Geekvape Ammit -- another single coil option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
I put my Ammit aside for awhile and just started using it again.

Only leaks I've experience were minor and from the AFC, because
of low juice levels.

Currently using a 3mm inner diameter 0.5ohm spaced Stainless Steel
clapton coil (Standard SS UD clapton wire) with KGD cotton. No dry hits
and I'd like to point out that I raise the wick ends a bit so they lightly touch
the juice holes and are not pressed against. E-juice 65%-70%vg.

Originally found the vape a bit harsh, but a drop in flavoring levels seems
to have cured that (Kanger Subtank Mini's I normally use require extra
flavoring in my DIY).

Last edited:

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
@Beeker25 yes, the first couple of wicks I used were bacon but it didn't make a difference, I still got mutated flavor and dry hits. I still have the issue to this day, if I'm honest. I had no idea you could use a Clapton with temp control, though?

I use SS Claptons. Both core and wrap. Seems to work well with my DNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nocigsnomore

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
The only temp control wire I've ever used is the SS316L and it was good while it lasted, which wasn't very long for some reason. I'm pretty much a wattage mode guy, but with all the crap I'm getting from the Ammit, I might just try a SS316L again because SS Claptons aren't available over here. We also recently received Tiger and Juggernaut wires, are either of them any good?

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
I haven't used those wires or know much about them. Mostly I roll with single coil SS316L in temp mode about 75 pct of the time on my DNA200s. Otherwise I run simple kanthal builds in dual coil RTAs. Like with the OBS Engine. Good luck. Quite honestly I prefer the Merlin over the Ammit because I think it wicks better but the Merlin tends to seep over time.

Reactions: hittman

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
The only temp control wire I've ever used is the SS316L and it was good while it lasted, which wasn't very long for some reason. I'm pretty much a wattage mode guy, but with all the crap I'm getting from the Ammit, I might just try a SS316L again because SS Claptons aren't available over here. We also recently received Tiger and Juggernaut wires, are either of them any good?
I like and use SS wire in wattage mode in all my tanks. I tried TC with it but never noticed any difference.

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
I started using SS when I got a couple of DNA mods. I use the mods only for temp control. I've got a Smok r200 for power mode and usually with kanthal. I also have an Alien. Or had one. Somehow my Boreas leaked into it one night and I found juice at the bottom of my battery compartment. Then one day I fired it up and [emoji91]. Smoke out of the mini connector. Fortunately I've gotten into the habit of always firing first with my face out the way. [emoji83]

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I'm running a .45 ohm twisted 26 awg kanthal, 2.5mm ID, cellucotton rayon wick. First try I got a little leaking, rewicked and all is well. Very nice flavor, consistent, at 24W.

Two tries to get the wicking right is, to me, fine. I like this little tank a lot :)

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
Yeah I learned my lesson. One of my DNA boards went bad. Right after a new build punch the button and it's Mt. Vesuvius in my mouth. Could have been worse as I just got a small boo boo on the roof of my mouth. Under warranty repair confirmed bad board. Now when I pick up a mod after it's been sitting, fire it first.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
Hi :)

Finally got it working great. Tried with something else than a single wire coil for the first time. A SS316 fused clapton, 30gx2 and 38g wrapping. 0.65Ohm. Fiber Freaks D1 wick. Trimmed the ends some.

fused.jpg

Last edited:

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Have you guys tried the Tiger wire before? My local shop has Tiger, Juggernaut, Alien, K Clapton, 24-gauge kanthal, 26-gauge kanthal, and SS316 wires. I feel like the regular (thin) SS316 is a bit too small for a single coil build, and from reviews and hearsay I'm leaning towards the Tiger for flavor. What do you guys think? And if I get it, how many wraps should I do and on what diameter? And do I make it contact or spaced? This is going to be the final straw with this tank.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Have you guys tried the Tiger wire before? My local shop has Tiger, Juggernaut, Alien, K Clapton, 24-gauge kanthal, 26-gauge kanthal, and SS316 wires. I feel like the regular (thin) SS316 is a bit too small for a single coil build, and from reviews and hearsay I'm leaning towards the Tiger for flavor. What do you guys think? And if I get it, how many wraps should I do and on what diameter? And do I make it contact or spaced? This is going to be the final straw with this tank.

I'm sure someone can answer your specific questions. But something you might want to try are the Wismec brand SS NOTCH coils. While can and do build simple titanium and SS316L coils for most of my tanks, I haven't used any other coil except the notch in both my Ammit, and Merlins. Why, they just work and seem to last forever, I try to keep sweeteners and other gunky stuff out of my DIY juices. Both of these tanks allow for a perfect fit, and I can get a lot of rayon in the Notch coils 5mm ID. Since they have been working great for me in TC mode with 80vg juice I have yet to build a coil for those two tanks. Might be worth a try if you are having trouble. Good luck!

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
For good flavor, running in the 25W zone, I use twisted kanthal 26 gauge, 2.5mm ID, 4-1/2 or 5 wraps (depending on deck layout), 0.4 - 0.5 ohms (depending on if I do a microcoil or spaced). The two wires provide a good contact area with the wick. I use that as the baseline for all my tanks. (Very subjective, this is my sweet spot)

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'm kind of back and forth on this tank. At first I liked it but then I felt like I was getting better flavor from the goblin mini v3 so I keep switching the two. I like the airflow a little better on the ammit but feel like the goblin gives better flavor.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2014
    Land of Oz
    I'm trying twisted 28g Kanthal in my tanks and it really tastes better than single wrapped coils. I have to make some Fused Claptons soon.

Fused are by far the best! Will never install anything else from now on. Considering a Avid Artisan Daedalus to make life a bit easier. It requires a spool with at least a 10mm hole.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread