Getting an e-cig wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Gulfport, MS
I'm curious about the best way to handle an e-cig if it gets wet. I live on the MS Gulf Coast and am fairly active when it comes to water activities, boating, fishing, swimming, tubing, etc. One of my most favorite summer activities is sitting in a chair in the water with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Obviously getting an e-cig wet would not be a good thing but what's the best way to handle it if it does? I'm aware that cartridges, in whatever form, would need to be replaced or cleaned before using again so my question would be simply for the battery. Fresh water may not be that bad but salt water is very corrosive and all devices should be rinsed well before using again. If you have an on/off switch on your battery should you attempt to turn the battery off or would it be better to just leave it alone until it dries? In the case of salt water you don't want to wait until it dries before rinsing.

I would imagine that it would be better to use a disposable such as njoy or whatever if I'm going to be in the water while vaping. They might be more expensive but I'm not going to be too upset if one of those gets ruined.

Does anyone have any experience with getting their devices wet? Fresh or salt water?

Saintly1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2013
Gulfport, MS
I thought about the rice bag also. It works very well with cell phones so I'm sure it will work fine with an e-cig. I guess as long as you don't activate the battery then it should be safe to rinse if necessary then let it sit even if you don't turn it off. Cell phones are the same, it's better to not try to turn them off. If you do it could short everything out.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Could get an otter box. I have one that was found, made for a zippo. Could fit my provari, extra battery and a dripping atty and a small bottle of juice in there easily. Crush proof, water proof & floats.

Would still have to be careful though.

I'm thinking your idea of buying some disposables, or at least cheap cigalikes (Volt's aren't too costly, yet rechargeable).

Dreddsparc

Dec 25, 2012
Ovilla, Texas
I have submerged a few cell phones in various liquids. Depending on whats in the liquid you will want to try different things to save the device. Plain old pure water, no biggie, can usually dry out said device on your dashboard on a hot summer day. Things like sweet-tea, beer, toilet water, salt water.. and others that leave some kind of residue or nasty stuff behind, required me to actually disassemble the device and clean with mild soap and a toothbrush, then rinse in pure water. Then of course back to the rice or hot dashboard :) Never lost a phone to wet stuff yet. You DO want to turn off the device as quick as you can first though, as even mildly conductive liquids (salt water) can quickly do damage to sensitive integrated circuits.

All that said, cell phones are a bit more complex than even vv/vw mods in the density of circuitry, so I would imagine that most pv's could be saved in much the say way. As long as you remove any chance of the liquid leaving 'residue' behind, the device can probably be saved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Months 1 weeks 2 Days 0:44 Hours Smoke-Free!,
800 cigs not smoked, $260.00 Dollars Saved,
Life Extended by 2 Days 18:40 Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
otter boxes are cool items, though a zip lock bag would do the trick quite nicely.

in the case of a PV just wrap the battery portion and maybe tape it off. This may not be a perfect solution, but i seriously doubt if it gets submerged your gonna let it sit there for long so any water getting into the baggie would be very minimal. Ive done this with my cell phone and a ziplock bag near the pool. never once had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread