Good starter dripper to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
im looking to purchase a dripper just for at home use,

What's something for a starter to use at a reasonably low cost (just in case I don't enjoy it the way I think I will)

Anytime I ask the question at a shop they point me towards the most expensive rda available. I want something good quality and simple to use but want to stay around $50.00-$60.00

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Authentic Mutations can be had well under your budget and work really well.

I love the V3 but they are getting a little hard to find.

The V4 is sold everywhere but its bottom air and I've had bad luck with bottom air leaking. Not saying the Mut 4 leaks I just don't trust them.
I see. They point me towards the mutation every time. I haven't actually bothered to look into pricing online for it yet, I should have lol.

I have the zephyrus right now and it's anRTA with dual coil bottom airflow so it took me a long time and quite a bit of frustration prior to figuring out how to keep the fluid where it belongs :p

And I hear what you're saying, it's all in how you wick it; bottom air flow just takes a bit of tinkering

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I'm by no means an RDA expert, but I'm going to say that I just picked up a Velocity clone (from Focalecig - fasttech also has them) for about $10, and it's the best freaking $10 (well, my first order was two, and I just ordered 2 more) RDA I have.

Now, with that being said, are you looking for something with a tighter draw (aimed at richer flavor) or a looser draw for potentially chucking clouds?

I have stubby fingers for a female, and it's VERY tough for me to build on some decks. I have a couple of Atomics (about $10 from vapenw, I think) and I picked up a couple of Nemesis V3s (I pooched one, trying to mod it for bottom feed, but at $6 I didn't care) The Nemesis is a tighter draw (two 1-1.5 mm air holes). The Atomic has three different air flow settings.

I whipped up a build on the Velocity in about 3 minutes (and that's dual coils)

img_20150904_190345-jpg.487248

I'm gonna have to ask - have you rebuilt before? Do you have a good ohmmeter? Are you comfortable with Ohm's Law and battery safety? If so - rock on. If not, please go check out the blogs written by @Baditude. He has amazing information on all this stuff.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Baditude

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Are you looking for single or dual coil, or more? Preferring authentic or clone? Like a loose airy draw or tight (ie Mouth to Lung hit or straight to lung?)

All that asked, I have two. One I bought long ago, an authentic Prometey single coil with a tight draw, and one I just got, a Petri clone dual coil with chuff caps and straight to lung draw. I like the dual coil, straight lung and I was never a lung hitter until I got it. It can be had from FastTech for about $12 and works extremely well.

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Are you looking for single or dual coil, or more? Preferring authentic or clone? Like a loose airy draw or tight (ie Mouth to Lung hit or straight to lung?)

All that asked, I have two. One I bought long ago, an authentic Prometey single coil with a tight draw, and one I just got, a Petri clone dual coil with chuff caps and straight to lung draw. I like the dual coil, straight lung and I was never a lung hitter until I got it. It can be had from FastTech for about $12 and works extremely well.
My apologies I should have specified,

I'm looking for something single coil so I have the option for nickel builds (I have a TC mod)
- if I like it down the road I'll grab a dual coil.
I lung hit and enjoy extremely good airflow

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm by no means an RDA expert, but I'm going to say that I just picked up a Velocity clone (from Focalecig - Fasttech also has them) for about $10, and it's the best freaking $10 (well, my first order was two, and I just ordered 2 more) RDA I have.

Now, with that being said, are you looking for something with a tighter draw (aimed at richer flavor) or a looser draw for potentially chucking clouds?

I have stubby fingers for a female, and it's VERY tough for me to build on some decks. I have a couple of Atomics (about $10 from vapenw, I think) and I picked up a couple of Nemesis V3s (I pooched one, trying to mod it for bottom feed, but at $6 I didn't care) The Nemesis is a tighter draw (two 1-1.5 mm air holes). The Atomic has three different air flow settings.

I whipped up a build on the Velocity in about 3 minutes (and that's dual coils)

img_20150904_190345-jpg.487248

I'm gonna have to ask - have you rebuilt before? Do you have a good ohmmeter? Are you comfortable with Ohm's Law and battery safety? If so - rock on. If not, please go check out the blogs written by @Baditude. He has amazing information on all this stuff.

Good Luck!
I currently building on a zephyrus RTA (dual coil)
I do have an ohm meter
I am familiar with ohms law &a battery safety

But I do not use mech mods, I stick with regulated
I don't care about clouds I care about flavor

Reactions: DingerCPA

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
@bpurtell89, SWEET! (your post about the zephyrus came in after I'd replied :) )

I've been hearing a lot of talk about an Achilles RDA. @AndriaD has one, and she's been singing its praises since she got it.... She says the flavor is better than her kayfuns

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
@bpurtell89, SWEET! (your post about the zephyrus came in after I'd replied :) )

I've been hearing a lot of talk about an Achilles RDA. @AndriaD has one, and she's been singing its praises since she got it.... She says the flavor is better than her kayfuns
Hmmmm I will have to look into the Achilles!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
My apologies I should have specified,

I'm looking for something single coil so I have the option for nickel builds (I have a TC mod)
- if I like it down the road I'll grab a dual coil.
I lung hit and enjoy extremely good airflow

O.k. You might have to open up the air flow holes on the Achilles. I hear it's a VERY tight draw....

I do like the flavor I get from the Atomic. It's got 3 posts, but I usually run it in single-coil mode and open the airflow all the way.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I do MTL and single coils. My first rda was a Tugboat v2 clone ($8 from fasttech) and it's still what I prefer day to day. I open a fraction of one air hole on one side and put tape on the opposite side air holes to get a tight draw and be able to lay it on it's side with no leaking.

Like the guy just before me suggested. Achilles might be a very good choice. I have one and use it occaisionally but for some reason keep going back to the tugboat.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013

I sure don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but the "flavor of a kayfun" isn't a very high bar. They're leagues better than the old Vivi Nova style tanks, but they're being left far behind by the latest generation of Uwell/TFV4 tanks.

The Prometey I have, and the Achilles, are made by the same guy and are the same basic design. If you want good airflow, and lung hits, I can't begin to imagine you liking the Achilles. Very tight draw, and super concentrated air vector at the coil. For a narrow coil, no problem but I find that much more than a 5 wrap doesn't get enough into the air channel.
1694uxc.jpg

With your specifications, I'd opt for a Velocity. I love dual posts for proper centering, you can build single or dual, and there are a LOT of options for airflow.

29z9bfk.jpg

Edit: Heck, you can even build a QUAD on a velocity. I can't think of a more versatile RDA. I just might need to get me one of these!
11253614_1456564091316078_657092608_n.jpg

Last edited:

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
I sure don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but the "flavor of a kayfun" isn't a very high bar. They're leagues better than the old Vivi Nova style tanks, but they're being left far behind by the latest generation of Uwell/TFV4 tanks.

The Prometey I have, and the Achilles, are made by the same guy and are the same basic design. If you want good airflow, and lung hits, I can't begin to imagine you liking the Achilles. Very tight draw, and super concentrated air vector at the coil. For a narrow coil, no problem but I find that much more than a 5 wrap doesn't get enough into the air channel.
1694uxc.jpg

With your specifications, I'd opt for a Velocity. I love dual posts for proper centering, you can build single or dual, and there are a LOT of options for airflow.

29z9bfk.jpg

Edit: Heck, you can even build a QUAD on a velocity. I can't think of a more versatile RDA. I just might need to get me one of these!
11253614_1456564091316078_657092608_n.jpg
That's quite nice. If the air flow is constricted then you're probably right that I won't like it. I think so,etching like that is advanced for me as of right now though. I've read into the mutation and for the price point I think that's what I might end up trying to start out with.

I don't know enough about authentic opposed to clones at this point to be comfortable buying a clone no matter how good someone says they are or where they're made.... Plus just my preference to go with authentic

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
That's quite nice. If the air flow is constricted then you're probably right that I won't like it. I think so,etching like that is advanced for me as of right now though. I've read into the mutation and for the price point I think that's what I might end up trying to start out with.

I don't know enough about authentic opposed to clones at this point to be comfortable buying a clone no matter how good someone says they are or where they're made.... Plus just my preference to go with authentic
You want airflow ? 13 Heavens 9 Hells RDA by Compvape - str8vape

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I have the Achilles and Prometey v1 and v2 but don't do lung hits. Both the v2 and the Achilles can be opened up but they aren't full flow like some like. I have a Venturi which is dual coil that is great for flavor and easy to adjust for airflow. Another one on the way is Mini-ecig Micro Dripper that looks to be pretty good. They make one in 22mm as well. Worth the looks since they are only $25 and $35.

md_05-74x74.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread