FDA Godshall urges FDA to withdraw proposal to ban truthful claims for smokefree vapor and tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Bill Godshall and Smokefree Pennsylvania submitted a lengthy (150+ pages) comment to FDA today (first several pages below) urging the agency to withdraw its proposal to ban vapor and smokeless tobacco companies from making truthful comparisons of their products to exponentially more harmful cigarettes.

The text of the FDA disasterous proposal is at
Federal Register | Clarification of When Products Made or Derived From Tobacco Are Regulated as Drugs, Devices, or Combination Products; Amendments to Regulations Regarding “Intended Uses”

But to submit a comment (note deadline at 12:50PM Eastern US time), go to, and click on COMMENT NOW (since the comment period was extended to Dec 30)
Regulations.gov

- - - - -

Food and Drug Administration

Docket No. FDA-2015-N-2002-0008

December 30, 2015

Comments by

William T. Godshall, MPH
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
BillGodshall@verizon.net

on

Clarification of When Products Made or Derived From tobacco Are Regulated as Drugs, devices, or Combination Products; Amendments to Regulations Regarding “Intended Uses”

This disgraceful proposal should be withdrawn because it would allow FDA bureaucrats to continue protecting cigarette markets by denying the 1st Amendment rights nicotine vapor and smokeless tobacco product manufacturers to make thruthful commercial claims that compare their far lower risk alternatives to highly addictive and deadly cigarettes.

This proposal would allow FDA to continue commiting public health malpractice (i.e. its 7 year old unscientific, unethical and inhumane War on Vaping) by redefining “smoking”, “tobacco use” or even “vaping” as diseases and/or disorders to deceitfully prohibit vapor product and smokeless tobacco companies from truthfully informing consumers that millions of smokers have quit smoking and/or sharply reduced their cigarette consumption by switching to vapor products or smokeless tobacco products, and/or that their smokefree alternatives are intended to be used, or can be used as a substitute for cigarettes.

This proposal also appears to expand FDA’s definition of banned “therapeutic claims” to include truthful claims by vapor and smokeless tobacco product manufacturers related to the “prevention” of smoking attributable diseases that has occurred for millions of smokers who switched to exponentially less harmful vapor or smokeless tobacco productss tobacco products and vapor products.

This proposal would allow the FDA to ban virtually all truthful marketing claims for low risk vapor and smokeless tobacco products simply because some FDA bureaucrat interprets a truthful product claim as “intended for use in the . . . prevention of disease” or “intended to affect the structure or any function of the body in any way that is different from effects of nicotine that were commonly and legally claimed in the marketing of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products prior to March 21, 2000.”

This proposal also would allow FDA bureaucrats to contravene the provision in Judge Richard Leon’s 1/14/2010 ruling striking down FDA’s 2009 e-cig ban as unlawful, and stating FDA can regulate an e-cigarette as a drug or device only if the manufacturer makes a “therapeutic claim” about their product.
https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2009cv0771-54

This proposal by FDA is strikingly similar to warning letters FDA sent on 9/8/2010 to five e-cigarette companies and a trade group alleging that dozens of truthful marketing claims made by those companies (urging smokers to try or switch to their alternative product) and even posted research studies and news stories violated the FDCA in conflict with Judge Leon’s ruling (since smoking isn’t a disease, and since just one of the dozens of FDA alleged violations could be considered a “therapeutic claim” to treat the disorder of “tobacco dependence”).
FDA acts against 5 electronic cigarette distributors
Johnson Creek Enterprises, LLC 9/8/10 (Johnson Creek)
Gamucci 9/8/10 (Gamucci)
E-CigaretteDirect, LLC 9/8/10 (E-CigaretteDirect)
Ruyan America, Inc. 9/8/10 (Ruyan America)
E-Cig Technology Inc. (E-Cig Technology Inc)
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/UCM225263.pdf (Electronic Cigarette Association)

But the growing mountain of scientific and empirical evidence (detailed in these comments) consistently indicates that nicotine vapor products (aka e-cigarettes):
- are 99% (+/-1%) less harmful than cigarettes,
- are consumed almost exclusively (i.e. >99%) by smokers and exsmokers who switched to vaping,
- have helped several million smokers quit smoking and have helped several million additional smokers sharply reduce cigarette consumption,
- have replaced about 5 Billion packs of cigarettes worldwide in the past five years,
- are more effective than FDA approved nicotine gums, lozenges, patches and inhalers for smoking cessation and reducing cigarette consumption,
- pose fewer risks than FDA approved Verenicline (Chantix),
- have not been found to cause any disease or disorders in users,
- pose no health risks to nonusers,
- have further denormalized cigarette smoking,
- have never been found to create nicotine dependence in any nonsmoker,
- have never been found to precede cigarette smoking in any daily smoker.

Accordingly, the FDA should withdraw this proposal, and the FDA and all other DHHS agencies should correct, clarify and apologize to vapers, smokers and the public for knowingly and intentionally misrepresenting the scientific and empirical evidence on e-cigarettes since 2009, for continuously confusing and scaring the public about e-cigs, for unlawfully banning e-cigs in 2009, for funding and encouraging hundreds of others to demonize and ban vaping, for misrepresenting the disasterous public health impact of this proposed regulation as well as the FDA’s Deeming Regulation, which would ban the sale of >99.9% of nicotine vapor products.

- - -

Note that the additional 150+ pages of comments were the same as the ones I submitted to FDA in June, 2015 evaluating virtually every study on vapor products and vaping, and exposing hundreds of false and misleading claims about vaping by Obama's FDA, many other DHHS agencies, and by many DHHS funding recipients.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Good job Bill!

As it is written, the comments by FDA's Zeller at the HELP hearing: “If we could get all of those people (smokers) to completely switch all of their cigarettes to noncombustible cigarettes, it would be good for public health.”

could be used by the FDA in their "“any . . . relevant source,” including but not limited to the product’s labeling, promotional claims, and advertising" view. If a vendor would quote Zeller as above - they could be in trouble. :facepalm:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Is there a link available for the other 150 pages?

Why has there been so little attention paid to the cost difference between vaping and smoking. I started bringing it up because nobody else was. In particular saving thousands of dollars a year helps low income families a lot. I find it interesting that HUD is not proposing to ban vaping in it's public housing. Perhaps they are aware of the economic advantages of vaping over smokiing?

Reactions: inspects

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Is there a link available for the other 150 pages?

Why has there been so little attention paid to the cost difference between vaping and smoking. I started bringing it up because nobody else was. In particular saving thousands of dollars a year helps low income families a lot. I find it interesting that HUD is not proposing to ban vaping in it's public housing. Perhaps they are aware of the economic advantages of vaping over smokiing?

Actually they are -- there was a post about that not too long ago.

I try not to harp on the cost difference too much, because sure as shootin, the feds are going to "rectify" that just as soon as they possibly can.

Andria

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Actually they are -- there was a post about that not too long ago.

I try not to harp on the cost difference too much, because sure as shootin, the feds are going to "rectify" that just as soon as they possibly can.

Andria
I wonder why it is that the first rule of politics is never discuss the real issue. When I talk to smokers about switching the thing that gets their attention is the possibility of eliminating the cost of cigarettes. Oops but I can't talk about that because...?

This Christmas I caught up with my brother who I started vaping last Christmas. He still uses the N mini and iStick 20 he started with and still buys 120 ml bottles of liquid on line. He vapes 2 ml per day with 12 mg nic and replaces the coil head about once a month. His cost for the year is about $200 including the cost of the gear I bought him. He's got a teen age daughter headed for college so that money helps.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I wonder why it is that the first rule of politics is never discuss the real issue. When I talk to smokers about switching the thing that gets their attention is the possibility of eliminating the cost of cigarettes. Oops but I can't talk about that because...?

This Christmas I caught up with my brother who I started vaping last Christmas. He still uses the N mini and iStick 20 he started with and still buys 120 ml bottles of liquid on line. He vapes 2 ml per day with 12 mg nic and replaces the coil head about once a month. His cost for the year is about $200 including the cost of the gear I bought him. He's got a teen age daughter headed for college so that money helps.

I agree that it's a good hook to get smokers interested, but my fear is that the cost-savings won't endure, now that gov't is getting into it. It still might be slightly less costly than smoking, or it might even end up costing more, since they want to discourage it. I'm just afraid to push the economy angle too hard, just because that might not endure for much longer, and then the person might get mad at *me* for getting them into something that ends up costing more than cigarettes. There certainly are other terrific benefits, not least the health angle, but right now, the BIGGEST difference is the cost savings... and that might be going away. :(

Andria

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
There certainly are other terrific benefits, not least the health angle, but right now, the BIGGEST difference is the cost savings... and that might be going away. :(
You're absolutely right Andria.
I have always said the only thing Wild,Wild West about the vaping industry is all the
Free Range money roaming all over the prairie.
Regards
Mike

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Well Bill, I read the entire 154 pages and followed a few of the links. One thing it taught me is if you made a documentary about this it would be a lot like the movie Ground Hog Day. I was impressed by how many studies have been done and the overwhelming majority are positive about vaping. (Is vaping a mere invention or should we be calling a discovery, a gift of nature?)

On page 114 there is a link to a study finding that vapers absorb 96% of the nic they inhale. It's hard to believe that's really true but if it's any where near correct then the nic we vape is comparable to the nic we smoked. That's relevent to setting goals for how much to vape and for how to stockpile. Do you know of an alternate place where that study might be available?

It was good to see that someone studied the success of vape shops converting smokers. The success rate observed is around what I was guessing. It was also interesting to read that dual users typically go from 20+ cigs a day to 4-5. That was my experience and the same with my brother. I stopped cigs after 6 weeks and he stpped after 10 months. Over christmas I used some free time to visit a few vape shops and what the clerks told me is they are serving regulars and not starting many newbies these days. A year ago there were hoards of newbies. I wonder what's up with that? May be my unscientific sampling can't be extrapolated.

It was a monumental task to create that document that I'm sure is a resource for the people for us and against us.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
FDA has determined that the electronic cigarette products addressed in the warning letters to the distributors, and similar products, are subject to FDA regulation as drugs. Under the FDCA, a company cannot claim that its drug can treat or mitigate a disease, such as nicotine addiction, unless the drug’s safety and effectiveness have been proven. Yet all five companies claim without FDA review of relevant evidence that the products help users quit smoking cigarettes.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm225224.htm

Fine, change up marketing wording.
These products may help you quit smoking according to anecdotes by previous users. I can offer you a list of previous user you may meet and discuss the issue.

I would think at that point it becomes friendly advice from private parties, and not marketing. The distributor is not claiming anything more than, "well it may help". If the customer wants more information, they got a list of private parties to ask. They want to use loopholes to noose folks, slip through loopholes by using care in wording.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Here is the 150 page document embedded in the forum post to encourage more people to take a look. I was aware of most of the issues raised but some of it is new and it helps to have a link to an actual study so you know it's more than speculation. Also there is a LOT of research on vaping and it's overwhelmingly positive so the people who say 'we don't know anything yet' are in denial or, more likely, just plain liars.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I don't know if the intended targets are reading these papers, but I did and found them amazing and brilliant... and all the more concerning if this level of error and malice can be generalized over all government actions.

(There is a spelling error in the first paragraph of the copy in the first post however: "thruthful".)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread