RDA Goon clone getting a bit hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
so i have a Goon clone from fasttech it's a 24mm dual coil. im kinda new to rda's and i had to reduce my wraps since it was getting too hot (the tank not the vape) im using these $9.27 316L Stainless Steel Alien Clapton Heating Wire for RBA Atomizer - 32 AWG / 0.3mm/0.8mm flat / 10m at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping wires to do around 5 wraps each on 3mm step on this tool: $1.77 Vaping Coil Winding Jig Tool for Rebuildable Atomizers - stainless steel / 1.5mm + 2.0mm + 2.5mm + 3.0mm + 3.5mm sections at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping.

I can't help to feel that the rda feels really small but i really like the deck with the clamps style is there any similar tank but that has more room for more wraps/cotton?

my rda: $7.76 GOON LP Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 24mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
I think the LP stands for low profile because my goon is bigger , maybe that's why it heats up so much

Stands at 31mm as per the fact sheet and it's 24mm so not really very Low Profile I guess. Must could be anything from the way it's wicked to airflow or the build.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Reactions: bsidb

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You said you had to drop the amount of wraps? Well if so, you are then lowering your resistance, thus increasing the heat. If you want it cooler, increase your resistance by increasing the wraps. .1 is pretty low imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
You said you had to drop the amount of wraps? Well if so, you are then lowering your resistance, thus increasing the heat. If you want it cooler, increase your resistance by increasing the wraps. .1 is pretty low imo

that would be true if i was vapeing on the same wattage but since its less wraps it gets heated faster so i can have it lower but i dunno it gets hot either way like if u chain vape the hole mod on the top gets so hot u cant even touch it almost on the top that is. my batteries are safe too since im using hb6 and i take them out sometimes to check the temp and they're usually just luke warm at max its most likely from the heat of the mod lol. so far ive only been successful with the RTA in the TFv8 its performing way better in everything so far... =/

Reactions: yvaiwhy

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think even at the same wattage that you were previously vaping the coil with more wraps it's still a warmer vape because it's less mass. The only way that coil is cooler then your coil with more wraps is if you are vaping it at a lower wattage then previous coil. How is the coil in relation to the top of chamber? Maybe too high and to close? Or maybe not enough AF for such a low resistance coil? Or maybe to much cotton? Sometimes if you have to much tails that are around, under the coil the AF can be inhibited

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
I think even at the same wattage that you were previously vaping the coil with more wraps it's still a warmer vape because it's less mass. The only way that coil is cooler then your coil with more wraps is if you are vaping it at a lower wattage then previous coil. How is the coil in relation to the top of chamber? Maybe too high and to close? Or maybe not enough AF for such a low resistance coil? Or maybe to much cotton? Sometimes if you have to much tails that are around, under the coil the AF can be inhibited

yes thats why i thought less wraps would make it cooler since there is less mass in it. i might need to use less cotton since im using japanese cotton and its really thick

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
yes thats why i thought less wraps would make it cooler since there is less mass in it. i might need to use less cotton since im using japanese cotton and its really thick

No matter how you wick it, with such low ohms the rda will heat up as it takes just little to no time for a 0.10 Build to heat up. At a full charge it's almost instant [emoji23]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
At such low resistance it just may be the norm, I don't know because I don't actually own said device or have ever run that low but yes try reducing not only the cotton thru coil but the tails also. And if side air , obviously point AF hole directly at coils. Personally I think adding some resistance will cool it down

Teletha

Dec 22, 2016
At such low resistance it just may be the norm, I don't know because I don't actually own said device or have ever run that low but yes try reducing not only the cotton thru coil but the tails also. And if side air , obviously point AF hole directly at coils. Personally I think adding some resistance will cool it down

ye thats the hard thing im having trouble with if i have higher resistance then it will take more wattage to get to the same heat output and it will result in the same heat being spread through the mod right?

eLicky

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2016
Sydney - Australia
My feelings are its a combination of your coils being large/low ohms with limited airflow on that Goon LP clone, its going to create heat. You can either throw some smaller coils in, lower the wattage or if you want to play with big builds look into a 28.5 or 30mm RDA with a lot of airflow instead.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
ye thats the hard thing im having trouble with if i have higher resistance then it will take more wattage to get to the same heat output and it will result in the same heat being spread through the mod right?
I think if you raised the resistance, maybe by adding 1 wrap per coil and kept the same wattage you are using now (with the reduced wrap coil) you will have a slightly cooler vape then now. Maybe going to a slightly thinner wire at the same time you lower the resistance and reduce power slightly could do it with that particular tank, not sure . I do know once you get into thicker, power hungry duals coils, lower resistances and higher wattages it's definitely a balancing act.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
What mod are you using?
A mech? hope not,,

The heat is coming from the Skinny 32awg wire you stated you were using. Ramp up is instantaneous. Chain vape? 4 alarm fire.

The Goon is a favourite dripper to me.
Go to a 26 gauge dual set up about .3 ohm, airflow on coil. Heat will receed & flavor will come on..

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
What mod are you using?
A mech? hope not,,

The heat is coming from the Skinny 32awg wire you stated you were using. Ramp up is instantaneous. Chain vape? 4 alarm fire.

The Goon is a favourite dripper to me.
Go to a 26 gauge dual set up about .3 ohm, airflow on coil. Heat will receed & flavor will come on..
Op is using pre made Claptons with 32 g SS wrap. The inner wire is .3mmX.8mm flat/square SS. That inner wire is equivalent to 24 g and I would imagine is the main source of all that heat and low resistance. It will be difficult to get much higher resistance by adding wraps as there just won't be enough room in there (+ the added heat & extra power neede are not ideal). SS is better at heating and cooling faster but all that wire ain't gonna let the heat go quickly. If you really want claptons try smaller core 26 (.4mmX.4mm square wire) or 28g (.3mmX.3mm square wire) A 28 - 30 mm rda would certainly allow more wraps but will require more power.

Edit, if both of the Clapton wires are in fact SS, keep in mind these are from fasttech, you could run them in TC. Keep it at a temperature that suits your needs. It will still get hot though. Chain vaping anything at .1 in power mode will get rather hot I'd imagine , save for that 46mm behemoth from Vaporgate. The fat boy I think it is. Probably get enough airflow through that to cool those babies down!

Last edited:
Reactions: daviedog

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Op is using pre made Claptons with 32 g SS wrap. The inner wire is .3mmX.8mm flat/square SS. That inner wire is equivalent to 24 g and I would imagine is the main source of all that heat and low resistance. It will be difficult to get much higher resistance by adding wraps as there just won't be enough room in there (+ the added heat & extra power neede are not ideal). SS is better at heating and cooling faster but all that wire ain't gonna let the heat go quickly. If you really want claptons try smaller core 26 (.4mmX.4mm square wire) or 28g (.3mmX.3mm square wire) A 28 - 30 mm rda would certainly allow more wraps but will require more power.

Edit, if both of the Clapton wires are in fact SS, keep in mind these are from fasttech, you could run them in TC. Keep it at a temperature that suits your needs. It will still get hot though. Chain vaping anything at .1 in power mode will get rather hot I'd imagine , save for that 46mm behemoth from Vaporgate. The fat boy I think it is. Probably get enough airflow through that to cool those babies down!
Looking at the FT, site at this wire, i was under the impression it was 32awg TOTAL.
The few times I've bought premade, listed as 26/32 etc with no guage mentioned. Just assumed..
Thanks@LilwhiteClouder for the Heads Up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread