Going to Brazil.... Just found out E-Cigs are ilegal in there.... Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
Well... because of that stupid FDA "study" ANVISA (the equivalent to the FDA) banned e-cigs in Brasil :mad:
I am not completely sure of the legislation, but the propaganda is absolutely absurd - to a point to advertise that it is illegal here too, and all due to the FDA findings. It also says that e-cigs are as bad or worst than cigarettes for one's health, and that there is absolutely no studies showing that it helps in anyway smokers to kick the habit.
I am FURIOUS.
I know sales are banned, importing is banned, but I am not sure of what the implications of using it are. I am not sure either if I risk having my e-cig taking away from me if my luggage gets inspected (never did, but you know how Murphy's law goes...)
SO frustrating - why instead of vaping my TWO darn chemicals now I might be forced to smoke thousands? UURRRGHHH!:mad::mad::mad::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Bluemoonjo

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
Missouri
Smoking cigarettes is very frowned upon there. I never saw anyone smoking while there. I went before I started vaping and just didn't smoke while I was there. (patches) It's also bad to drink straight out of the soda cans...but after seeing how dirty they are there you wouldn't want to anyways. lol Oh and another no no, do not touch your food with your fingers.
But besides that the food is AWESOME!

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
Smoking cigarettes is very frowned upon there. I never saw anyone smoking while there. I went before I started vaping and just didn't smoke while I was there. (patches) It's also bad to drink straight out of the soda cans...but after seeing how dirty they are there you wouldn't want to anyways. lol Oh and another no no, do not touch your food with your fingers.
But besides that the food is AWESOME!
LOL... you might want to know that I am from Brazil... so.... I rather keep this light/focused on the e-cig ban as opposed of trashing my country.... ;)
But, I feel I have to address a couple of your comments: I was always a smoker in there and IMHO it is not in any way shape or form any more frowned upon than smoking in here. In there, in any home I go, I am offered an ashtray, and in most cities you can still smoke inside of restaurants and bars.
I never got sick in there due to food/soda cans and the like, and I lived most of my life in Brazil.... so... I am comfortable not only drinking sodas out of the cans, but the beer is delicious too!
But anyways, what is pissing me off here, is the ignorance about the e-cigs, specially because nothing at all, no studies were conducted in there.... and we all know that the FDA "study" well... was less than scientific to say the least to base a country-wide ban.
I am afraid of having my supplies taken away and being forced to smoke again - THAT pisses me off. The rest.... no, I am 100% looking forward to it....... At least cigarettes are cheap there, I guess... oh well....

Last edited:

Pamdane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2011
Cleveland area, Ohio
If it were me, I would take it in pieces with similar items- batteries in make up cases near the mirror, or in a baggie with other rechargeable batteries. Take your juice as carry on in a bottle marked shampoo or such. Have tooth brush and tooth paste with it. Don't put pieces alone- it is more suspicious. have back ups. Maybe mail a PV to your base location.

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
Why couldn't you put some stuff in your pockets or do they check you also? In a purse even or a hipsack (those little carry pouches that go around you like a belt).
Hi Hairball, it all depends.... Even though I have gone many many times, I have never had my luggage inspected by customs... If they do inspect it, they might search. I am not completely sure. This time I am going with a large box and I might not be able to go through the "nothing to declare" lane....
If they have no regulations against personal use, I might be fine.... I can't find anything about that - fines, using, or the like. Just about buying, selling and Importing (since the majority comes from China (to their market, anyways)). It clearly states a nationwide ban and that e-cigs are illegal in Brazil.... Now what that means exactly.... I am not sure.
I am checking some juice with my bath stuff, the rest will go with me on my carry on/personal luggage.

Last edited:

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
If it were me, I would take it in pieces with similar items- batteries in make up cases near the mirror, or in a baggie with other rechargeable batteries. Take your juice as carry on in a bottle marked shampoo or such. Have tooth brush and tooth paste with it. Don't put pieces alone- it is more suspicious. have back ups. Maybe mail a PV to your base location.

That's is an excellent idea! I can't mail it in at it will risk going through customs, BUT, maybe I can put one set in my luggage and another in my carry on.... I will definitely take my juices as you say.....

Bluemoonjo

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
Missouri
I'm sorry!
Ohhh no I loved Brazil, it was awesome. I sure wouldn't trash it. Im just not very good getting my thoughts across in writting. I was only there for two weeks. I did what my host family wished. I guess their views weren't that of everyone but they sure acted like it was taboo. I got in trouble for touching my fries. Got in trouble for the soda thing to. I just wished someone had told be that before I went, so was sharing it.
I'd love to go back but the family we know moved to the US.

Last edited:

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
Yep, hide in plain sight. Unmarked bottles of juice in with the toiletries, ( if you have a laptop or brief case ) pen style batts
mixed in with some actual pens, atties/cartos in a small container with some bits and bobs like erasures or pen refills.
Or, if you have a mod, you could disassemble it and put the parts in with other gadgets like ipod or camera.

Dun, dun, dun, dun..doododo...doododo.. * insert mission impossible music * :)

illillillillilli

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
Cabot, Arkansas, United States
Ok, maybe just maybe. Just slightly being funny, but slightly being serious, so crazy that it might just work.... Gut out a "personal massager". Sure you might be a lil bit embarassed, but hey, you know what it's for, and I dont think they'd investigate that much further.
Also, I've seen in head shops, stuff that looks real but is gutted out to hide money, valuables or even "the stash". But I'm not sure if any would be big enough to hold a pv.
Hidden Safe | Can Safes | Fake Hidden Safes | Secret Money Safe
Here are examples of what is out there.

I like vapndrgn's idea too (#9). The best way to send a gun through the mail is to disassemble it and send it out in pieces.

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
Ok, going to bed, but before wanted to post this:
Personal use is fine - it is not illegal to USE an electronic cigarette, thus, it cannot be taken away from you on the streets, there are no fines, and you certainly are not going to jail. It is not considered a drug.
ALL trade/commerce is banned. Importing is banned - because as I said, these products are not produced in there.
What I found out (from a site that actually sells to Brasilians:laugh:), is that the chances of having my kit taken away from me is very slim as most of people in Brazil, including in customs do not know about e-cigarettes - even if you tell them. But to pack discretely (unmarked bottles for example).
As for smuggling - I am not.... This is not a drug - there will be no fines/jail. It can be taken away as they can think I will SELL. Aside from that no consequences - that alone would suck and is precisely what concerns me though.

I found one thing these people told me interesting: "purchasing for personal consumption is now ok"....
This is one site that sells to users in Brazil, and there is a big one in Portugal that also sells to Brazilian users, and even guarantees delivery.
Weird. Not sure how there is a nationwide law for all trade/commerce and ban, but buying for personal use is ok.... :confused:
Well... I am glad to hear that at least on the streets/in public I am going to be fine - seems to me that if I do the toiletry/electronic trick at customs I will be fine too.....
No doubt I plan to take it - I just want to make sure it is going to get there on my hands and not theirs LOL

Last edited:

nomadman

Jul 30, 2011
Guam
Good job on doing your homework. I lived in many countries and usually there are steep fines associated with smuggling things into the country that have been banned. I guess Brazil, in this case, is an exception. Though if it was me I would contact customs to confirm this. I have seen people fined several hundred dollars for bringing in fruit to New Zealand.

In regards to me using the term "smuggling", I hope I did not offend you. I was referring to the act of bringing goods into a country illegally... note that "goods" means anything that is illegal to import, such as fruit, meat, people etc. not just drugs :)

Last edited:

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
No, you didn't offend me by any means... But since personal use is nort a crime, just selling (as in commerce/trade), and there are no fines attached to it, imho that's not the best terminology... Sneaking it in fits better I guess- their fear is having people bring in to sell- not so much to use...
Yes, people would be considered smuggling/trafficking.... There is a reason to not bring in unprocessed food/fruits, seed, etc. That is the same in a lot of countries. There is also a difference in bringing, for example, a pound a coffee and 50lbs. One is for personal consumption and you will not be fined - the other, you will have a hard time explaining what you are doing with.... Smuggling is a strong word.... That is usually used for trafficking, drugs, etc. otherwise, Customs will take it from you. I will not take a litter of juice, of course, nor a whole bunch of batteries, nothing that would indicate commerce..... And most of all, they are all used. It would be much more trouble if they were on original package, sealed, and ready to be sold.
Let's see what happens.... I can only take it and hope for the best.... At least now I am not worried about using it in public.....

Last edited:

CCarolina

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas
Quick update - I had an AMAZING trip to Brazil!!! Just got back a couple of days ago :)
No problem whatsoever vaping over there - In fact, I vaped all the way there int the plane :2cool:
I was lucky enough to sit next to a pilot on my flight from Dallas to Miami, and stroke a conversation with him about e-cigs and vaping onboard. I showed him my kit and asked why it was ilegal to vape inside of the plane - his answer was because of the smoke: passengers would see the smoke and perceive that as though someone was smoking in the plane. Because of that, it is too confusing for the crew to control who is smoking, who is not, and to explain to the passengers what is a cigarette and what is not - so they put a blanket ban over all smoking, e-cigs included. He said it is kind of the same thing that happens with the electronics at take off and landing - only some interfere with the plane computer system, not all, but it would be messy, so they go ahead and just ban everything.
However, here is what he did say: " I have seen people vaping where there is no smoking coming out..... nobody would know when the lights are out"..... And: The vapor will not trigger the alarm in the bathroom as they are triggered by heat (I did not try this, but that's what he said). He also said the batteries do NOT interfere with the flight computers/avionics. Anyways, needless to say, I vaped my way to Brazil :lol:
In Brazil, I vaped everywhere - started in the baggage claim, and didn't stop - shopping malls, parties, homes, stores, restaurants, libraries, you name it, I vaped.
There, smoking is perceived more by the smell of it than anything, maybe because that's what they care about it.....
The thing is, EVERYONE wants it now - I have cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, I mean - tons of smokers that just flipped for it! Two of my cousins are doctors and they just loooooved it!
Anyways, now I am getting busy getting some stuff over there - my pet project - save your fella smokers! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread