Gosh darn coils!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
batteries" data-source="post: 16215968" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Oh my gosh, yes! Everything I watched and read suggested I was over wicking. But when I cut back and did EXACTLY what the videos suggested all I tasted was cotton! Argh!
all I tasted was juice. my coils flooded like crazy.with "to much wick" I never get dry burns, flooding or leaking even when I carry the tanks upside down in my pocket

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The first thing I tried was Cotton Bacon, just because that was the only option at the B&M I bought my Kanthal from. It's probably fine, but I found it a little tricky to get a piece of consistent diameter. Later, when I go the cotton squares, at least I could reproduce what I did, and now exactly how to increase or decrease the amount.

I think this is a Big Part of being successful. Being able to Reproduce what you Did the Last Time if it Worked. Or Being able to Adjust from a Known amount when things Don't go as Planned.

I tried using Rayon on my First Builds. Because everyone said how much "Better" Rayon is. What they Didn't say was it was Difficult to Gauge how Much Rayon to use. Seemed like I was Always Guessing.

I quickly moved to Cotton Pads because I can cut a strip of a Cotton Pad by eye the Same Width with Remarkable Accuracy. And it didn't take long to find the Best Width to go into a 3.0mm or 3.5mm Coil.

Reactions: NoFumus

ashes to batteries

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2015
I think I've finally got the wicking down on my tanks. I just hate snagging the cotton on the scissors. I'm really due for an upgrade. Anyone want to recommend a pair?

Find a bead shop and ask for Chinese shears. Sharp, accurate, compact, inexpensive. Actually, most of my.jewelry tools have been perfect.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think I've finally got the wicking down on my tanks. I just hate snagging the cotton on the scissors. I'm really due for an upgrade. Anyone want to recommend a pair?

I know you are going to Shake your Head at this. But I have tried a Lot of Scissor, and these work the Best for Cutting Wicks.

1061700-3.jpg

$0.93 Precision Stainless Steel Thrum Scissors at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I quickly moved to Cotton Pads because I can cut a strip of a Cotton Pad by eye the Same Width with Remarkable Accuracy. And it didn't take long to find the Best Width to go into a 3.0mm or 3.5mm Coil.

Thank you for giving me a sense I'm on the right track. I've been playing with my first RTA for a couple weeks now, and have found a build I'm comfortable with and can reproduce. After that, I obviously needed to buy another, so I've got a completely different one to try tomorrow.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thank you for giving me a sense I'm on the right track. I've been playing with my first RTA for a couple weeks now, and have found a build I'm comfortable with and can reproduce. After that, I obviously needed to buy another, so I've got a completely different one to try tomorrow.
Lol, yeah, that's the way it works, all right :)

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Lol, yeah, that's the way it works, all right :)

But I've got frugal shiney-itis. I just go through posts from ages ago -- i.e., about nine months earlier -- and find what people thought was great then. Now, it's pretty inexpensive. Although, with my second purchase, the jury's still out, but there may have been a reason it was a bargain.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
But I've got frugal shiney-itis. I just go through posts from ages ago -- i.e., about nine months earlier -- and find what people thought was great then. Now, it's pretty inexpensive. Although, with my second purchase, the jury's still out, but there may have been a reason it was a bargain.
What did you try?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

It sounds like you are Doing Fine.

I'll be Honest with you, I have Tried Hundreds of the "This is The BEST" things over the Years. And it seems like Every Week someone has a "Better" way to do This. Or to Wick that. And Ya Know what? Most of them Work about the Same as the Old Way.

So I focus in on what's Easier to do.

Like I said, I Started with Rayon. And I struggled. So I Switched to Cotton Pads and the First wick I made Worked. And after a Short Period, I had Cotton Pads wick down to a Science. But I went Back to Rayon now that I knew How much Wick would work. And I was Able to get Rayon going.

Was Rayon Better? Maybe? Seemed like it was a maybe a Tad Better? I Guess? So I went back to Cotton Pads. Because it was So Much Easier/Faster. And So Much More Consistent.

I guess what I'm saying is sometimes something can be 5% Better, but it can be 30% Harder to Do. So I tend to Give Up a Very Small amount of "Better" for a Big Percentage of "Easier".

But that is just Me.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
What did you try?

After the Lemo (v1), I got a AGA-T5. I was just going through threads where folks had recommended single-coil RTAs, looking at reviews, and I found this one for $9.95. For that price, if it was a mistake, it would be a small one.

I read many people's remarks that it's too shiny, but I think it's kinda purdy. All the juice leaks back out if you fill it from the fill hole (I read that, too, but forgot), but it's fine when filled through the bottom.

We'll see.

Reactions: suprtrkr

Suryia

Jun 28, 2015
Hey Don't Worry.

The First couple of Coils I made looked Pathetic. And it Took Forever with Many Choice words. But every time I made one, it got a Little Better. And a Little Faster.

One day I saw one of these Coil Tools for like 7 Bucks and I said WTH. 7 Bucks isn't going to kill me if it is Junk.

2129702-1.jpg

$6.88 Universal Tools Wire Coiling Tool w/ Phillips & Slotted & Hex Key Screwdriver Bits - blue / 3.5mm + 3.0mm + 2.5mm + 2.0mm winding rods at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Darn thing works Great. And it is nice that it comes in a Box so all the Mandrels don't get lost.

Building Coils isn't all that Bad. But it takes a Little Practice. And having a Good Tool never hurt when doing Any Job.
This is the best option for you. Get one of these tools and spend about 30 minutes making tons and tons of coils with the jig/tool and the next time you need a coil, just grab one of your premade coils. Made my vaping life so much easier. Separate the pre made coils by gauge and # of wraps into labeled bags/containers and you wont have to worry about building coils for the longest time.

gadgetkeith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Heber Srings Arkansas
quick tip if ya scissors feel dull

find a glass bottle like a wine bottle with narrow neck or an empty glass juice bottle needs to be a glass bottle

and use the scissors on the neck as if you trying to cut the neck off the bottle

do this for a few seconds a few times

then try out ya scissors again on some paper or ya wick material

its an old trick that works to resharpen them

hope this helps save a few scissors out there

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
After the Lemo (v1), I got a AGA-T5. I was just going through threads where folks had recommended single-coil RTAs, looking at reviews, and I found this one for $9.95. For that price, if it was a mistake, it would be a small one.

I read many people's remarks that it's too shiny, but I think it's kinda purdy. All the juice leaks back out if you fill it from the fill hole (I read that, too, but forgot), but it's fine when filled through the bottom.

We'll see.
Good luck with it. I've never built one, so no tips from me. I have faith in you, though. I'm sure you can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread