reading 0.41ohm which I believe is pretty good for flavor.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM.jpeg
      WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM.jpeg
      73.8 KB · Views: 109
    • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM1.jpeg
      WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM1.jpeg
      79.6 KB · Views: 105
    • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM2.jpeg
      WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM2.jpeg
      79.3 KB · Views: 105
    • WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM3.jpeg
      WhatsApp Image 2017-01-27 at 3.20.06 AM3.jpeg