Getting RBA supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Okay, yesterday I ordered my first rba, so now I need 400# SS mesh, and 28 ga. kanthal wire, which is proving difficult to shop for. I went to Temco for my kanthal, which is where I got my 32 ga. wire, but now in the product details I see in red letters that it's shipping in 5-6 weeks! Good gravy! What's the deal with that? I emailed them asking if that's really how long it's going to take, but no answer as yet, so I tried to call them, and all their representatives are busy, leave your number.... Yeow...

The SS mesh was a shopping adventure, I looked all over the web trying to find it in a decent amount for a decent price, and found many sites offering it in dinky little pieces, which I didn't want since this is my first rba and I and pretty sure I'll be making mistakes and re-doing wicks, nor did I want to buy it from Europe and wait a long time for it to be shipped. I checked Electronicstix out, but found they had some pretty bad reviews, and finally I ended up ordering a 6" x 12" piece of mesh from Mesh Wizard, which, when they emailed me the order confirmation turned into 500# mesh, which I guess should be okay.

I have no idea how long it will take to ship to Florida, but it cost me $12.26 including shipping, which isn't too bad. I'm still looking for that 28 ga. kanthal, and still not finding it. I sure don't want to wait a month and a half to get it from Temco. Anyone know a better place to get it faster?

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I buy most my RBA supplies from Alt Smoke. AltSmoke.com - A1 Kanthal Wire - 3.25ft Spooled I have no complaints with them!

Okay I checked them out, chose 4 of the 3.25 ft. 28 ga. kanthal wires, $6.60, then had them estimate shipping, I was offered two choices for that, the cheapest being 3 day USPS, for $9.50. I'd really rather not pay more in shipping than my order is costing me, and $9.50 is a bit much for that. It's not like 13 ft. of wire weighs all that much.

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013

Yeah, okay, I went with them, good reviews and $2.99 shipping for 50 ft. of wire is a lot more reasonable than $9.50 shipping for 13 ft. of the same wire. Thanks for the tip guy!

I really have to wonder if some places aren't hiding the real prices in their shipping and making out like bandits charging too much for shipping.

Also, it looks like all the vendors have jumped on Temco and are buying up all their wire to mark up and sell to us, I found a pic of Temco's wire on one site marked up with the Temco label right there on the spool, and now Temco seems to be all sold out of the wire we vapers need most. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
If you have issues making your stainless steel wicks (which I found to be much more difficult than wrapping coils), there are vendors that sell pre-rolled and slightly oxidized wicks ready to use. I use the ones from this vendor - no complaints.

Pre-rolled and oxidized stainless 325 mesh wick

Yes, I saw those, and I would much rather have the skills to make my own wicks. I consider the effort and expense to develop those skills well worth it, and having such skills quite rewarding.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes, I saw those, and I would much rather have the skills to make my own wicks. I consider the effort and expense to develop those skills well worth it, and having such skills quite rewarding.
I totally understand and agree with you.

It's just that I'm not a fiddler type of person. I prefer things work right out of the box. This is why I procastinated even trying an RBA for months. I did my research on technique and safety. Watched hours of demo videos. The coil part was relatively easy for me to learn. But I got so frustrated preparing steel mesh and wrapping the wick to a size that would fit into the small wick holes on my RBA. Then I found the above vendor that sold pre-wrapped SS wicks. Worked the first time I used it. This solved an issue that I was having, so I passed it on to you.

Good luck and enjoy your RBA!

kimbo55

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2012
san diego
Thanks for some new vendor choices. My problem has been getting replacement O rings for my RDA's. They are silicone I think. (clear) some are black on other RDA's. Also replacement screws for the posts. I have not tried a Hobby store that carries RC car supplies. That's the only other place I could think of that might carry small screws and O rings. Any ideas????

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Autoparts stores should have a wide selection of o-rings that you can use. I've not had to replace any, but reading here on the forum that was one of the suggestions.

For small screws, try some of the mom & pop type hardware stores. I was looking for small washers for the center post of my AGA-T2 to make a spring-loaded attachment for the positive wire of my coils for easier hook up. The big hardware stores like Home Depot didn't have any small enough. A local mom & pop hardware had just what I needed.

Probably a good idea to bring what you need replaced along with you to get the correct size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread