Glycerin vs. PG questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Cup

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
NE Ohio
Could somebody please help? I wanna make some homebrew no-nic juice, but don't understand the difference between Glycerin and PG.

From what I've read, they both make vapor. Is this true?

I think PG is thick, and you use Glycerin to thin it? If so, why use distilled water?

Does either of these have any taste?

I know this is all basic stuff, and probably in here somewhere, but this place is getting so big it's hard to find things...

Thanks for the help!

TC

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Could somebody please help? I wanna make some homebrew no-nic juice, but don't understand the difference between Glycerin and PG.

I think PG is thick, and you use Glycerin to thin it? If so, why use distilled water?

I know this is all basic stuff, and probably in here somewhere, but this place is getting so big it's hard to find things...

Thanks for the help!

TC
Tin Cup........Actually Glycerine is thicker than PG...and distilled is often used to "thin it out".Both do make vapor...VG a little more than PG..as far as taste goes...not much hence adding flavorings! Please read the posts here in the DIY section..it will certainly be worth the time it takes,and it will be a SAFER route as well! Happy Mixing!:)The Wiz!

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks for the help!

TC

Glycerine makes more vapor, which is why a lot of folks (myself included) cut PG juice with Glycerine. As was pointed out, Glycerine is thicker. I find that more than 40% glycerine in a solution is too thick for carts... it becomes a dripping-only liquid.

Another big difference in PG and VG (vegetable glycerine, or just glycerine) is how they break down in your system. PG breaks down into lactic acid (same stuff your muscles produce when excercising). Some folks are allergic to PG, and others get symptoms like cramping, etc. Glycerine breaks down into glucose. Neither of these is harmful to you, unless you happen to be one who is allergic.

As far as taste, neither has a 'flavor' per se, but they both have a slightly sweet taste and aroma. Very slight. Glycerine tastes a little sweeter to me.

If you choose to go a Glycerine only route, distilled water can be used to thin it, however you should use it very sparingly. Water content will cause your atomizer to work extra hard to heat it to a vapable temperature, shortening it's lifespan. Also, if it's too thin it'll run down into your battery, which also isn't good.

Hope this helps some, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

-Walrus

AnglVapin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2009
Cajunland - Louisiana
I ran across this and was wondering if anyone could make some sense out of it.

I did a search on inhalers, as I am concerned about PG and VG..

"Abstract:

The invention relates to pressurized metered dose inhalers (MDIs) in which all or part of the internal surface is lined with an inert organic coating and which contain a formulation which comprises TA 2005.
Claims:

1. A pressurized metered dose inhaler, comprising a container equipped with a metering valve and containing a pressurized solution aerosol formulation comprising:TA 2005;a hydrofluorocarbon propellant; andat least one cosolvent,wherein said container has an internal surface and all or part of said internal surface is lined with an inert organic coating.

2. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said at least one cosolvent comprises an alcohol.

3. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said at least one cosolvent comprises ethanol.

4. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said hydrofluorocarbon propellant comprises at least one member selected from the group consisting of HFA 227, HFA 134a, and mixtures thereof.

5. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said solution aerosol formulation further comprises:at least one low-volatility component.

6. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 5, wherein said at least one low-volatility component comprises at least one member selected from the group consisting of propylene glycol, glycerol, polyethylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, and mixtures thereof.

7. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 5, which comprises 0.2 to 2% by weight of said at least one low-volatility component.
Description: "

Source & more..... PRESSURISED METERED DOSE INHALERS (MDI) - Patent - pressurized metered dose inhalers in which all or part of the internal surface is lined with an inert organic

Letzin Hale

Moved On
Dec 28, 2008
I ran across this and was wondering if anyone could make some sense out of it.

I did a search on inhalers, as I am concerned about PG and VG..

"Abstract:

The invention relates to pressurized metered dose inhalers (MDIs) in which all or part of the internal surface is lined with an inert organic coating and which contain a formulation which comprises TA 2005.
Claims:

1. A pressurized metered dose inhaler, comprising a container equipped with a metering valve and containing a pressurized solution aerosol formulation comprising:TA 2005;a hydrofluorocarbon propellant; andat least one cosolvent,wherein said container has an internal surface and all or part of said internal surface is lined with an inert organic coating.

2. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said at least one cosolvent comprises an alcohol.

3. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said at least one cosolvent comprises ethanol.

4. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said hydrofluorocarbon propellant comprises at least one member selected from the group consisting of HFA 227, HFA 134a, and mixtures thereof.

5. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 1, wherein said solution aerosol formulation further comprises:at least one low-volatility component.

6. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 5, wherein said at least one low-volatility component comprises at least one member selected from the group consisting of propylene glycol, glycerol, polyethylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, and mixtures thereof.

7. The pressurized metered dose inhaler of claim 5, which comprises 0.2 to 2% by weight of said at least one low-volatility component.
Description: "

Source & more..... PRESSURISED METERED DOSE INHALERS (MDI) - Patent - pressurized metered dose inhalers in which all or part of the internal surface is lined with an inert organic

It's just a patent description for an inhaler design that would be used for treating conditions such as asthma. The PG reference is coincidental and there is no connection with vaping as we know it.
Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread