Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Last time that happened to me I was still smoking. I was so desperate that I inhaled cigs through my nose. Now I think I could just live without a vape for a few days. I know I couldn't have done that after just 3 weeks vaping.

I suggest stock up on nicotine lozenges. It doesn't go all the way to satisfying the urge, but it takes the edge off. That's what I do on long plane flights. It got me through trips to England. They say 2 or 3 days for tooth extractions which isn't all that long.

If you had the right tank you might be able to open up the airflow and use it without a problem. It's the negative pressure not the smoke you have to worry about so if you don't have to suck too hard you might be fine.

Good luck.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Biggest concern after extractions is the threat of "dry socket", which can happen if the blood clot gets "suctioned" out. So tight draw toppers are not recommended. (Yeah, I know, they recommend no smoking, no milk shakes....)

A small piece of sterile cotton pressed into the hole is what some have done, others have used a loose draw topper and gentle draws. A higher nic % may help as well if going that route.

I've had a couple pulled since starting vaping, and just vaped. Gently ;) While the combustion products of smoking are not good and will slow the healing, vaping doesn't have those, so, imo, it's mostly about not sucking that clot out.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
When I had my extractions (wisdom teeth) I was still a smoker. I smoked during healing and just gently placed my tongue over the gauze and smoked out of the other side of my mouth.

Good luck with appointment! Those are never fun. :(

Edit to add: Welcome to ECF :)

eLicky

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2016
Sydney - Australia
My last tooth extraction I was told not to suck on the socket, basically suck the blood out etc because you can get something called dry socket, its important a nice clot forms inside. Of course, vaping kind of replicates sucking when you're drawing in vaper.

Long story short, I waited for about 45-minutes after leaving, left the gauze in place, kept the wattage at a sensible level and took little puffs. I was fine, no issues, no drama, by that evening the gauze was out and I was still vaping. I've also had several extractions when still smoking cigarettes and basically smoked straight after.

I'm not saying you should repeat what I've done but with a little common sense and being conscious of the tooth just ripped out of your mouth and vaping sensibly I survived these extractions very easily.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Lozenges or patches. I know when I had my wisdom teeth extracted many years ago I smoked anyway, very gently, against medical advice but what can I say, I was an addict. I can't say I wouldn't vape in the same situation but it would be very carefully and gently.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
i walked out and smoked a cigarette right after getting my four widsom tooth pulled and kept smoking without any issues occuring. i would of probably still vaped too but, the way one may draw when vaping could make it temporarily a little painful afterwards (was a little when i vaped after getting first part of a root canal done)..
my advice is get a higher nic like 12mg and only take a couple quick draws when you get a bad craving, at least that is what i would do.

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
I had a tooth extracted a couple of years back and after the numbness in my lips had abated (about an hour) I vaped by keeping my lips open around the mouthpiece when inhaling. This lessened the suction thus reducing the likelihood of the clot coming away from the socket.

I was, and still am, a direct to lung vaper. My method won't work if you vape mouth to lung (and there are no guarantees that my method will work for you).

I've had a dry socket when I still smoked and the pain was nasty. :confused:

Good luck with the extraction; hope it goes well for you :thumb:

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
Don't forget the good old standby of putting a drop or two of e-liquid on your thumbnail and licking it off. Swirl around your mouth before swallowing. Good for temporary nic fixes when you can't vape.

With that said, I had 3 extractions done while I was still a smoker. After I woke up from the sedation and pain killer about 8 hours later, I continued as normal - went back to work, smoked, yadda. I just made sure I had a piece of gauze over the holes before smoking.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Depending on your setup you might also be able to get a fairly decent vape by just breathing normally through your mouth instead of pulling. It's the suction you have to worry about. You won't be blowing clouds, but a regular breath still pulls a good amount of vapor.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Don't forget the good old standby of putting a drop or two of e-liquid on your thumbnail and licking it off. Swirl around your mouth before swallowing.
Or, swish-and-spit. Most of the nicotine will be absorbed in your mouth, but if there's any left when you swallow, it could cause an upset stomach.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    A few weeks ago I went to get all my teeth pulled and prepare for dentures. Soon as I left the office I was vaping with gauze in my mouth. Be prepared to wipe any drool. The next day most of the bleeding stopped and numbness was gone. I just kept vaping like normal. Oral surgeon didn't tell me not to and I didn't bother to ask lol.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    After a pulled tooth, I used a SOAKED piece of cotton for 24hours like my dentist said. No one mentioned that, so I thought I would.

I think the fact that it is wet is to help the blood clot stay moist for an even clot. But, in the same sense I think clotting occurs in less than 24 hours. I still smoked though.

When it happens again :confused: I will just take lighter draws. I only vape at 2-3 mg, but vaping is my excuse to stop and relax at the office. If I can find butterscotch creme Nic lozenges, I will go that way.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I smoked like a chimney after my last extraction.

3 teeth.

But I was easy on the draw and kept my mouth super clean with rinses and mouthwash done very often.

Tapatyped

Haha.. I did too.. getting teeth pulled never once slowed me down! I just bit down on the gauze!

Reactions: beckdg

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I just had six teeth pulled and used lozenges for the first day. After that, I went back to vaping, and had no problems. I use gum when I can't vape, but did not think that would be good. I wish you luck.

If you do go with the lozenges, just let them dissolve in your mouth. Sucking, whether on your vape or a lozenge, is the problem.

I was smoking when I had two wisdom teeth out. I held off for 24 hours. Then I used a pin to poke holes in a cigarette (to loosen the draw) and smoked away. Fortunately for me it seems to have worked - I hear that dry socket is exceedingly unpleasant.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread