GG drip tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varsalles

Verified Member
Mar 9, 2014
Barcelona, Spain
To what temperature must PTFE be heated to be toxic?

Its not for cooking but...

Under normal cooking conditions PTFE-coated cookware is stable and safe. Many studies have found that PTFE-coated pans must be heated to above 536°F to release toxic particles and fumes, in a reaction called “pyrolysis.” This is a very high temperature, and is rarely reached during normal cooking. Most cooking in PTFE-coated cookware is performed at temperatures between 250° and 400°F. On the other hand, if a PTFE-coated pan is allowed to boil dry or an unfilled pan is heated on HIGH, toxic fumes can result. PTFE-coated drip pans (pans under the burners) will reach over 600°F or higher within minutes during normal use because of their close proximity to the heating element of the burner. Never use PTFE-coated drip pans in a household with birds.
After "Teflon" or other non-stick surfaces are scratched or tainted in any way, they are more susceptible to breakdown at lower temperatures. There have been reports of some instances of toxicity at lower temperatures.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Of course I agree Vars. But the thing is that we put it in our mouth. We have to be careful about everything we put in our mouth. Our teeth will scratch it in a while and toxic materials may go inside our system.

I dont see a reason to use teflon when there are better materials out there with same properties. Its like we use nichrome when there is titanium, or use brass on atomizers when there is SS, etc :)

monkkx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2013
paris, abu dhabi
My very bad, I made a mistake, I wanted to say Silicone drip tip, not teflon.
Teflon coating is a big NO for me, for the same reasons it's banned from my kitchenware, but what about teflon? It chemicaly stable at reasonnable temperature, gentle with the teeth in case of mechanical shock or friction, and I don't think particles swallowed would be small enough to be a threat. It's not eco-friendly, and the white color might not be the most elegant ... granted

What's your thoughts?

Bigwhiterabbitt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
N. Ireland
Thin is available on small style only Big :)

Thanks Imeo..

I understand the search function soulseek, my enthusiasm unwrapping Tilemahos got the better of me before I found the post where Imeo said he would consider it..

The only atomizers I use at present with metal drip tips are the Penelope V1 and the Eden Rose (and soon Tilemahos). Both have drip tips of a similar diameter and are extremely comfortable in use. Like many people I find drip tips of 9mm and 10mm uncomfortable. The drip tip on the Rose has a finely brushed finish and has never given me even the slightest cause for concern in use because it is never in contact with my teeth. This is from someone who cannot abide metal in his mouth although I do appreciate that some people do in fact "chew" their drip tips and for them a brushed finish is not a good option..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread