Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Hello everybody,
I just signed up here to post this message, after 2 days of constant rebuilding. Hoping to get a cure to my Ammit.

Now I installed 24ga kanthal 3.5mm spaced build reading at 0.6ohms, using Cotton Bacon, thick juice. I achieved really nice juiceflow by using the cotton on the "more" side. I didn't stuff in too much cotton, it slides easy in, but compared to the lesser cotton builds this wicked efficiently. Chain vaping and no dry taste.

Now my problem is, it gurgles too much for my liking. The gurgle is up to the point of spitting back, although it doesnt reach my tongue all the time, gurgles are sometimes in small explosions, it makes me really uncomfortable.

I am trying vaping between 27-47 watts. On lower wattages, the gurgling really minimizes with a loss of flavor. Here it starts clean and gurgles afterwards. On higher wattages gurgles are much powerful, starts in beginning, somewhat diminishes afterwards. Here the explosions are more pronounced. On medium (37) watts it vapes better, but all the time with medium gurgle.

While using less cotton, I was able to eliminate gurgling, however the hits were easily getting dry.

Now dear Ammit users, what is your situation with gurgling? Is your device vaping with a clean "ssshh" sound? Do you have any recommendations for me?

Any help appreciated...

edit: After reading my own message, for the pattern it vapes on different wattages, it raised a point that it may not be heating enough, so I raised to 55 watts, and it's getting better. Now it starts with with a pop, and continues smoother. It started that dry taste again. Isn't this wattage too much for my build at 0.6 ohms? (around 6 volts, 9.7A it reads).
I don't feel that 55W is too high for a 24g build, I run the Goblin Mini V3 with a single spaced 24g SS316L build that I run at 60W. If you are looking to run at lower wattage then I'd switch over to a 26g build. Popping on a spaced coil usually has to do with the coil wick density. I use Rayon so my coils are packed tightly, wick squeaks with movement. I have never used Cotton Bacon so I might suggest a little denser wick in your coil.

Does your build continue to hiss for a bit after you let go of the fire? That is an indicator of not enough coil wick density or a really gunked up coil.

cyberpunx

Mar 3, 2017
I don't feel that 55W is too high for a 24g build, I run the Goblin Mini V3 with a single spaced 24g SS316L build that I run at 60W. If you are looking to run at lower wattage then I'd switch over to a 26g build. Popping on a spaced coil usually has to do with the coil wick density. I use Rayon so my coils are packed tightly, wick squeaks with movement. I have never used Cotton Bacon so I might suggest a little denser wick in your coil.

Does your build continue to hiss for a bit after you let go of the fire? That is an indicator of not enough coil wick density or a really gunked up coil.

Thank you for helpful post. So its advisable to use a spaced coil, when the wick is dense? Regardless of the wicking material, does a denser wick carry the juice faster or shall i aim for less? In my setup I achieved to provide the juice flow the Ammit needs by using "enough" cotton, however when trying with less amount, the wick was more prone to drying...

So you say that i need to have a higher wattage in 24g build... I can crank it up but then it starts those dry hits again... Otherwise gurgling is better there.

It looks so that in my setup the gurgling is because of too much juice, which is unable to vaporize efficiently. At least this is what I lean towards now.

I will try a 26g stainless steel build tomorrow. Then I will report back. I have got 24g kanthal, 26g SS316, and a clapton from kanthal+ss.

Dear Ammit users: Please post here the details of your successful builds so that we can benefit from your experience.

I need to add that when I depress the fire, it stops immediately.

And I'm trying my best to cut those ends short, and not to stuff them in, yes.:confused:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I always use koh gen doh cotton and have been running a .5 coil made from 26/32 Clapton wire. I only vape around 20 watts. The diy liquid I've been running is 17pg/83 VG. I make the cotton fit tight in the coil, cut it about the width of the base, and tuck the ends in the holes. I know I'm vaping much lower wattage than you two but I get plenty of vapor and no dry hits. My liquid is 12mg.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2016
    Mine is also stiff but that is probably a good thing. I never even move it to refill and get no leaks. If you shine a light into the glass you can see that the opening for the juice flow is actually much smaller then the part that slides. In fact it is pretty small. Seems to work fine for me I use 70/30 juice and no problems.

Reactions: TrollDragon

cmillion

Dec 7, 2014
    Chicago, IL US
    Just wanted to chime in for those that may have been having a lackluster flavor experience with this atty. I got the Ammit four days ago and have been struggling to extract any flavor from it. Tried multiple coil styles and wicking methods... 2.4mm and 3mm standard contact/spaced coils, 6-9 wraps. Wicking and vapor performance had been great, just no flavor. Today I tore the atty down, added grubs screws since the stock screws never seemed to stay tight, and built a 7 wrap, 3mm id spaced coil with 26g SS coming in at .53ohms. I elevated the coil so that the side airflow is barely touching the lower part of the coil. Voila! Flavor at last. Previously I had been placing the coils just slightly north of center or about even with the airflow holes.

Edit:
    Should be noted that this RTA is being used in TC mode on an Laisimo L1 at 45w and 450ish degrees. Also using organic cotton balls for wicking.

Last edited:

Chodi

ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2016
    Thank you for helpful post. So its advisable to use a spaced coil, when the wick is dense? Regardless of the wicking material, does a denser wick carry the juice faster or shall i aim for less? In my setup I achieved to provide the juice flow the Ammit needs by using "enough" cotton, however when trying with less amount, the wick was more prone to drying...

Dear Ammit users: Please post here the details of your successful builds so that we can benefit from your experience.

And I'm trying my best to cut those ends short, and not to stuff them in, yes.:confused:

Stainless steel works best for low ohm builds (.15-.3 ohm). The Ammit seems to like builds over .5 ohm much better. I have used both 26 and 28 gauge Kanthal with success in my Ammit. I had more success at builds around 1-1.2ohms. As long as I keep it there I never get dry hits but obviously I am always under 30 watts. When I first got it I jumped in with a low ohm build at around 50 watts and it was a mess. Some here have reported success with low ohm builds on the Ammit but that was not my experience. Flavor is also a function of wicking I use less cotton in the Ammit and that seems to keep the wick nice and wet.

cyberpunx

Mar 3, 2017
    I am using it with kanthal 24g 5-6 wraps, the coil needs to be heated fast in order to not gurgle. So it's better to have not so many wraps. And also somewhat higher wattage is essential in order to preheat fast. I'm vaping it at 55w. The wire is rolled onto 3mm diameter, and because of the diameter, there is abundant cotton and therefore enough juice soaked inside that cotton to not to have a dry hit. I also tried 3.5mm but then needed more powerful coil in order to not to gurgle at start. Dry hits can be prevented everything is balanced like this, and you can easily vape 55-60 watts with Ammit. And also you can use 26-28 gauge as well, it should be easier, but then 2.5 mm is enough, given that the coil heats fast enough (not too many wraps). More than this, don't forget the wicking technique is the key to not having dry hits.. And also composure of cotton is also important, its better to have uniform cotton

cmillion

Dec 7, 2014
    Chicago, IL US
    Just started playing with some 26/32 SS316 fused Clapton wire that had been sitting in the bottom of my supply box for ages. Built a 6 wrap 3mm coil coming in at .14ohm and at 50w and 450 degrees it has the best flavor I've had using an RTA. The downside is after a 1/4 tank, the cotton and wire is already brown and getting nasty even with clear liquid. Bummer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread