FDA Gil Ross – To save lives: “World No Tobacco Control” Day (criticizes FDA's war on vaping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Thanks Bill. I wish I could write like Dr. Ross.

AND, for anyone who thinks I'm a fear monger and some do which is fine with me. /lol I would respectfully remind them of that age old adage...actions speak louder than words.

Fair use extract and bolded by me:

The head of the FDA’s Center for tobacco Products is an ex-salesman for GlaxoSmithKline products named Mitch Zeller. He has frequently alluded to his belief in the “continuum of risk” of nicotine and tobacco products, and that regulation of these products should be commensurate with their actual risk.

But his actions as CTP chief belie this evidence-based approach.

His FDA tobacco center makes a pretense of seeking solid scientific data to assess the risks and benefits of vapor products. But what, in fact, are they actually doing?
They are seeking proposals solely for the purpose of detecting harmful effects, funding no study — not one — whose aim is to discern beneficial effects, as compared (of course) to smoking.

Actions speak louder than words!

Thank you
:)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Another 'must read' - well worth it - hits almost every single point needed. Liked this especially:

"His (Mitch Zeller's) FDA tobacco center makes a pretense of seeking solid scientific data to assess the risks and benefits of vapor products. But what, in fact, are they actually doing? They are seeking proposals solely for the purpose of detecting harmful effects, funding no study — not one — whose aim is to discern beneficial effects, as compared (of course) to smoking. This week the agency is hosting a "workshop" on e-cigarettes, replete with presentations from die-hard harm reduction antagonists, well-known data-manipulators and charlatans whose experimental outcomes were a foregone conclusion well before the experimentation was done. Meanwhile, respected clinical researchers with rigorous data supporting the beneficial impact of e-cigs were not tendered invitations to present their work. Again: not one (some were granted a 3-minute slot to present the science-based facts to the invited panelists: a task akin to Tantalus pushing that rock uphill)."

And it was Sisyphus, not Tantalus, who pushed the rock uphill, but not important.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic and not germane to the discussion

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
Fun with quotes, from this article in the weekly standard:

Senator: Use RICO Laws to Prosecute Global Warming Skeptics | The Weekly Standard

Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democratic Senator from Rhode Island.

"In 2006, Judge Gladys Kessler of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia decided that the tobacco companies’ fraudulent campaign amounted to a racketeering enterprise. According to the court: “Defendants coordinated significant aspects of their public relations, scientific, legal, and marketing activity in furtherance of a shared objective — to . . . maximize industry profits by preserving and expanding the market for cigarettes through a scheme to deceive the public.”
The parallels between what the tobacco industry did and what the
fossil fuel ANTZ industry is doing now are striking. ... The coordinated tactics of the climate denial Tobacco Control network, Brulle’s report states, “span a wide range of activities, including political lobbying, contributions to political candidates, and a large number of communication and media efforts that aim at undermining climate vapor science.” Compare that again to the findings in the tobacco case.
The tobacco industry was proved to have conducted research that showed the direct opposite of what the industry stated publicly — namely, that tobacco use had serious health effects. Civil discovery would reveal whether and to what extent the
fossil fuel ANTZ industry has crossed this same line. We do know that it has funded research that — to its benefit — directly contradicts the vast majority of peer-reviewed climate vapor science. One scientist who consistently published papers downplaying the role of carbon emissions vaporizers in climate change tobacco harm reduction, Willie Soon Stanton glANTZ, reportedly received more than half of his funding from oil and electric utility ANTZ interests: more than $1.2 6 million.

To be clear: I don’t know whether the fossil fuel
ANTZ industry and its allies engaged in the same kind of racketeering activity as the tobacco industry. We don’t have enough information to make that conclusion. Perhaps it’s all smoke and no fire. But there’s an awful lot of smoke."

Just food for thought.

All strike-throughs and red are mine , I used ANTZ to cover all the alphabet organizations.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread