Got a DNA 30, Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorD

Jul 15, 2013
East Central FL
Hey ECF, I need some help here.

I'm a Mech Mod user who just got his hands on a dna 30 regulated box.
I've done a couple builds similar to what I'd do with my MM (dual 28g coils, 10 wraps, .5 ohms) but I'm not getting a near warm enough vape or dense enough cloud compared to what I get from the MM, even at 30 watts.

I'm not looking for a scorching hot vape or a competition size cloud, but I'm disappointed so far.
I need someone experienced with DNA 30 boxes to reccomend some builds that will give me a warmer vape and a thicker cloud.

For comparison, right now on my Nemesis mod & Tugboat RDA, I vape at around .3 ohms w/ dual 26g parallel coils.
It's a fairly warm vape w/ thick vapor, but is too low of a resistance to fire on my DNA 30 box.

How do I replicate the warm, thick vape I'm getting from my Mech Mod with this DNA 30 box?
Do I need to get my resistance higher, or what? Fill me in guys!

tl;dr: How do I get a warm & dense vape with my DNA 30 box?

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
Do what you want with the resistance. If you figure out how to replicate the vape you get with dual 26g coils at 60 watts in a 30 watt device, let me know.

Edit: increasing resistance will certainly help, but you're still not going to be simulating what your mech can do. It'll just be better than what you're getting out of it now.

Last edited:

DoctorD

Jul 15, 2013
East Central FL
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far.
I understand that I'm not going to be able to duplicate the intensity of the setup I'm currently using in my Mech Mod with my DNA 30 box, I'm just trying to figure out the appropriate way to go about getting a more satisfying vape (warmer & more dense vapor) out of my DNA 30 box.
I wrapped a couple coils w/ 26g Kanthal (15 wraps around a 3/32nd bit each) and they're reading 0.8ohms & 4.8V @ 30 Watts, and it's a much more satisfying vape than what I was using, but I know I can get an even better vape based on what I've seen other people do with their DNA 30 boxes.
I guess my question now is, will going to an even higher resistance (say 1.2 ohms, 1.5 ohms, or even 2 ohms) give me an even more dense & even more hot vape? Where does it begin to curve off? I guess I'm just confused at why going to a higher resistance will give me what I'm looking for, when it's the exact opposite with a Mech Mod.

Last edited:

danca90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Zagreb, Croatia
Not in his rda. Maybe in a Kayfun like the other guy said. And I absolutely agree. 30 watts is great for Kayfun type atomizers. Multiple coil rda's need more power unless you like driving a 4 cylinder corvette.

Funny how I'm vaping a 1.1 ohm dragon coil on an RDA at 30 watts. And I would never drive any corvette (again, I should say) A 6 cylinder VW suites me just fine.

DoctorD

Jul 15, 2013
East Central FL
Funny how I'm vaping a 1.1 ohm dragon coil on an RDA at 30 watts. And I would never drive any corvette (again, I should say) A 6 cylinder VW suites me just fine.

Does 1.1 ohms seem to be your sweet spot? Do you get a warmer vape or more vapor production at a different resistance? Or does it depend more upon wicking, coil diameter, etc?

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
I think you would get better performance with higher gauge wire. Maybe not 32 or 34 gauge clearomizer wire, but 28 or 30. Getting massive vapor with 30w isn't the problem, it's getting that much vapor and the warmth to go with it. I have dual 12 wrap, 28g, 7/64 id coils at 1.4 ohms in a tobh v2 running at max power on a dna 30 device. Lots of vapor, but because of the large chamber and high air flow it's a large cloud of cool vapor. It takes about one second to ramp up and I've used it enough to get a real good feel for it. I can tell that the tobh has much more potential and until I supply more power that potential can't be realized.
ZLMu7ZI.jpg

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    DNA uses a completely different way to get to the same place.

An easy way to say it is that a 1.2 ohm coil on a DNA-30 will do the same thing as a 0.5 ohm coil on a mechanical. (30 watt vape)

What a DNA-30 will not do is a 60 watt vape. (0.3 ohms @ 4.2v)

All in all, the power rage we see these days reminds me of a dog chasing it's tail.

OR:
    foundthepot_zpsb101dc38.jpg

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
    USA
    Nonsense. It's not just about resistance, voltage and the watts those variables combine to make. It's also about the amount of metal those watts are heating. X amount of ohms means nothing by itself. A short piece of thin wire and multiple pieces of long, thick wire in parallel can have the same resistance, but will have nowhere near the same level of performance at the same power setting. Then add chamber size, airflow, surface area of heating elements, wicking, etc, and it complicates it even more. Voltage and resistance are only two of many variables that affect overall performance.

Last edited:

rusirius

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 8, 2014
    DE
    A mixture of heat flux and air flow are going to control the warmth of the vape. Surface area is going to control the amount of vapor. (Assuming you stay within nominal levels). As pointed out, you're obviously not going to get a 60W vape out of a 30W device... But as far as changing the vape staying in that 30W window, you have to pay attention to the heat flux mostly.

Let me give you an example... Here's a 26awg 3mm dual coil at .8 ohms... Note the heat flux is only 83mW/mm2. That's barely going to put off vapor, and what vapor it does put off is going to be VERY cool (at 30W). Thick gauge wire is really more about getting higher surface area and more wattage out of a device that can't adjust voltage (i.e. a mech). When you have the voltage potential the DNA30 does (up to 8.3v) you have more options... You can get that higher heat flux and surface area with higher gauage wire.

So let's say we instead built a dual coil with 30awg 2mm and .9 ohms... Now look at the heat flux.. 297mW/mm2... That's going to give you a MUCH MUCH hotter vape... And you've got plenty of surface area to generate a lot of vapor. If it's too hot you can raise the resistance to give more surface area which will give you more vapor slightly cooler. In addition it's got 1/5th the heat capacity of the other coils, which means it's going to heat up much faster with little to no lag time and won't continue to cook juice after you stop firing it.

The easiest way to think of it is this... Wattage is really about one thing... How much juice is being vaporized. You really can boil it down to just that assuming everything else (i.e. wicking, etc) is optimized. If you want that vapor hotter you need to focus on primarily heat flux...

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I've tried 2.0 mm dia coil and didn't like them at all, found that 1.5 dia coils work best for me, I've tried making from .5 ohms coils up to 3.0 ohm coils my sweet spot works around 2.0 ohms and wire ga I like best is 32 ga. Then there's the wattage above 15 watts and its to hot for me best place I found was 10 watts to 13 watts then after I discovered all this I turned to the juice for a more dense vape I increase the VG. On top of all this air flow control is a must. Now each device I found works a little different from each other one is more regulated and some lag a little longer when firing - it's all about the learning curve and what you like.

DoctorD

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central FL
    Thanks again for all the replies guys, this is definitely helping me out. What I seem to be hearing is that thinner wire (~28-30g) coiled around a smaller diameter bit (~1.5-2mm) wrapped enough times to give me a higher resistance (~1.2-2ohms) will give me a higher voltage (say, 6-8V vs the 4-5V I'm getting now) and thus a warmer, more satisfying vape (subjective, but in my opinion).

miroko

Oct 13, 2014
    Lisbon, Portugal
    You need more watts. 30w devices are nice for driving kayfuns.

Based on your personal preference right?

Because to me 17 w are enough for my big driper and veritas with 1.4 ohm single coil.

People tend to forget to mention that. Vaping has not a standard right way to do things.
    It's all about to personal preference.

What looks awesome to you is terrible for the guy next door

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
    USA
    And the kayfun is a single coil device with a chamber size and airflow ability that allow 30w to cover the range of what it was designed for. Multiple coil devices with large chambers and large airflow are designed to operate within a power range that extends well north of 30 watts. While it's possible to use a moped engine to move a full size, 4wd truck, most people prefer to use an engine that is more suitable to what the truck was designed to be powered by.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread