FDA Godshall meets with White House OMB/OIRA again urging rejection of FDA deeming ban on vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Smokefree Pennsylvania’s Bill Godshall meets with White House OMB/OIRA November 30, 2015 urging rejection of FDA deeming ban

Meeting Outline

The FDA has failed miserably on both sides of their cost/benefit analysis of deeming’s impact on vapor products. FDA failed to quantify ANY benefit of banning the products, and FDA have either not quantified at all, or dramatically under counted on the cost side as well as their assessment of impacts on small businesses.

1.FDA admits that "this proposed rule would have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities" (page 6)

2."we cannot predict the size of these benefits (of deeming) at this time" (page 7)

3.But at no time do they consider the possibility that restricting access through regulation would cause harm to the public. So the benefit would actually be negative.

4.The FDA does allow that not regulating new products like e-cigarettes "may induce people to switch to products that FDA does not regulate at all or with the same stringency"(page11) - In the case of people switching from cigarettes to ENDS, this would improve public health - so not regulating would convey a benefit and the proposed rule would convey a harm. This is not considered in the cost benefit analysis.

5.In the RIA Benefit Analysis, FDA anticipates that “the largest benefit of the proposed provisions would be the improvements in health and life expectancy resulting from reductions in the use of combustible tobacco products deemed under this proposed rule” (page 13) But those benefits will be reduced by the rule’s application to electronic cigarettes which are not combustible tobacco products, and provide a safer alternative.

6. There is no discussion of ENDS during the analysis of welfare gains, expected life years saved, or reduced mortality (other than the final statement “The effect of other tobacco products on morbidity may differ.”)

7.In section 2(b) of the RIA, “Electronic Cigarettes and Other Non-combustible, Novel Tobacco Products” – FDA states it plainly. “The benefits of including electronic cigarettes in this proposed rule are unknown and therefore cannot be quantified.”(page19)

8.The proposed rule goes on to evaluate possible relative health effects of ENDS on health and welfare, and conclude that: If electronic cigarettes are safer (as most literature shows clearly) and if they are substitutes for smoking (again, all data points this way), then there would be positive health and welfare effects from increasing consumption of electronic cigarettes (Table 12, page 20).

9.The following paragraph, FDA admits that deeming would likely require premarket application, which would limit products from coming to market, and would require warnings that would serve as a negative signal to consumers and possibly discourage use. These two bullets alone show that the rule could harm public health and welfare, and that the rule would be the direct cause.

10.The FDA’s cost analysis does NOT estimate number of manufacturers or importers affected. They do not include any data on establishments that sell e-cigarettes. They do not estimate the costs for e-cig manufacturers or importers. They do not quantify the costs for adulteration and misbranding, they do not quantify the costs for restricting free samples, they do not estimate the costs for advertising restrictions on e-cigs, and they do not know the benefits of: registration and product listing; ingredient listing, labeling requirements or warning label requirements. In fact, they fail to count 6 of the 10 categories of costs, and fail to identify ANY benefit from deeming E-cigs! (Table 36, page 51)

11.They estimate that “Considerable product consolidation and exit (from the market entirely) would occur…”(page 27) and they estimate that 50 (TOTAL) electronic cigarette product applications would be submitted in the first two years, and 15 products over the next 18 years! (Table 21. Page 36). That is 65 total products over 20 years, including e-liquid flavors, mods, attys, wicks, coils, and every other product that is part of vaping.

FDA product and cost estimates of deeming reg/ban not even close
- 1,675 products - - - in reality, millions of different vapor products
- 25 PMTAs in 2017, (which is >98.5% ban) - - - in reality, >99.9% ban)
- $333,554/PMTA - - - in reality, >$20 Million/PMTA
- only Altria, Reynolds, Imperial, BAT, PMI, JTI, perhaps NJOY and/or several other companies will be able to submit PMTAs

Real costs to vapor industry never considered by FDA
- >99.9% of products banned
- 10,000 vapor companies destroyed, to be replaced by FDA created cartel of <10 (probably <5) large companies selling <20 (probably <10) closed system vapor products
- >50,000 jobs lost

FDA also failed to consider costs of deeming reg ban on pipe tobacco and shisha/hookah, and decimation of small cigar companies

Real costs to consumers never considered by FDA
- vapers will either switch back to cigarettes, switch to FDA approved products, or buy from newly created black/gray markets
- consumer costs to switch back to cigarettes or FDA approved products,
- healthcare and productivity costs to switch back to cigarettes,
- health and safety risks/costs for buying products from black markets,

Real government costs never considered by FDA
- Healthcare costs for vapers who switch back to cigarettes (now $15/pack, of which $11 is paid by governments)
- Enforcement of e-cig ban beginning 24 months after final rule issuance

Deeming ban's economic benefits for Big Pharma and Big Tobacco (twice for the latter if PMTA is approved) never considered by FDA

FDA failed to consider any alternative regulatory scheme since announcing intent on April 25, 2011 (deadline of FDA’s Writ of Certiori to appeal 1st e-cig ban to SCOTUS); FDA just switched from Prohibition Plan A to Plan B
- Same as FDA’s Option 2 for premium cigars
- Congressionally mandated picture warnings on cigarette packs
- Process 3,000+ Congressionally mandated SE reports filed in 2011

Give Charts/Graphs showing

Public Health England (95% less harmful - - - in reality, 99% less harmful)

New CDC chart US adult smoking rate at 14.9% (35.5 million) in 2015 (down from 43.8 million in 2011)

CDC chart finding 9 million US adult vapers in 2014 (NHIS),
Cigarette smokers 40X more likely to vape than never smokers, and
Recent former smokers 55X more likely

Rodu chart of 2011-2014 NYTS found sharp decline in cigarette smoking, sharp increase in vaping among teen smokers.

New UK survey table found 0% of never smoking teens regularly (weekly) use an e-cig

Tax Burden on Tobacco chart/data - Cigarette consumption continues declining since 2010 (tax year) largely due to skyrocketing vaping

Bonne Herzog chart - vapor product sales sharply increased ($2.5B in 2014, $3.5B in 2015);

Open tanks and e-liquid slightly more $$ than cigalikes, but 2-3X more vapor consumption than cigalikes

Euromonitor data charts (US $2.8B in 2014), 44% of $6.5B worldwide market

Our 2013 White House Petition urging them to not let FDA ban e-cigs, Mitch Zeller’s response falsely claiming deeming won’t ban e-cigs

Give them 110 page 2014 FDA deeming regulation comment (analyzing impacts of deeming regulation, analyzing scientific and empirical evidence, exposing false fear mongering claims by DHHS since 2009).

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Per my outline above, I met with OMB/OIRA staff on Monday, delineating many reasons why they should reject FDA's final rule to ban vapor products.

Nearly two years ago I met with OMB/OIRA urging them to reject FDA's proposed deeming ban, and two staffers who attended that meeting also attended my meeting on Monday.

I detailed many reasons why they should send the deeming ban back to FDA, and I provided them with updated consumption/prevalence of cigarettes/vapor products and cost/benefit data and information.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks Bill!!

All bad but a total 'blank out' (ignoring) on #10 - stuff that decimates the current market - not worthy of comment??? :facepalm: This might be understood if it was 2009, but at this point in time with all that has been published, it appears to be a total absence of any care for the public health of which they proclaim to be their raison d'être.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Did you get any impression they could send it back for reworking?
That's been my (our) goal, and that's what I urged them to do many times during our 30-40 minute meeting.

But even if OMB/OIRA sends it back to FDA, that doesn't mean the reg is dead (as OMB/OIRA sent the proposed reg back to FDA in Jan/Feb 2014, but it was subsequently proposed several months later in April).

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Bill, let me join all the others in expressing my appreciation for this and all the other fine work you've done.

Call me naive, but would somebody please explain how the OMB/OIRA can give a passing grade to a proposed regulation which fails to address such things as "number of manufacturers or importers affected . . . data on establishments that sell e-cigarettes . . . [and] the costs for e-cig manufacturers or importers"? In essence, the FDA admits that it has no idea how or the extent to which this proposed regulation will affect the industry, public health, the economy or anything else.

Last edited:

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I wrote my thoughts to the OMB. Do they have the resources and organization to read and filter all the feedback they get? Do they have the authority to meaningfully interfere with new rules if they think that's warranted?
They have over 500 employees. And yes, they have the authority by law and executive order 12866.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
maybe after going thru it all, and maybe like a govt. agency, they will feel like flexing their muscles, and kick it back?
They must have the authority to do something meaningful or we might as well schedule a meeting with the next door neighbor lady. I wonder if these regulations are a high water mark of regulatory excess.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
They must have the authority to do something meaningful or we might as well schedule a meeting with the next door neighbor lady. I wonder if these regulations are a high water mark of regulatory excess.
They're right up there with a federal regulation requiring an "F" to be painted on the front of trains so you can tell the front from the rear. Or when our beloved FDA, in loco parentis style, requires that all food vending machines prominently display a calorie count for each product, even though there is no evidence that it will have the slightest effect on people's eating habits. In fact, the evidence shows that it will have no effect. Or last year when the FDA decided that cheese should no longer be aged on wood, even though it's been done that way for thousands of years. They were forced to back off after a massive hue and cry from consumers and the cheese industry.

If you read Executive Order 12866, you will think how wonderful it is that there's a robust mechanism to deal with excessive and burdensome regulation. You'd conclude that there will be strict cost-benefit analysis before regulations are implemented. In actual practice, however, it hasn't happened. Look at this:

bg-red-tape-rising-2015-chart-2.ashx

I wish I could be optimistic, but curtailing excessive regulation wasn't a big priority for the previous administration, it's even less of a priority for the current administration, and so it's not a priority for the OMB which is ultimately answerable only to the president. I've learned that only 10% of the OMB staff actually reviews proposed regulations to determine if they're appropriate and supported by adequate evidence. Bureaucrats merely chant WE MUST SAVE THE CHEEEELDRIN, all rational opposition is brushed aside and the potential for economic harm and diminished personal liberty are ignored.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Thank you Bill. I have signed every petition I can for this. I am also well stocked for at least 5 years.
All fine and good, except for the fact that signing petitions is the least effective thing you can do. I do hope you also talked, wrote, or at least emailed you congressperson to support HR 2058, and gave your testimonial to CASAA for when they give their presentation to the OMB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread