Good morning everybody . I'm new and researching ,first mech / build......

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I'll go for Kanthal simpe builds , but if I have the time I will make up my ming on twisting and tryin some configurations..
I mean the wire is long.. and it's likely that the wire and other things are coming sooner my way .

My buddy is also likely to give me some stuff .. he yet wanted e propped to when I said him I'm gonna buy one mech for me .

Yep, get a few big spools of varying gauges and you'll have enough to experiment for years. Twisting wire can be done with a pen, pliers and some hand cramping. Never cared for the vape from twisted, though.

bood

Sep 16, 2017
I'm leaning towards buying an authentic (branded) atomizer
I would be unhappy in receiving a soft metal built one that eventually blows the screw/holes threads to begin with
and other things

And I will live with one for a while , well I hope so :)

That Dejavu atomizer got me hooked, it seems to have it all and a pretty decent style in case I have to show the thing to a woman i.e.
well sure a mech is a big and scary for some women but a catchy atty can make em more confident ..

what you say:pop:

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
MacTechVpr's Tensioned Rebuild Central | E-Cigarette Forum
sub-ohm-vaping-chart-jpg.456989

Good luck. :)

p.s. Great deck/post arrangement on that DejaVu.

Last edited:

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
"Clone" does not necessarily mean "lesser quality". Read reviews into anything before you buy.
Ironically, in over 5 years I have only had 1 issue with a clone mod and a number of issues with comparatively expensive genuine examples. Spending more money in the vaping world does not mean you get a better product. Buy authentics because you want a genuine example, not because you want "higher quality".

bood

Sep 16, 2017
i found some many reviews lamenting bad things on clones , in screws threads wrong loosy orings paint that fade ..
etc

not many really on authentic

the finish of authentics seems overall a tad better,,or noticeably better depending on the clone

I'm speaking generally

I think I'm ok with having an original to begin ; then a II can be a clone , if it is a Goon or a Kenney clone the original will be something else ; these two still seem quite to be the hit among vapers i guess there is some reason

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
A year or two in and you'll have gone thru a slew of clones. Sold off a bunch, got a few peeps vapin in the process and settled in on the real deal that works for you. Don't sweat it. Start out with a good one of either, best you can get. How I started. For clones that means finding a B&M with a good supply chain. That way you'll get a good one cause you got to see it. Might mean spending a few extra but worth it.

A build on my first auth RDA, a GV Trident, and still my main go to for fav tab's…

bood

Sep 16, 2017
A year or two in and you'll have gone thru a slew of clones
likely
fact is I would buy 3 or 4 of them now yet.. little beautiful things .

I'm quite finished with my base research and choice

If I'm not changing my mind in the next 24h I will place an order to get a TRINITY US1 mod , and an SXK KENNEDY 24mm -may be 25mm ( as to match the Trinity US1 mod )
Trinity-Glass-US1-Mod-2T.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

and 2 tips ( 1 black and 1 short and wide ultem/transparent , therefor the image I posted as it should result more or less like this aesthetically )
I would like to get this exotic tip too 810 11mm Gold Acrylic Wide Bore Drip Tip for Goon / Kennedy / Battle
but sold out at moment

The Kennedy I get is a clone in the end , but SXK seems to be one if not the most reliable 1:1 quality built producer , and I coudlnt find 1 bad review for this producer on the web .

Last edited:

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
likely
fact is I would buy 3 or 4 of them now yet.. little beautiful things .

I'm quite finished with my base research and choice

If I'm not changing my mind in the next 24h I will place an order to get a TRINITY US1 mod , and an SXK KENNEDY 24mm -may be 25mm ( as to match the Trinity US1 mod )
Trinity-Glass-US1-Mod-2T.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

and 2 tips ( 1 black and 1 short and wide ultem/transparent , therefor the image I posted as it should result more or less like this aesthetically )
I would like to get this exotic tip too 810 11mm Gold Acrylic Wide Bore Drip Tip for Goon / Kennedy / Battle
but sold out at moment

The Kennedy I get is a clone in the end , but SXK seems to be one if not the most reliable 1:1 quality built producer , and I coudlnt find 1 bad review for this producer on the web .
Something to keep in mind with the Kennedy is the location of airflow. I fumbled through my first few rdas and finally happened across a "cheap" three post, 22mm authentic Kennedy. So excited because of what I'd heard but really wasn't ready for it. I am fairly active with my mods, and leaked much juice through the air tubes. Kept it for more relaxing times until I really learned "juice control" in my RDAs.

Bood, thanks for asking your questions... I have my vtc5a's, my first mech is pre-ordered (the Pulse Squonk Mod) and I have both the Pulse 24 and a Dead Rabbit as RDA's. I will also be using Smok's Big Baby RBA as soon as it arrives too. I already built on the BF24 and used it on my regulated TPriv- but mech really does call for this research. Like you I was leaning toward 316L for wire but will order a decent kanthal as strongly suggested here. Really appreciate your asking these questions and everyone's replies. Enjoy your new gear Bood.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Bood, thanks for asking your questions... I have my vtc5a's, my first mech is pre-ordered (the Pulse Squonk Mod) and I have both the Pulse 24 and a Dead Rabbit as RDA's. I will also be using Smok's Big Baby RBA as soon as it arrives too. I already built on the BF24 and used it on my regulated TPriv- but mech really does call for this research. Like you I was leaning toward 316L for wire but will order a decent kanthal as strongly suggested here. Really appreciate your asking these questions and everyone's replies. Enjoy your new gear Bood.

Absolutely nothing wrong with SS, and it's no more complicated than kanthal when making simple round coils. The main reasons SS isn't necessarily the best wire to start with is that it has significantly less resistance (so it can be tricky to build with the mass you need at the higher resistances you should start at), and the resistance changes dramatically as it heats. This can be desirable, especially on a mech, but it's a complex variable to introduce to a new builder who will value consistency.

Beyond that, IMO kanthal is still the best wire we have for vaping, assuming you don't require TC. Always glad to see these threads help more than just the original poster.

bood

Sep 16, 2017
thanks for the posts mates .

I want to take the time to give a small update for the moment , nearly everything is in the house and I finally decided to get both the Kennedy RDA and the Dejavu RDTA ; I'm amazed by the quality and the look of these two little objects of divination . They are very little maybe my big hands who knows ; the steel tube gives a good feel in the hand, but this also is not as big as I figured out .

You may have noticed I've not been in a rush lately , it's for the fact I'm very busy ; while I have nearly everything at hands I will stick with my pen ecig for a while more

One two things I may ask , in general , about coils and mech mod builds ;
if I've read and understood well - there are literally hundreds configurations and vape results for them - , on a mech the coils should be pretty simple , I will have to work with 2 coils as for my atomizers , I will need some quite low resistance i.e. 1ohm x 2 for a total of 0.5ohm roughly, or anything over 0.2ohm which is safe for a mech mod- this in order to have a decently short time to produce the vapor, and have the right heat for vaping (?), and I will also have to find the right dimensions and size in coil diameter and n. of wraps in order to provide a decent surface for the cotton contact .

Speaking about mech mods , that is : about one 18650 4.2V battery power :
for what I understand a fast instant 2-3 seconds short good dense vape can be had only with low ohm , and to produce a right amount of vapor and flavour it needs a quite wide surface of contact in this case (?), resulting in quite big diameter (>3mm?) and stil decent number of wraps (n.? depending on diameter)

or did I get something wrong?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
thanks for the posts mates .

I want to take the time to give a small update for the moment , nearly everything is in the house and I finally decided to get both the Kennedy RDA and the Dejavu RDTA ; I'm amazed by the quality and the look of these two little objects of divination . They are very little maybe my big hands who knows ; also the steel tube gives a good feel in hands , but this also is not as big as I figured out .

You may have noticed I've not been in a mech-rush lately , it's for the fact I'm very busy ; while I have nearly everything at hands I will stick with my pen ecig for a while more

One thing I may ask is general , about coils and build ;
if I've read and understood well - there are literally hundreds configurations and vape results for them - , on a mech the coils should be pretty simple , I will have to work with 2 coils as for my atomizers , I will need some quite low resistance i.e. 1ohm x 2 for a total of 0.5ohm rhoughly ( which is safe usage as for battery maximum continuous discharge rate ), this in order to have a decently short time to produce the vapor, and have the right heat for vaping (?), and I will also have to find the right dimensions and size ( coil diameter and n. of wraps ) in order to provide a decent surface for the cotton contact (2.5-3mm? ).

Speaking about mech mods , that is : about one 18650 4.2V battery power :
for what I understand a fast instant 2-3 seconds short good dense vape can be had only with low ohm , and to produce a right amount of vapor and flavour it needs a quite wide surface of contact in this case (?), resulting in quite big diameter (>3mm?) and stil decent number of wraps

or else

Thanks for your input.

Congrats B. What gauge/s wire did you get in? And do you have some common metric drill bits around between say 2.5-3mm? Some metric shank small screwdrivers are good too if the shank's consistent with the fluted bit in dia. The idea is to get VVV…here…VVV and I can walk you through it…

The item in the pic's a pin vise and who knows you may even have one around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread