Geekvape Karma magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gury88

Apr 4, 2017
Florida
Hello guys. I recently bought a Karma Kit mech mod and today while I was cleaning the mod the magnets got stuck and one of them broke. My question is, I have a few spare springs from other mech mods laying around and they are new. Is it ok if I replaced the magnets with a spring or should I just stop using the mod right away ?

Attachments

• 20170523_204436.jpg
    20170523_204436.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 81

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Hello guys. I recently bought a Karma Kit mech mod and today while I was cleaning the mod the magnets got stuck and one of them broke. My question is, I have a few spare springs from other mech mods laying around and they are new. Is it ok if I replaced the magnets with a spring or should I just stop using the mod right away ?

Springs will have voltage going through them and the reason mech manufactures use magnets is because the springs end up loosing their springiness quickly. I have a mech that uses a spring and within 2-3 hits the spring was shot. I ended up buying magnets so I don't have to worry about it in the future. If you have another mod to use I would say don't worry about the spring and just find some magnets that will work or buy replacement magnets for that particular mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Springs do not carry current unless there is something wrong (dirty contacts etc).

That's funny cause the cherry bomber mod I had was brand new, not dirty and the spring lost it's springiness. Took it out and it was warm so it was carrying current. Called and talked to the B&M about it and they said springs do carry current. I mean if you think about it l, how could it not. It's metal wrapped around a brass fire button which in turn when pressed contacts a brass piece which is in contact with the 510. On the bottom side of that contact was a copper screw that contacted the battery. Beings that the spring is metal surrounding metal fire button that through other contacts touches the battery so when the fire button is pressed it creates a circuit. Metal gets hot when electricity is running through it. With the spring it gets hot and looses the temper that gave it the tension it needs to return the fire button into the ready position. So yes a spring would carry current. That's why people who have the cherry bomber were having hot fire buttons because of the spring. The fix was a set of magnets to replace the spring. No more issues after the magnets were installed.

Last edited:

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I'm not the only one that had the problem. If you do a search you will find a bunch of forums with people saying the same thing as myself. That's why they started selling the magnets to replace the spring. I understand the spring is there just for the action for the fire button and no it's not supposed to carry current but it was. Simple fact. The mod is clean, the fire button was assembled correctly and I agree with you that the switch may have had poor design. That's probably why the manufacture started giving the option to have the mod built with magnets instead of the spring.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Oh ok. I agree with you that that's not how they are supposed to work but that's an issue that not only the cherry bomber had but other mods out there may have the same issue. My comment I made is not true as a "general rule" but it could happen. I was pointing out to the OP that if he uses a spring he could run into the same issue as I had so I mentioned it would probably be best to go with magnets. That's all.

Reactions: Ben85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread