Gosh darn coils!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashes to batteries

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2015
Blech. Built my first real coil from scratch last weekend, previously used prefabbed rba coils that came with my kit just to practice setting it and wicking it.

Took forever, many failed attempts, but I finally had it. Safe OHMs, proper wicking. Went to a vape shop to have them double check my work and they said it was "dead on" and I was all proud. Figured this was easy, I've got it now. Until last night when I failed again and again and again. Finally put it down, walked away, and got it done in 3 minutes this morning. I think I know where I was going wrong and I know it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.

But gosh darn. I really do hope it gets easier fast!

Just needed to vent.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I try to make the building of my coils seem like an experiment. Some work great while others look like my 8 month old daughter made it. Some look great but something doesn't make it fire from the inside out or I get hot legs. I want every one of my coils to glow all nice a pretty and work right from the beginning but it just isn't so. Why are there so many tutorials on coil building? Because it takes time to learn how to do it right. Then the process changes when you get a new atty or tank. I have visions of myself building a new heart for my creation and then watching it come to life. Frankenstein had a lot of failure before he got it right. It will come and you will learn how to get it right more often than not. The vapor gods smile on you for trying.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey Don't Worry.

The First couple of Coils I made looked Pathetic. And it Took Forever with Many Choice words. But every time I made one, it got a Little Better. And a Little Faster.

One day I saw one of these Coil Tools for like 7 Bucks and I said WTH. 7 Bucks isn't going to kill me if it is Junk.

2129702-1.jpg

$6.88 Universal Tools Wire Coiling Tool w/ Phillips & Slotted & Hex Key Screwdriver Bits - blue / 3.5mm + 3.0mm + 2.5mm + 2.0mm winding rods at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Darn thing works Great. And it is nice that it comes in a Box so all the Mandrels don't get lost.

Building Coils isn't all that Bad. But it takes a Little Practice. And having a Good Tool never hurt when doing Any Job.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have been coiling my own tanks for years. So, I just bought a new dripper the other day-- I'm really a tank guy, I only ever got a decent build in a dripper for the first time about two weeks ago, which gave the the confidence to buy a better dripper-- and it took me 4 tries to get a functional build in it. The point here is two-fold: not only does experience count making coils, you also need some with the atty you're using. And even for people who actually do know what they're (trying to) do, it doesn't always work first time every time. So yes, it does get easier with practice. But no, I don't think anybody ever gets perfect at it :)

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I've really never struggled with making the coil. Wicking was a pain to learn how to do right. I still get semi-leaky tanks and I've been doing it for 2 years. Talked about PO'd. I still rewatch tutorials on how to do things and still get them wrong so don't feel bad about any of it. Don't forget that the guys/gals online have editing equipment and cut out the part where they got mad and threw the atty across the room.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It actually really helps to know even veterans struggle sometimes.

The guy at the vape shop said he felt my tank was particularly difficult to build on, but I figured he was just soothing my ego.

Oh Hell Yeah... Never think that We Don't Sometimes.

BTW - There is another thing that is Very Cool about that Coil Tool I posted. And that is that the Mandrels you use to wind around are Also great for Holding the Coil when you Mount it on your Deck.

Some of the Coil Tools I have seen the Mandrels are Permanently Mounted to the Handle. This make it Hard, IMO, to hold the Coil in place while Screwing down the Deck Screws. Haven't a Short Mandrel is a Plus.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Blech. Built my first real coil from scratch last weekend, previously used prefabbed RBA coils that came with my kit just to practice setting it and wicking it.

Took forever, many failed attempts, but I finally had it. Safe OHMs, proper wicking. Went to a vape shop to have them double check my work and they said it was "dead on" and I was all proud. Figured this was easy, I've got it now. Until last night when I failed again and again and again. Finally put it down, walked away, and got it done in 3 minutes this morning. I think I know where I was going wrong and I know it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.

But gosh darn. I really do hope it gets easier fast!

Just needed to vent.

It does get easier, the more you do it. My first ones required many profanities and looked like a ......ed 4 yr old made them, but they vaped, so I figured that was all that counted. Now the hardest part of it for me is picking up the 3" vise off the floor (it weighs about 10 lbs of solid steel), to hold the base steady while I mount it. I found that having the base immobilized like that made the whole thing a lot easier, rather than chasing the base around the countertop cussing at it.

:thumb:
Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've really never struggled with making the coil. Wicking was a pain to learn how to do right. I still get semi-leaky tanks and I've been doing it for 2 years. Talked about PO'd. I still rewatch tutorials on how to do things and still get them wrong so don't feel bad about any of it. Don't forget that the guys/gals online have editing equipment and cut out the part where they got mad and threw the atty across the room.

The One I love is when you get that Perfect Amount of Cotton thru the Coil. And it slides Side to Side like Butter.

So you Trim One Side to Length. But when you go to Cut the Other Side, the cotton Snags in the Scissors and it pull the wick thru the Coil.

Doesn't happen that Often. And it Only seems to happen on those Perfect Wicks.

LOL

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
But when you go to Cut the Other Side, the cotton Snags in the Scissors and it pull the wick thru the Coil.
Happened to me yesterday. I've been using an eGo One 2.5ml tank with the CLR rebuildable heads and these suckers are small. I threw the shears I was using away and just happen to have a brand new pair to put in my box. I don't use this tank that often but we went to dinner and I had to bring something.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Wicking was a pain to learn how to do right. I still get semi-leaky tanks and I've been doing it for 2 years.

I'm not sure I found videos on wicking very helpful, either. I found two videos, same RTA, about the same coil and both claim, "After vaping and building on this for weeks, this is the best -- great flavor, lots of clouds, no dry hits." One uses this teeny wisp of cotton, while the second one looks like he rammed an entire sheep in there. I guess they could have been using vastly different VG/PG ratios, but still.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Happened to me yesterday. I've been using an eGo One 2.5ml tank with the CLR rebuildable heads and these suckers are small. I threw the shears I was using away and just happen to have a brand new pair to put in my box. I don't use this tank that often but we went to dinner and I had to bring something.

That's another thing I've Noticed.

If I have Nothing to do. And Decide to Rebuild a RBA/RTA, it seems like everything goes Smooth. But if I have to be Someplace in soon, that is when a deck screw Decides it's Time to go Flying Off into Oblivion behind my Desk.

Or the Rechargeable Batteries in my hands free LED Magnifier feel it's a Good Time to go dim.

Reactions: WonderDude32

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I'm not sure I found videos on wicking very helpful, either.

Coil building is much easier to learn because you can see the end result and how it functions. Getting the wick just right is an educated guess at best. I've even tried cutting an exact piece of cotton and measuring it to make sure I cut the next one the same. It works 70% of the time. I've wicked the same build 7 times once when I first started.

Reactions: NoFumus

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I'm not sure I found videos on wicking very helpful, either. I found two videos, same RTA, about the same coil and both claim, "After vaping and building on this for weeks, this is the best -- great flavor, lots of clouds, no dry hits." One uses this teeny wisp of cotton, while the second one looks like he rammed an entire sheep in there. I guess they could have been using vastly different VG/PG ratios, but still.
had the same experience and conventional wisdom like keeping wicks out of you juice channels does not work for me. this is still a new technology and still involves a lot of trial and error to get it right

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I am far from being an expert at wicking coils but in every field even the experts have days when nothing works. best thing to do is walk away and come back later to try again

It does help to have other vapable attys -- one of my favorite kayfuns right now is a big PITA, because apparently it's slightly overwicked... not enough to give dry hits, but enough that it keeps sputtering for several seconds after i take my finger off the button. It's very annoying. So it's just been sitting there on the counter giving me the evil eye: "RE-WICK ME, LAZY WENCH!" while I vape on my Achilles. :D

Andria

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I've even tried cutting an exact piece of cotton and measuring it to make sure I cut the next one the same. It works 70% of the time. I've wicked the same build 7 times once when I first started.

The first thing I tried was Cotton Bacon, just because that was the only option at the B&M I bought my Kanthal from. It's probably fine, but I found it a little tricky to get a piece of consistent diameter. Later, when I go the cotton squares, at least I could reproduce what I did, and now exactly how to increase or decrease the amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread