Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Any news about what NebulBro discussed regarding tubing for the GLV that could accomadate the Kick.
I want to understand from what I read, does the Body of the XL Mini (wide enough) to accomadate the kick with the regular GLV non-resistant Cap Head?
It is a perfect diameter for the kick. Only problem is the XL mini tube is cut to length for the Black AW ICR batt which is just a bit longer than the IMR. This makes the tube just a tiny bit too long for solid lengthwise connection - I tried it. If GLV wants a kickable version they need to cut some tubes for the AW IMR +kick (preferably in both sizes - 18490+kick and 18650+kick) and sell them as kick versions. The 18490 would still work with IMR 18650 sans kick and the longer one would work sans kick if a spacer was available. Otherwise, GLV would be a perfect kickable device and I'd buy one (especially the 18650+kick size) - if they would only cut some tubes for the proper length. If cut to proper length, I would have no problem recommending Evolv to look at the device to be added to the verified Kick devices list. But in its current length, it is just a bit too long for a good fit.

andel11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Bay Area, Ca
It is a perfect diameter for the kick. Only problem is the XL mini tube is cut to length for the Black AW ICR batt which is just a bit longer than the IMR. This makes the tube just a tiny bit too long for solid lengthwise connection - I tried it. If GLV wants a kickable version they need to cut some tubes for the AW IMR +kick (preferably in both sizes - 18490+kick and 18650+kick) and sell them as kick versions. The 18490 would still work with IMR 18650 sans kick and the longer one would work sans kick if a spacer was available. Otherwise, GLV would be a perfect kickable device and I'd buy one (especially the 18650+kick size) - if they would only cut some tubes for the proper length. If cut to proper length, I would have no problem recommending Evolv to look at the device to be added to the verified Kick devices list. But in its current length, it is just a bit too long for a good fit.

NebulaBrot

I also would be one that would buy an adjustable GLV tube in either size to accomadate a - 18490+kick and 18650+kick.
Would really go nice with my GLV. NebulaBrot I am sending you a PM.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
NebulaBrot

I also would be one that would buy an adjustable GLV tube in either size to accomadate a - 18490+kick and 18650+kick.
Would really go nice with my GLV. NebulaBrot I am sending you a PM.
Not sure what you mean by "adjustable". Nothing I am suggesting includes any adjustability. To Clarify:

GLV currently cuts the XL mini to fit the AW black ICR 18650. This battery is just a little bit longer than the IMR batteries. Kick REQUIRES IMR batteries (IMR/high drain offers both the amps capacity needed for the boost of the kick AND is safer chemistry). The kick with an IMR 18490 is the same length as an IMR 18650. So, if the XL mini were just a tiny bit shorter (cut to fit accurately the IMR 18650) it would be a perfect fit for the IMR 18490+kick. The rest of the device is already perfect for use with Kick. This size would also work with an IMR 18650 without a kick. It would probably ALSO fit the ICR battery as the hot spring would probably easily compress enough to absorb the additional length of the ICR.

An IMR 18650+kick version could also be cut = just a longer tube cut to accurately fit the IMR 18650+kick. Again, merely the correct length tube is all that is needed as the rest of the device is already perfect. This version could also be used without a kick using either the ICR or IMR 18650 battery and a correctly sized battery spacer to occupy the space of the kick.

Hope this clarifies and Happy 4th.

EDIT - using IMR batts, without kicks, is better for LR attys and cartos too. ICRs do not have the ability to fully drive the amps demanded by LR 3.7volts combos. The result is under-load voltage drop-off to the voltage level where Ohms Law is satisfied by the maximum amps the ICR batt can push. This has 2 negative side effects: 1) lower than anticipated watts/heat from the vape and - more importantly- 2) under-load voltage drop-off is over taxing the battery by forcing it to perform at its absolute maximum ability for the entire length of the charge cycle. Voltage drop-off vaping is not the safest way to vape as it is unnecessarily over taxing the batteries. Use of IMR for LR gear is a MUCH safer way to vape LR (as it has amps to spare and so it CAN drive the LR gear without over-taxing the batteries) and it would also make the GLV XL mini perfect for use with kick.

In vaping, we are already asking a lot from batteries - not many other battery driven devices drain batteries in a few hours of use - so why push them to perform to their max and thereby over-stressing them? Just an unnecessary risk (IMHO) that is easily averted by using IMRs that have safer chemistry too.

Last edited:

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
EDIT: It's kind of funny when you reply to a post only to find out someone else is typing the same information about the same time you are.

I actually just spoke with Jay about the longer tube a couple of weeks ago. He said he had received some inquiries about it but he didn't know if he would be offering them. Currently you use a IMR 18490 + Kick or a longer 18650 by itself in the GLV XL Mini. The idea is that a longer tube could allow you to use a IMR 18650+ Kick so you get even longer vape time and variable wattage.

The Kick does fit in the GVL XL Mini head and offers full variable wattage. I actually just put a GLV XL Mini w/ Kick kit up in the classifieds last night.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ni-xl-w-kick-4-batts-charger-accessories.html

The only minor issue I have with it is that the protection circuitry in the kick seems to detect a low battery much early than it really is. The Kick uses some sort of resistance to check the battery level and I found about 1/2 through a battery it kicks in. From early readings on the Kick, I simply would turn the bottom cap about about 1/4 turn and it would solve the problem. It has something to do with the electronic path on a thread and I suspect is inherent to the Kick and not the GLV. It was a bit perplexing at first but now it is just second nature how to get it jump started again:)

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Brodie - as I said, I looked at the device very carefully. The XL mini tube is cut to fit the black AW ICR battery. That battery is a bit longer than the IMR battery. So, when you remove the ICR and replace it with an IMR 18490 and kick (combo is same length as IMR 18650) there is still some slop in the overall length. Kick likes vertical (lengthwise) pressure and is designed FOR that pressure. Using XL Mini with IMR and kick, removes that vertical pressure because the tube is just a tiny bit too long (because it is cut to fit the longer ICR battery). Your issues are most likely a direct result of exactly everything I am describing. Simply slightly shortening the length of the XL mini tube - to accurately fit the IMR 18650 battery - should solve the issue.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I guess I could also use a spacer....a nickle or better yet the knock out plugs from a metal electrical box.
You could, and it voids the kick warranty. Actually even using GLV in its current configuration voids the kick warranty as it is out of spec for the kick. Any use of kicks outside of the description on the Evolv website voids the kick warranty. As I said, I would have no problem taking the GLV device to Evolv for consideration to be added to the verified device list IF the tube get cut to the proper length.

brodie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2011
MI
Thanks for the insight and clarification. I'm not at all concerned about the warranty. The Kick has been great and in rotation for 5 months so I feel it has proven itself to be "without manufacturer defects". Perhaps I'll play with the space idea a bit. I became accustomed to just giving it a little twist to get it going again but now that I look at the configuration I see the size difference. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread