got both my new ELA V2 and work horse telescope today.. questions about cleaning contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
How to clean the contacts on both the ela and work horse?

I know thete both different and I've read conflicting ideas as in one can use deoxit gold and one should not.. ela just wipe clean and that's it.

Rubbing alcohol, deoxit gold or water and a rag? What to do?

Also what to do with the copper rings on the telescope? Anything special? Noalox? Hate that stuff as it makes a mess.

Whistle_Pig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2010
Littleton, CO, U.S.
How to clean the contacts on both the ela and work horse?

I know thete both different and I've read conflicting ideas as in one can use deoxit gold and one should not.. ela just wipe clean and that's it.

Rubbing alcohol, deoxit gold or water and a rag? What to do?

Also what to do with the copper rings on the telescope? Anything special? Noalox? Hate that stuff as it makes a mess.

I've wondered about Deox-It myself, as I have it on hand. Considering its intended use, I can't imagine it being bad for the contacts, but then I'm not a chemist.

I found the problem with Noalox is that it seperates in the tube, and over time you get more of the carrier than you do the compound. I solved that by cutting open the squeeze tube, and scraping everying out into a plastic cup that I got from a container of Gatorade powder. To use, stir with a toothpick, and apply sparingly. So, it's messy when you transfer it, but after that, not so bad. I keep the cup in a ziploc, which is a good thing because I found it accidentally knocked over, at which point, I tossed it out. :) Currently, I'm using the Gardner-Bender equivalent product, which is thicker, and not as messy. Also doesn't separate over time. But I don't use it on my Workhorse - no need, as there isn't a dielectric contact issue, and stainless doesn't oxidize as brass will.

I think Deox-It would be totally fine on the brass compression ring.

Reactions: SteamStack

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Great Info! Yeah I've had a large bottle of noalox over the years and it's a pain to use as I mostly get clear liquid when I squeeze some out. U have to squeeze a massive amount to get the normal grey stuff.

I'll have to try that Today!

I've read thst stainless steel also oxidizes as well but at a much slower rate and it's basicly invisivable. and thst one would want to use a light abrasive material to clean it like toothpaste an eraser or a scotch bright pad?

Stuff I've read on this forum I believe.. David's the one thst mentioned that ss will oxidize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread