Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this and if it isn't just let me know but....I have gone through 2 flush cut pliers and needing another set. The first ones were the pliers that I got in the coil master kit. The problem I'm having is after a while of use they tend to get spots on the blades where the edge gets bent and it won't cut in that spot any longer. The first ones were my fault when I first got into coils building cause I ended up snipping the swivel (I used to cut the wire off the swivel before I started just unbending it from the swivel when I'm done wrapping wire for a coil). The second pair I got was from Walmart in the jewelry making section. The metal they are made from doesn't seem to have a good Rockwell hardness rating cause I have had them for 2 months maybe and the cutting edge is all ragged from snipping wires.

My question is can anybody tell me of any good "quality" flush cut pliers that doesn't cost $50-$80? I tried looking them up on google and it's seems all the quality pliers with a good Rockwell rating are super expensive. Thanks for any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: anavidfan

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Reactions: puffon

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
H
I bought my American made pair a couple of years ago.
They used to be made in USA.

Crescent 4 in. Shear-Cutter Plier Set (2-Piece)-S2KS5N - The Home Depot
Good one! Home Depot is a great store. Everyone must shop at home Depot. It is my favorite store as they bought me my free truck. In Canada the person giving away the prize must pay all the taxes. LOL
DSCF0012.JPG

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
When I watch a video of someone trying to demonstrate building a deck or RDTA and they use a toenail clipper I usually click the little X in the corner. If you are using them at home fine but if you want any credibility with me you better be using the right tool for the right job.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
When I watch a video of someone trying to demonstrate building a deck or RDTA and they use a toenail clipper I usually click the little X in the corner. If you are using them at home fine but if you want any credibility with me you better be using the right tool for the right job.
Well, I do understand your hesitation, seeing as how I've seen the bruises, cuts, and busted fingers from using wrenches as hammers or a pocket knife as a screwdriver or wire cutters, but this isn't that. Clippers are a cutting tool, not that they have broad uses or appeal in your tool pouch, but you squeeze and they cut, just like the "right" tool. The ones I use are a very hardened steel with sharp blades and a very flat face, been using them since my Protank recoil days to snip those relatively small wires off as flush as they can be. It isn't as though I'm exposing my hands, fingers, face, or toes to a hazard. I also use cuticle scissors to trim wicks. YMMV and it was only a suggestion of a very viable alternative.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
@Flavored I have no problem at all with you using nail clippers for your work but what I have a serious issue with is seeing them being used when some is demonstrating how to build coils or decks. If someone is making an instructional video then the first thing should be using the right tool for the right job. Many of these people claim to be experts or professionals. Not in my opinion as soon as I see something like that. Alt/F4 or the X in the corner.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
@Flavored I have no problem at all with you using nail clippers for your work but what I have a serious issue with is seeing them being used when some is demonstrating how to build coils or decks. If someone is making an instructional video then the first thing should be using the right tool for the right job. Many of these people claim to be experts or professionals. Not in my opinion as soon as I see something like that. Alt/F4 or the X in the corner.

But, if clippers are the right tool for the job, why shouldn't videos demonstrate their use?

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Why not? If it gets the job done. It's not brain surgery. I have side cutters and nail clippers. I use the side cutters for cutting wire off the spool and nail clippers to trim the excess wire off the build deck. Whatever works best for the person doing the job is the right tool ime. Try it you might like it.

Reactions: Verb

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Guys, I think what @SteveS45 was saying is if he watches YouTube videos on building he would like to see it being done as professional as possible and that's using the right tools for the job. Now if you just a regular Joe at home building and not doing videos, use what works for you. Vaping in general is about whatever works for YOU at that time. Vaping is suggestive so do what works for you. I know personally I like watching YouTube build videos and if I see someone using nail clippers as flush cuts, I don't take them as serious as I would if they were using flush cut pliers. Just my 2 cents. Have a good one guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread