Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If I had a compelling story to tell, and I was in a position to be able to tell it, here is what I would do...

1) Review my local newspaper to find which writer in which section would be appropriate for doing such a story
2) Call the chosen writer and arrange a meeting with them
3) Send them an email with the information provided by CASAA with links to all pertinent information that might be needed at said meeting
4) Meet with them and tell them my story face-to-face while referring them to the links to answer any questions

Unfortunately, my story is not even remotely compelling, nor am I in a position to appear in the media regardless of my story.
But it would be absolutely AWESOME if we could coordinate such an effort by vapers around the country for World vaping Day.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So then its not feasible for every member (i thought there were more than nine) to submit an article to their local papers discussing their battle with bans? The nine leaders could be spotlighted nationally.....

sorry if the suggestion riled feathers. wasnt meant to be taken attackatively . just hoping to get the word out. (For free)
I wasn't saying your idea wasn't feasible - actually, I wasn't responding to your post really at all, it was more about the OP.

Based on your follow up post I think you may have missed a major point though. Who is going to get the word out to the members? Who is going to write the articles? Who is going to submit the articles to the newspapers?

Anyhow, your idea is a good one and we get great ideas like your's all the time - but we lack the manpower and/or funding to do 99% of them. People do this all the time: "Hey, why don't we..." or "Hey, why doesn't CASAA..." and then we never hear from them again. They are absolutely clueless how much time, energy and effort the sum of all these projects and demands take. Unless one of the 9 volunteers on the board (or the occasional inspired member) picks up the ball and runs with it, it doesn't get done. They say "It'll just take a little..." but they forget that we have 101 "just a littles." We can only do so much - the board is spread thin enough as it is. We could use members to show up to meetings and form committees and start implementing all these great ideas. Basically, if you have an idea - then show up at a meeting and plan on getting to work, because the board can't take on any more projects than it already has. We are going to start burning out and quit and then where would CASAA be? As it is, some of us have already come very close to having to walk away to keep our spouses happy or simply to keep our sanity. It wouldn't be so bad if we had a full board and active member committees to even out the work distribution.

When I first agreed to be a director, my impression was that we were going to get things set up and organize the troops that we would guide and lead when they were going out to fight the battles. Instead, it turned more into most of the troops staying home and complaining that we weren't out there winning the war for them - even though it's obvious we are out-manned and out-gunned.

To paraphrase the Toby Keith song - we need a little less talk and a lot more action from our members and the members of the vaping community.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
It sounds like what we need is some way to get more people informed and involved.
I have already tried my best idea, and it seemed to have some limited success, but nowhere near enough.

I will finally be able to start attending CASAA meetings again, starting with the next one.
I look forward to working with CASAA to find ways to accomplish that goal.

And I hope everyone reading this that can attend, will attend.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I do want to make sure that the members who DO show up (even if not at the meetings but in other venues) and participate know that their efforts are EXTREMELY appreciated!!

Folks who actively and vigorously promote CASAA to new members like DC2, like Lauren who stepped up and started running our store, Linc for doing the documentary, wdstckdr who stepped up and has been working on filling out the legislative section of our forum at casaaforum.org, tazcat who posts CASAA news all over the social media and other forums, JustJulie who is not only a generous regular donor but also highly active with CASAA, Vicky from CigNot who has made the two single largest donations CASAA has received to date - there's about 25 members who regularly show up to meetings, give input, express readiness to assist, watch legislation trackers and update the board, post on the We Are CASAA facebook group, donate money, etc. You guys know who you are (sorry if I didn't mention you personally) and you ROCK! :thumbs:

It's just that CASAA needs to clone them about 1,000 times so we can have more like 25,000 active members just like them!

And the more members we have stepping up, the smaller each person's individual task needs to be, so it wouldn't have to be a part-time (sometimes full-time) job for members the way it has been for many of the directors.

I don't want to be only complaining, because we wouldn't have gotten this far without a lot of help along the way. It's just that people need to understand that the CASAA board doesn't really need new ideas - we've pretty much made up a huge wish list already and we have a good idea what needs to be done. What we truly need is people's involvement, contacts, expertise and money to make that wish list a reality.

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I would love to see the "wish list" posted and a "Call to Action for CASAA"
By knowing some of the dreams and what it would take may inspire some to get involved. It could certainly light a fire under my seat too.... I've been on the side-lines... I've donated too but didn't realize how things were operating until this thread. I feel I could do more and I would.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
- At least one active and participating Regional Representative in every city or town to help with CTAs
- Actively participating medical and science professionals
- Contacts in the media that call CASAA when news breaks and someone to send press releases to
- People to speak at legislative and committee meetings
- People to write, call and meet with their legislators and local representatives
- Video testimonials for the CASAA YouTube channel
- People with experience running non-profit organizations
- People with experience in lobbying/government
- People to finish setting up and maintain the legislative sections on the CASAA forum
- Local vaping groups to regularly promote joining CASAA and getting involved
- Online vaping groups to regularly promote joining CASAA and getting involved
- Get the CASAA map filled up
- Get 3 more reliable and active directors on the board
- Get local vapers to organize a meet (of any size) for World Vaping Day and let CASAA know about it
- Get people to post local meets on the CASAA Facebook page
- Get people to sign up for the monthly newsletter and pass it on to fellow vapers to sign up
- Get people to fill out their CASAA profiles with real names and contact info in the event we need to contact for a CTA
- Get people to donate more money or buy stuff from the CASAA store so we have money to:
- Order more promotional and education items for the store
- Support THR experts' and directors' trips to speak before legislators and committees
- Hire a professional lobbyist
- Hire a professional PR company to develop ad campaigns, the web site, fundraising
- Pay required non-profit state registration fees for dozens of states
- Support research and testing
- Create printed and digital educational material about THR
- Money to fly out an meet with talk shows, etc.
- Buy liability insurance for directors
- Hire a lawyer who specializes in non-profits

I'm sure there's a few I missed but that's what I can think of that I'd want/need.

Oh, and this too: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nst-proposed-indoor-use-bans.html#post5360015

That would be so awesome (check out the demo pic I posted after, too.)

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
If I had a compelling story to tell, and I was in a position to be able to tell it, here is what I would do...

1) Review my local newspaper to find which writer in which section would be appropriate for doing such a story
2) Call the chosen writer and arrange a meeting with them
3) Send them an email with the information provided by CASAA with links to all pertinent information that might be needed at said meeting
4) Meet with them and tell them my story face-to-face while referring them to the links to answer any questions

Unfortunately, my story is not even remotely compelling, nor am I in a position to appear in the media regardless of my story.
But it would be absolutely AWESOME if we could coordinate such an effort by vapers around the country for World Vaping Day.
Amen! Great tips on how to proceed. WVD is a grand opportunity.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
- At least one active and participating Regional Representative in every city or town to help with CTAs
- Actively participating medical and science professionals
- Contacts in the media that call CASAA when news breaks and someone to send press releases to
- People to speak at legislative and committee meetings
- People to write, call and meet with their legislators and local representatives
- Video testimonials for the CASAA YouTube channel
- People with experience running non-profit organizations
- People with experience in lobbying/government
- People to finish setting up and maintain the legislative sections on the CASAA forum
- Local vaping groups to regularly promote joining CASAA and getting involved
- Online vaping groups to regularly promote joining CASAA and getting involved
- Get the CASAA map filled up
- Get 3 more reliable and active directors on the board
- Get local vapers to organize a meet (of any size) for World Vaping Day and let CASAA know about it
- Get people to post local meets on the CASAA Facebook page
- Get people to sign up for the monthly newsletter and pass it on to fellow vapers to sign up
- Get people to fill out their CASAA profiles with real names and contact info in the event we need to contact for a CTA
- Get people to donate more money or buy stuff from the CASAA store so we have money to:
- Order more promotional and education items for the store
- Support THR experts' and directors' trips to speak before legislators and committees
- Hire a professional lobbyist
- Hire a professional PR company to develop ad campaigns, the web site, fundraising
- Pay required non-profit state registration fees for dozens of states
- Support research and testing
- Create printed and digital educational material about THR
- Money to fly out an meet with talk shows, etc.
- Buy liability insurance for directors
- Hire a lawyer who specializes in non-profits

I'm sure there's a few I missed but that's what I can think of that I'd want/need.

Oh, and this too: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nst-proposed-indoor-use-bans.html#post5360015

That would be so awesome (check out the demo pic I posted after, too.)

Thanks for posting this- we need a list like this in a thread of its own...and ask for "takers." I'm thinking of what I can do from that list right now, but this needs to be disseminated to the vaping masses. I think once folks know what is needed, you'll have more who want to give of their time, efforts and maybe even their money!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
When i get back to my pc i will try to remember to get a CAASA banner for signature. (to help others remember the united cause) .

I wish i had leadership and responsibility talents to be of more use but I'm limited.
I wish i had financial resources but that will be awhile longer I'm afraid. (Hang in there!!)
I wish I had full time electricity so i could attend meetings and catch up all around but I'm linited. (until we get a generator and gas prices to run it drops to reasonable).
I am very limited but I extend my gratitude and ideas with a full heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread