Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I guess this is a bump...

I bought some more glass tanks for my DID's from Bedazzle:

00. DID - Regular

They are a good deal cheaper than ordering them from MMV in Greece, which makes them practical again. I like being able to SEE my juice in there!

On another note I've come to appreciate the value of the complete tear-down, clean, and rebuild on gennies, especially my DID's. After a few weeks of use they tend to decline in performance and rebuilds don't test out as well before wicking.

My final solution is the total tear-down to the last separable part, cleaning them all in soapy water, rinse thoroughly, and rebuild with new O-rings and insulators.

I use brass center posts and jam nuts in my DID's, they conduct current better. I found that when I took them apart there was a hard coating of yucky stuff around the bottom of the center post inside the center tube, and after getting it off and polishing up that brass center post nicely, and cleaning the threads well it worked a LOT better.

The build that got me .74 ohm before all this was afterward getting me .66 ohm. Same build, same coil. I had to adjust some to get it back up to .7 ohm, but clearly the tear-down and cleaning had a major effect. I would even get ohms readings that jumped all over the place before this, with the meter vacillating all over the place. Afterwards I got good solid readings.

I think I'll start doing the total tear-down and cleaning regularly now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I guess this is a bump...

I bought some more glass tanks for my DID's from Bedazzle:

00. DID - Regular

They are a good deal cheaper than ordering them from MMV in Greece, which makes them practical again. I like being able to SEE my juice in there!

On another note I've come to appreciate the value of the complete tear-down, clean, and rebuild on gennies, especially my DID's. After a few weeks of use they tend to decline in performance and rebuilds don't test out as well before wicking.

My final solution is the total tear-down to the last separable part, cleaning them all in soapy water, rinse thoroughly, and rebuild with new O-rings and insulators.

I use brass center posts and jam nuts in my DID's, they conduct current better. I found that when I took them apart there was a hard coating of yucky stuff around the bottom of the center post inside the center tube, and after getting it off and polishing up that brass center post nicely, and cleaning the threads well it worked a LOT better.

The build that got me .74 ohm before all this was afterward getting me .66 ohm. Same build, same coil. I had to adjust some to get it back up to .7 ohm, but clearly the tear-down and cleaning had a major effect. I would even get ohms readings that jumped all over the place before this, with the meter vacillating all over the place. Afterwards I got good solid readings.

I think I'll start doing the total tear-down and cleaning regularly now.
Great idea...the tear down and rebuild. I do this on occasion, but typically do not replace o-rings unless they're damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Great idea...the tear down and rebuild. I do this on occasion, but typically do not replace o-rings unless they're damaged.

Well mine did seem a bit ragged, and I suspect that's how that coating got around the center post in the center tube, so I replaced them. It might also have had something to do with the ohms reading jumping all over the place despite winding the very same coil I've used so many times. A 6/5 wrap with 26 kanthal has always gotten me the same ohms pulled tight around a 2.5 mm drill bit before locking down the top lead and that's .7 ohm. When it starts jumping between 1.94 ohm and .97 ohm something isn't right. At that point I want to eliminate every possible issue. The total tear-down and cleaning works. New O-rings and insulators just make sure, and was applied to all my DID's.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yesterday I decided to make a project of my gennies. A total tear-down, cleaning, and rebuilding of the 5 gennies I use most, those being 3 DID's and 2 Krakens. They will be spanking-new clean and have all new wicks and coils. They always vape so fantastic after I do this to them.

I have DID 1124 in pieces soaking in a bowl of soapy water now and I'm rolling fresh wicks for all of them. DID 1152 and 1158 will follow, then the Krakens.

This is going to be fun and rewarding :)

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Got it done, all 5 gennies are totally clean with brand new wicks and coils, vaping like total champs, and I feel so good about it! Those other 10 gennies can sit and wait, these are the ones I use for work on 18-22 hour shifts.

I learned a new thing recently about the DID, that you can get some pretty wild ohms readings on a perfectly normal build for no apparent reason. It's happened to me before, and I got around it but didn't understand why. Anyway, I use brass center posts in my DID's, and GrowthCurve gave me a clue about that center tube. Checking the ohms it went all over the place from 3 ohms to 11 ohms, when I wanted .7 ohm on a coil I've wound hundreds of times for that resistance. I've seen this on two DID's now.

When I took the first DID apart the center post was coated in hardened gunk toward the bottom, which took some doing to get off, and then I ran a Q-tip stick through that center tube and came out with a lot of nasty black stuff! Those two things can definitely affect resistance.

I was thinking that center post needs to be insulated somehow, inside that center tube, and sealed against juice leaking down in there, but how to do that? The top insulator was not doing it, so clearly juice under heat can get past it and down that center post inside the tube. This prolly accounts for the black icky stuff in the center tubes.

Mulling this over I hit on coating the section of the center post inside the tube and in the top and bottom insulators with clear nail polish. It worked. I got out all my spare center posts and treated them likewise. Hard as Nails (tm) worked like a charm. I made sure I cleaned out the center tube on all 3 DID's real good too. Cleaned the switch parts on all 4 Poldis as well and now they are modwomping to beat the band.

It was a learning experience and a rewarding day :)

Reactions: Vaya and Tagi

Vaya

ECF Veteran
It feels sooooo good to get that done, doesn't it, Vaslovik? I just tore down and revamped my two NextGens, Nextiny and In'Ax MKiir with 0.4mm SSV Ti wire. I've never - in seven years - had a more pleasurable array of vape experiences. Threads are cleaned, tanks washed out, mesh sleeves around the SS cable replaced, all working at the epitome of perfection. So glad you got to experience the same rush today (for it truly is a rush, isn't it?).

Totally hear you on having those other gennies that just need to sit and be patient for the time being too *LOL* there are many....

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
It feels sooooo good to get that done, doesn't it, Vaslovik? I just tore down and revamped my two NextGens, Nextiny and In'Ax MKiir with 0.4mm SSV Ti wire. I've never - in seven years - had a more pleasurable array of vape experiences. Threads are cleaned, tanks washed out, mesh sleeves around the SS cable replaced, all working at the epitome of perfection. So glad you got to experience the same rush today (for it truly is a rush, isn't it?).

Totally hear you on having those other gennies that just need to sit and be patient for the time being too *LOL* there are many....

Yes! It's particularly good to know that your mesh wick is solid, uniform, and wicking strong, your seals are all tight, threads all clean, switch working perfectly, coil perfectly uniform top to bottom and glowing evenly on the wick, O-rings set tight and sealed, and everything in that genny is clean and put together right, and you are getting a seriously strong and satisfying modwomper vape because you devoted serious attention and effort to it.

Pretty rewarding stuff :D

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
4th DID now in service with the arrival of parts from MMV this morning. This one is one of the very first DID's made, so early that it has no serial number, but has been verified by MMV to be one of theirs and a very early version. I'm very pleased to have it in my collection.

It came with a short metal tank, so I replaced the center tube with the standard longer one, and the center post with the longer standard DID brass post, then gave it a standard DID glass tank, and the modern black delrin drip tip. The original metal drip tip got too hot too fast. I have the original parts saved aside.

Threw my standard mesh and .7 ohm 26 kanthal coil build on it this morning and it's vaping grandly as I knew it would. When I bought my first DID I had no idea I would fall in love with MMV's hardware, it just sorta happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Innova

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
4th DID now in service with the arrival of parts from MMV this morning. This one is one of the very first DID's made, so early that it has no serial number, but has been verified by MMV to be one of theirs and a very early version. I'm very pleased to have it in my collection.

It came with a short metal tank, so I replaced the center tube with the standard longer one, and the center post with the longer standard DID brass post, then gave it a standard DID glass tank, and the modern black delrin drip tip. The original metal drip tip got too hot too fast. I have the original parts saved aside.

Threw my standard mesh and .7 ohm 26 kanthal coil build on it this morning and it's vaping grandly as I knew it would. When I bought my first DID I had no idea I would fall in love with MMV's hardware, it just sorta happened.

Love my single DID... I got a silly rule I've imposed upon myself... I am not allowed to have any duplicates in my collection...

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Love my single DID... I got a silly rule I've imposed upon myself... I am not allowed to have any duplicates in my collection..

I agree, that's a silly rule.

Looking for my 6th Poldiac now, and my 5th DID. When you happen upon your ideal vaping platform it just makes sense to pursue it as far as you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, but I'm up to 150 atomizer with no dupes... 85 mods... when The Wife asks why I have so many, I tell her I haven't made up my mind yet... :p

Well that's one approach to it. For my part I made up my mind when I got into MMV hardware. For me that was where it was at. Standardized hardware platform of superior quality and performance, easy to build on and maintain, lots and lots of spare parts. Eminently practical and all the vaping satisfaction I could ask for.

No regrets.

Last edited:

Vaya

ECF Veteran

wait a sec?... does this picture (and verbal representation) represent the Poldiac i procured for ya?!!
sorry for the late reply, ive been soooooo focused on getting on the latest VWM atty list, i haven't been on ECF that much.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
wait a sec?... does this picture (and verbal representation) represent the Poldiac i procured for ya?!!
sorry for the late reply, ive been soooooo focused on getting on the latest VWM atty list, i haven't been on ECF that much.

Yup, sure does. That Poldiac Hoey Sleek is 3rd from the right, and the DID is on the Miriam WTH on the Right. That Poldiac cleaned up pretty nice.

Reactions: Vaya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread