1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Glass Tanks

Discussion in 'Tank Mods' started by roycrt, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. roycrt

roycrt Moved On

I was told I asked my question in the wrong forum and that this was a better place to ask it.

I have been reading these posts about building tanks out of syringes and poly tubing and such. I just have to ask. What is wrong with glass tubing? Borosilicate tubing would be strong. Breakage should not be an issue. So is there something that I am missing.

I am looking at the new 18650 mod by Joye and a building a tank for the top just seems to be the right way to go, but I really do not like the idea of plastic or some derivative.

Can someone help?

2. Charlz

Charlz Ultra Member ECF Veteran

You make it seem like I told you to go away. :p I just found this forum myself and figured it would get more response.
    There are more modders here. Never said "wrong forum" just this one may result in more help. I'm curious myself. Posting so I can stay updated.

3. thehangdude

thehangdude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

I think the hardest part of glass tubing would be cutting it to size. Finding a four foot tube of pyrex with a 5/8" ID would be fairly easy. But what would you cut it with. And then you need to polish the ends, so they are not sharp.

Would be interested also, if there is a way...

4. Semiretired

Semiretired Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Me too. I posted a link to glass tubes in the other thread and I am still thinking about experimenting myself. Hoping to get some good feedback from the more knowledgeable modders. Just in case - here is the link someone else posted for the poly tubing - it also carries glass tubing with almost any size you could think of...

McMaster-Carr

5. Semiretired

The site I posted with the glass tubing also sells cutters and the price in reasonable. LT $20... Polishing could be done with dremel attachments. I have done it with other projects so I do not see why it would not fit here. Also the Borosilicate / Pyrex is more heat resistant and not that fragile.

6. roycrt

roycrt Moved On

Sorry - did not mean to make it sound like that. There are so many more forums now than there were when I joined ECF - I am having trouble learning how to navigate it.

7. roycrt

roycrt Moved On

I checked the site - thanks. The glass tubing for a 12" piece is actually slightly cheaper than the poly tubing of the same size, which is surprising.

8. bert1983

bert1983 Accessories Supplier ECF Veteran

I will cut and polish it for you...so precise and clean you wont know it was cut. Just pm me. :)

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

9. Frick

Frick Ultra Member ECF Veteran

It's easy to cut with various glass tube cutting tools. I know my local hardware store has the tool to cut sight glass, which they'll let me use -- I used to work there.

Smoothing the ends requires nothing more than aluminum-oxide sandpaper -- same thing we used to smooth the cut ends of the sight glass.

I also notice that Amazon sells glass tubing (through resellers) and also test tubes, although I'm not sure if they'd cut easily or be too thin-walled.

10. jim_jay

jim_jay Full Member

11. Semiretired

To bad it is not in the U.S...

12. Traver

Traver Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Hey guys glass tubing is really easy to cut. You just score it and snap and it can be flame polished

13. Semiretired

Never tried flame polishing. Sounds interesting.

14. Frick

It does. But honestly, we used to use AO sandpaper on the ends of glass sight tubes, and it gives you that nice frosty "buffed" look, and gets very smooth.

15. mwa102464

mwa102464 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
    This is the guy you all want to work with any glass you got " Trust me on this one "

16. bp400

bp400 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Subscribe Post

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

17. Traver

Traver Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Did you work with melting and heating glass or just cutting? for me it was mostly for bending and stretching to make pipettes

18. HzG8rGrl

HzG8rGrl Trippy Tip Hoarder Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Bert is definitely the guy for this job. He takes pride in what he does and he does it like no other, perfection should be his first name!

19. Frick

Just cutting. We used an oddball old plier-like tool with the cutting wheels on a sort of chain. Like this: Glass Tubing Cutter.

We had to cut sight-glass tubing to length, then we'd buff the ends with aluminum-oxide sandpaper (actually it's referred to as sanding cloth) to a nice, clean and smooth edge.

I just figured for keeping it simple and DIY, this would work fine on cut glass tubing.

20. Gummy Bear

Gummy Bear Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Any hardware store will sell diamond cutting discs for a Dremel. Just make sure you cut it in/under water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.