Status
Not open for further replies.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Ah. I gotcha. I guess mine is about the same then. Here's a quick photo.
9235551421_de046d314d_c.jpg

jeffsm3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2009
boise, id
I just spent the last four days reading this entire thread and what a good thread it is! I ordered two flat top kts's from FT about a week ago at 19 bux a pop, also got a nimbus type rda also. I've been vapin since 2009 and my first run provari has done me well! I've gotten into the rebuildables but now want to give the sub ohm stuff a try and need a mech. At 19$ it was a no brainer. I've read a few of you use the ch18650 grey ones right? Hope so cuz I ordered a few of those also. Anyway thanks to all of you who posted pix of this hot lookin little mod!

tmoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Madison, AL
I've read a few of you use the ch18650 grey ones right? Hope so cuz I ordered a few of those also.

If you're talking about these, I don't think those are 'protected' batteries and therefore they're not suitable for a mechanical mod. You need either IMR batteries, 'protected' batteries, or you could use some kind of circuit protector.
Those batteries are fine for vv/vw devices that have protections built in, not mech mods.

Edit: As noted below, those are hybrid batts, not 'unprotected' as I mistakenly identified them.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
If you're talking about these, I don't think those are 'protected' batteries and therefore they're not suitable for a mechanical mod. You need either IMR batteries, 'protected' batteries, or you could use some kind of circuit protector.
Those batteries are fine for vv/vw devices that have protections built in, not mech mods.

i believe those grey panasonic batteries are IMR. some folks call them hybrid batts, meaning ICR (protected) and IMR combo. whatever they are, LOTS of folks are using them on mechs. they are considered to be a very high quality battery. 10Amp limit, if i remember correctly. personally, i dont use 18650s so i dont know. i prefer a shorter mod, so i use 14500, 18350 and 18490 only.

if i was in the market for 18650s, id get those grey pannys mentioned/linked earlier, the green pannys* (similar to the grey ones- sorry i cant find the Direct Link in the midst of fasttech's AWESOME catorigization smh), and the new sony 30 amp batts**. fasttech has them all.

*$56.01 QIDIAN 5-Piece 1A/1.5A/2A/4A 6*18650 Dual USB Output Mobile Power Pack Battery Charger Kit at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
**$11.94 Sony US18650VTC3 18650 1600mAh 3.7V Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack - 30A discharge at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

heres an ecf thread pitting the the new sonys against the green pannys:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...p-battery-vs-panasonic-2250-cgr18650ch-5.html

Noob Saibot

Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
No house
Those matte black tube parts were initially gold plated. It's actually fairly easy to do. All you need is just a spray can of Dull Black(#4) from RJ London. Not sure where you can get it though.

Firstly i just masked the threads and some of the inner tubing with scotch-tape.
Then apply 3 coatings with intervals of 10 minutes.
That's all to it.

Anyways, i'm still searching for ideas on how to protect the paint from scratching.

Mare1077

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Miami, FL
Those matte black tube parts were initially gold plated. It's actually fairly easy to do. All you need is just a spray can of Dull Black(#4) from RJ London. Not sure where you can get it though.

Firstly i just masked the threads and some of the inner tubing with scotch-tape.
Then apply 3 coatings with intervals of 10 minutes.
That's all to it.

Anyways, i'm still searching for ideas on how to protect the paint from scratching.

The scratching of the paint is what I would be worried about. Did you sand it at all? Or did you just paint over the plating? I wonder if sanding it would help with regards to the paint scratching...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Noob Saibot

Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
No house
The scratching of the paint is what I would be worried about. Did you sand it at all? Or did you just paint over the plating? I wonder if sanding it would help with regards to the paint scratching...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

No sanding or priming of the plating..i just spray paint over the plating.

tmoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Madison, AL
It's the cheapest flat black spray paint from Wal-Mart. $0.96 for the black, about $1.50 for the blue. I don't think I grabbed a can of 'textured', but it's possible. It definitely has a texture to it. The blue is the same cheap brand but it's semi glossy and smooth. I wish it were 'flat' too. Don't know if there is such a thing as flat blue though. ha

Grond655321

Jul 16, 2013
Chicago
I've had my GG clone since early June. Don't know what it cost, it was given as a gift. This is my first mechanical mod, so although I have nothing to compare it to, I am impressed. I think the fit and finish is just fine, everything threads nicely. At this point, some of the gold is wearing off, but that doesn't bother me a bit - looks broken in. I think it is a really nice base to build on, and has taught me a lot about mechanicals etc. Now that I'm seeing that they are in the neighborhood of $30, why wouldn't you get one? I have been dealing with the hot button issue for a while. Just today I lightly sanded post and button, and a little bit of dielectric grease. Time will tell I guess.

tmoore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Madison, AL
Did the spray paint effect voltage drop by any chance?

Good question, so I just checked. Looks like it's the same. I was measuring a little shy of .2v drop before, and looks the same now.

P.S. I haven't learned the science of measuring voltage drop yet, but the .2v drop was measured touching the pos and neg posts of an RDA with a 1.4ohm coil. Metering he 510 connection (no load) gave me just a hair shy of 3.7v. Metering the RDA posts (loaded)gave me 3.5v.
What I don't understand is why there is no drop comparing voltage straight from the battery ends vs voltage at the 510 connection. It seems that would show how well current is flowing through the device (?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread