Got My First Vape: Question About Ohms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshmallow

Jul 24, 2016
Hello Everyone!

After looking through a few products and a few reviews, I bought my first vaporizer! I got the Halo Reactor, in Blue. Has a 4,400 mAH battery, holds 5ml of e-liquid, and houses a 0.5 sub-ohm dual-coil head.

The flavor I got is the premium e-liquid. It's called Tribeca, high VG, and has a hint of vanilla and caramel, but personally, I taste the caramel more than the vanilla.

I had to watch a video to learn the pieces and how to fill the tank, and I've taken maybe two dozen hits by now, and it's great. I do have a question about something, and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

The LED light shows the Ohms, Volts, and Watts. I know that by clicking the button 3 times, you're able to switch the display from Volts to Watts. I currently have it at 29.0w, 4.5v, and the ohms are currently at 0.0.

Is there a way to control the Ohms? Or what are Ohms to begin with? I guess that 0.5 ohms is the ideal range, but I notice it randomly go from 0.7-1.7 ohms, and I'm not even using it half the time. Is the coil getting too hot or something? When the ohms get higher, is that a sign that I'm using it too much?

The first dozen hits were smooth and great, and then I took one hit, and started coughing real bad for some reason. Not sure why that happened.

Besides that one unpleasant experience, I love this reactor! The color is great too (blue), and it just feels great in the hand. When it comes to the buttons, the up button (to adjust the numbers) doesn't feel as clicky as the down button. Not sure if they're all like that, or if mines is defective, but that's the only thing that is somewhat bothering me now from this. Other than that, I really dig it.

:)

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Ohms are the resistance of the coil you have installed that heats the eliquid. They should NOT be jumping from .7 to 1.7! Check to see that the cool head is properly seated and screwed in tightly as well as the tank to the device.

Because of the ohm fluctuation you're seeing that could explain the inconsistencies you're seeing in your vape quality.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Marshmallow
I'm relatively new at this myself, having started back around last Christmas. I thought I'd try and fill in a bit of info around ckquatt's response since I know how confusing some of this can quickly become for us newbies. If I get something wrong please forgive and I'm sure someone else will quickly point it out to you.

As ckquatt stated the ohms is a measure of the resistance of your coil, in other words how tough it is for the electricity to pass through the coil. Resistance can change with different types of wire, different thicknesses and length. I had to look up your Halo system (looks nice by the way) to see what it had in the way of options. It seems to only have 0.5 ohm coils for it. Most systems allow for a choice among various wire types and resistance measurements in available coils and folks choose what they prefer. Don't feel bad as 0.5 ohms is a pretty popular choice and one that I often prefer. If the resistance measurement of the coil changes then you normally have to also change the amount of power (the wattage setting) you send it to get it to work properly. The higher the resistance normally the lower the wattage needed. For example I'll vape a 1.0 ohm coil at around 22 watts and a 0.2 ohm coil at around 50 watts. What power setting you choose depends on what you like and the way I choose is to start very low, usually less than 10 watts, and work my way up in power 5 to 10 watts at a time until I find that sweet spot. Note that the sweet spot can and will often change with different juices.

You mention your ohms "setting" was zero. It isn't a setting since you can't change it (other than changing the coil) with the mod buttons. The ohms is a measurement the mod is showing you and your 0.5 coils should be seen to measure on or near 0.5. If the reading is zero that suggests that your electrical circuit through the coil is not closed (something isn't connecting the way it should) and as ckquatt points out the jumping measurement also indicates this. If you look at the connection on your mod you'll see a flat headed pin in the middle of the screw in connector. That pin is carrying the positive current from your battery. It is supposed to connect to the pin on the male screw connector on your atomizer base. That pin in turn is supposed to make contact with the pin on the bottom of the coil head. If things are not screwed together properly (do not screw it too tight though) these contacts may not be made or may be inconsistent (hence the jumping measurement) or they could be dirty. Some atomizers allow you to adjust this pin though many don't. If you can't seem to get a good connection then taking it back to your shop for some trouble shooting may be the best idea.
Good luck with it.
Steve

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hello Everyone!

After looking through a few products and a few reviews, I bought my first vaporizer! I got the Halo Reactor, in Blue. Has a 4,400 mAH battery, holds 5ml of e-liquid, and houses a 0.5 sub-ohm dual-coil head.

The flavor I got is the premium e-liquid. It's called Tribeca, high VG, and has a hint of vanilla and caramel, but personally, I taste the caramel more than the vanilla.

I had to watch a video to learn the pieces and how to fill the tank, and I've taken maybe two dozen hits by now, and it's great. I do have a question about something, and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

The LED light shows the Ohms, Volts, and Watts. I know that by clicking the button 3 times, you're able to switch the display from Volts to Watts. I currently have it at 29.0w, 4.5v, and the ohms are currently at 0.0.

Is there a way to control the Ohms? Or what are Ohms to begin with? I guess that 0.5 ohms is the ideal range, but I notice it randomly go from 0.7-1.7 ohms, and I'm not even using it half the time. Is the coil getting too hot or something? When the ohms get higher, is that a sign that I'm using it too much?

The first dozen hits were smooth and great, and then I took one hit, and started coughing real bad for some reason. Not sure why that happened.

Besides that one unpleasant experience, I love this reactor! The color is great too (blue), and it just feels great in the hand. When it comes to the buttons, the up button (to adjust the numbers) doesn't feel as clicky as the down button. Not sure if they're all like that, or if mines is defective, but that's the only thing that is somewhat bothering me now from this. Other than that, I really dig it.

:)
Not very long ago you would have started with a simple vape pen with a fire button and no other controls. Ah, the good old days. I started with a vape pen. A few days later I got a tank style atomizer with replaceable coil heads and a power supply that had a fire button AND a volts control wheel on the bottom. 6 weeks later I had a device that allowed setting the watts. During that time I learned things that made each new device understandable. So you have some homework to do.

Reactions: marshmallow

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I can't advise on your specific issues but I will also take the opportunity to mention that rebranded hardware is often too expensive. The fact that the self-appointment #1 rated brand charged 149 dollars a 29 dollar e-cig tells us plenty about the e-cigarette industry. Halo make some excellent liquids (no argument) but beware the prices on coils and accessories.
29w to start is some going, I tell you, but if it stops you smoking, vape on! :)

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
0.0 ohms would indicate a hard short somewhere in your setup. Ohm measurements that jump around also indicate a short. My first thought would be that your coil is loose or shorted; check to see that the coil is "snug", not too tight and not loose. If you still see the ohms jumping around randomly, replace the coil with a new one.

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
  • My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in simple layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Reactions: daviedog

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Like others said. Check the tightness of the coil or get a new one if that doesn't fix it.

Ohms are not variable. An ohm is the resistance of the coil so like 0.5 or 1.7 could be true but it shouldn't change really. After you have used it for ages it might go up from 1.7 to 1.8 but that's about it. The ohm is to do with the wire used for the coil. I wouldn't worry about that too much. You can fiddle with watts and/or voltage on your device but not the ohms.

Jumping around of ohms means something isn't right and that's why your getting horrible hits.

But great stuff on your switch bud :thumbs:
Good luck with your vaping.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Many mods show the ohms only when you press the firing button (apply current). When you look at the display without pressing the button it will show 0.0 ohms because no current is passing thru the coil.

That being said, when you press the button the ohms should show something near whatever the ohms are of your coil (in the case 0.5 ohms). The ohms are the ohms...they do not change much (+/- .1 at times). If your readings jump around then something is not tightened.

Reactions: Zutankhamun

marshmallow

Jul 24, 2016
Ohms are the resistance of the coil you have installed that heats the eliquid. They should NOT be jumping from .7 to 1.7! Check to see that the cool head is properly seated and screwed in tightly as well as the tank to the device.

Because of the ohm fluctuation you're seeing that could explain the inconsistencies you're seeing in your vape quality.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
you were right, the coil head wasn't tight enough.

i guess i was just scared of breaking that? the parts are just so tiny, and i worry about damaging the airflow control as well and i just didn't have it screwed on tightly.

it's at 0.6ohms now, and i even called tech support (didn't know there was one til about 10 minutes ago), and she said since the coils are handmade, it can vary by up to +/- 0.1ohms, so i think i'm good now.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
you were right, the coil head wasn't tight enough.

i guess i was just scared of breaking that? the parts are just so tiny, and i worry about damaging the airflow control as well and i just didn't have it screwed on tightly.

it's at 0.6ohms now, and i even called tech support (didn't know there was one til about 10 minutes ago), and she said since the coils are handmade, it can vary by up to +/- 0.1ohms, so i think i'm good now.
I tend to make sure the coil is nice and tight in the base, but the tank itself is just "finger tight" on the mod. I've seen some people wrench the atomizers on so tight they strain to unscrew it or have to use their shirt for leverageto get it off. That has the tendency to damage the 510 pin and/or the threading. Sort of like installing spark plugs: "A quarter turn past hand tight" is the ticket!

Reactions: NavVet1969

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Congrats, here's a Mallow Dog for your success.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread