Getting a terrible astringent/bitter flavor from my new Vapeston Maganus (Freemax Starre)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
Just got a Maganus a couple days ago, and, so far, I've not been able to get anything resembling a good flavor out of it.

I'm getting a very bitter/astringent taste from it, vaping a .5 coil (which measures out at 5.5) at everything from 35 - 70 watts.

My first coil started out reasonably clean tasting, but the bitterness increased after maybe 10 mls. I figured the coil might need cleaning, so I popped out the first coil and replaced it with a new coil. This new coil has been bitter from the get go.

I'm using juice that tastes great in my rta/RDAs, but the astringent flavor drowns out any subtleties in the Maganus. Any thoughts as to what is causing the flavor to be so off?

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Just got a Maganus a couple days ago, and, so far, I've not been able to get anything resembling a good flavor out of it.

I'm getting a very bitter/astringent taste from it, vaping a .5 coil (which measures out at 5.5) at everything from 35 - 70 watts.

My first coil started out reasonably clean tasting, but the bitterness increased after maybe 10 mls. I figured the coil might need cleaning, so I popped out the first coil and replaced it with a new coil. This new coil has been bitter from the get go.

I'm using juice that tastes great in my RTA/RDAs, but the astringent flavor drowns out any subtleties in the Maganus. Any thoughts as to what is causing the flavor to be so off?

This is a strange one, the starre coils are one of the best coils for flavour I have used but saying that I have only ever used the 0.25ohm coils but I wouldn't of thought it would of made that big of a difference, have you got any 0.25ohm coils to try? How about trying a different juice ?
I have always praised the Starre coils for delivering so much flavour, wicking so well and lasting so long..for pre built ones, they are amazing.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
I'm assuming what you're calling "bitter" is what I've tasted with every Starre/Maganus head I've used, and I've burned through a bunch since late Jan-early Feb when I got it. I taste it as more of a burnt rubber taste. What I've done to get the head ready to vape is saturate it, fire it several times at low wattage until I'm satisfied it's wicking properly then ramp that baby up to 70 watts and blow through the tank so I'm not getting that horrible flavor as I fire away at least a 1/4 tank. After this drop to 45-55 watts (0.25, this tank's sweet spot for me) or 35-45 watts for 0.5 and that break-in taste is greatly diminished. Within an hour it's completely gone.

The other problem you could be having is if you've come from the last gen tanks there's a good chance there's flavor in your juice you've never tasted before. These next gen tanks throw SO much flavor akin to clapton coils that I've had to adjust all my juices I make. The grape I used to love is completely unvapeable as it went from a sweet grape juice type flavor to a sour candy grape that I despise. I tried adding sweetener to compensate but then just get that horrible sweetener aftertaste.

I'd suggest before you toss the Starre, ramp the wattage up to force it to break in quickly, cause if you're not hitting at least 50 watts it will likely never break in fully, then if the flavor is still there when you're positive you've broken the coil in you need to try a different juice.

Also, at the volume of vapor these new tanks put out, make sure you're no higher than 6mg nicotine as nic has no flavor itself, but it will definitely corrupt other flavorings, especially at higher wattages. I hover around 4mg.

Good luck!

PS~ Anyone that claims these tanks can realistically hit 150 watts is lying. 100 isn't even viable unless you're on 100% PG. Today's high VG juices? Forget about anything above 70.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
Never had this taste you describe, ever. Couldn't be happier with mine.
Your flavors probably cover that bad "breaking in" flavor. I stick with mostly lightly sweet and fruity flavors. Great at high wattages especially on clapton coils but the down side is you can taste anything funky in the hardware. I am happy with my starre, hence why I've used it for months now. There's just quirks as with any vaping hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread