Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
The make and model of the battery is fine, but I'd not recommend buying your batteries there. There are a lot of issues with counterfeit batteries and I don't know how reliable they are. Additionally, they're not providing accurate information. The VTC 4 is a 20/23 A battery, and they're claiming it's 30 A.

It's best to get one of the batteries recommended on this chart from one of the vendors listed at the bottom:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

The vendors on the chart have been found to be reliable - they have good supply chains and check for counterfeits. Some get through occasionally, but they do something about it when it happens.

About your needs, 20 A batteries tend to be popular for offering the best mix of capacity (how long a charge lasts) and power (enough for vaping). With a single 20 A battery in your Pico you can go up to 50 - 55 W, which is probably far more than you'll be needing at those resistances. That means you have some choices with more capacity than the VTC 4. These are about 20 A and offer 3000 mah (the highest capacity you can get at 20 A):
  • Samsung 30Q
  • LG HG2
  • Sony VTC 6
Good luck finding what you need.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
$8.59 Authentic Sony US18650VTC4 3.6V 2100mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (2-Piece) - test capacity 2079.2mAh at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Is this a good relatively safe battery for use in an Istick Pico 75 Watt? I'm not going to use it for subohm if that makes any difference. Normally use 1.2 or 1.5 ohm in a Kanger Subtank mini.

That is a Good Battery. Although, if you are in the USA, I wouldn't suggest buying it from FT.

Here's the Deal...

On a Regulated Mod like your Pico, the Ohms of your atomizer Doesn't Effect the Amps that the Battery needs to provide. It's the Watts you set you Mod at and the Voltage the Battery currently has.

Max Amp Draw for a Regulated Mod is when the Wattage is set to the Highest and the Battery is at its Lowest Voltage (right before the Mod shuts down).

So for you, this would be at 75W and around 3.6 Battery Volts. For a Mod with 90% Efficiency this would be about 23 Amps. So you would Need a Battery that has a CDR of 25 Amps or Higher.

Battery drain

But... To get such a High Battery CDR, you are going to have to Sacrifice Battery Life, mAh.

Now if you Kept the Wattage under 60 Watts, the Max Amp Draw would be about 18.5 Amps. And you could use a 20 Amp Battery like the one below. And have Much Better Battery Life.

LG HG2 18650 3000mAh 20A Flat Top Battery

Not sure what the Maximum Wattage you want to run your Pico at? But for someone who Never goes above 60w, they can a 20A CDR Battery which will Last a Lot Longer than those Sony's you linked to.

Last Thing. Only buy Batteries from Trusted Sources. And I would NEVER buy an e-Cigarette Battery from someplace like e-Bay or Amazon.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Thanks.....Probably go with the LG HG2 like the one below.

Not planning on buying them from Fasttech as it would take weeks to get. Local Vape shop has the Sony and the LG and I am certain they are selling genuine batteries. $12 for the LG but no problem, no wait.

Usually run bellow 20 watts.

Reactions: Hawise

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Good information here already. For a 1 to 2 ohm vaper at relatively low wattage the Pico 75W will generally get longer life from a battery with high MAH. If you plan to push the Pico to higher wattage (50 to 75 watts), then you need to look for a combination of higher MAH and higher amperage rating.

A good parallel comparison is horsepower (MAH) vs torque (AMPS) in a vehicle. Horsepower gives you pep and quick acceleration and torque gives you pulling power for heavy loads. If you have both, then you can accelerate and also pull a trailer when needed.

I vape at 10W most of the time. At 10W I'm pulling around 4A from my Samsung 30Q or my Sony VTC6. My 3000MAH batteries give me long vape times on a charge.

As Zoidman pointed out, the batteries in your variable mod supply power to the electronics. The electronics supply power in variable mode to the atomizer coil. The mod will choose how it uses the power from the battery to create variable output as needed. You just have to pick a battery that can supply power for the max load the electronics can handle. The battery with the highest MAH rating that also has the current rating needed to run the mod is what you need.

Sony VTC6, Samsung 30Q, and LG HG2 are some of the most popular cells here on ECF.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Went with the LG HG2. Picked up one locally from a vape shop and sure it is genuine. Then picked up 3 more from Liion wholesale which were half the price of the local vape shop. Have 4 to rotate. Don't really go over 20 Watts so shouldn't be an issue. Right now only using it at 14 watts

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Went with the LG HG2. Picked up one locally from a vape shop and sure it is genuine. Then picked up 3 more from Liion wholesale which were half the price of the local vape shop. Have 4 to rotate. Don't really go over 20 Watts so shouldn't be an issue. Right now only using it at 14 watts

Vape shops and online vape dealers generally get about $12.95 for an 18650. If you need a battery in a hurry they are the quick option.

RTDVapor and Liion Wholesale sell batteries competitively to vapers, LED flashlight enthusiasts, and anyone else who needs lithium batteries. You'll get good prices and fresh product and several dollars off the price of vape shop batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Wolf

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I paid $12 dollars at the vape shop for 1 battery but that was ok for walk out the door no wait. I only paid $5.64 each from Liion plus shipping. So around $20 for 3, great deal

I think the price difference between vape shops and battery wholesalers is due to quantity buying. Vape shops carry small amounts of everything and don't get the cheapest pricing when they order stock.

I've done the same thing. My first 18650 mods came from the local vape shop and I bought what they were selling at the time for a higher price. Then I discovered RTDVapor, Liion Wholesale, and Illumn with half the price for quality high end batteries.

Reactions: David Wolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread