Gotvapes Stardust: How to re-wick and replace the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
Subscribed.
Will definitely come back to this when I need to rewick mine. Hopefully COV will get the wick restocked by then. By the way, madvapes has a multimeter in stock for about $10.

I would also imagine you could canibalize a burnt out CE2 / fluxo or similar device where the wicks are still good (but the coil fried) and use the wicking for a Stardust.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is the same wick material I bought as well. It looks the same diameter as the stock wick to my eye.

Try making one with stacked wicks. Stardust on steroids!

Heck...I working on a Atomizer Macromae Coil using .003" NiChrome in a Double Half Clover with Turk Knots on the end.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I would also imagine you could canibalize a burnt out CE2 / fluxo or similar device where the wicks are still good (but the coil fried) and use the wicking for a Stardust.

I snip off the Wicks of a CE2 anyway since I tilt. Wish I had save all those pieces.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... I will never replace the wick tooo much trouble and it's cheap to replace it

468259d1310132617-there-connection-huh.gif

RockinRobbieSF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
www.lusternia.com
Everyone has a different definition of cheap! :laugh:

Changing the wick/coil definitely isn't for everyone. I kind of like doing it as part of the hobby, though totally understand those who don't. But it made me take the plunge and sign up for the Zenesis Z-atty (rebuildable tank), mostly because I really want to try a mesh wick!

Sedateme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Bismarck, ND
Anyone else having issues getting these apart to rebuild? Just got some today from gotvapes, and they are 2.8 and 2.9 ohm units. Vape is on the cool end, and I wanted to tear one apart and put a lower ohm coil in. I can't even get these apart. I even resorted to wrapping one in a small towel and using a pliers, and all I accomplished was some teeth marks on the outside of the stardust. They simply are not budging. Where am I going wrong... any special tricks? Did I all of a sudden turn into a wimp?

iuseaspork

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2011
ohio
Anyone else having issues getting these apart to rebuild? Just got some today from gotvapes, and they are 2.8 and 2.9 ohm units. Vape is on the cool end, and I wanted to tear one apart and put a lower ohm coil in. I can't even get these apart. I even resorted to wrapping one in a small towel and using a pliers, and all I accomplished was some teeth marks on the outside of the stardust. They simply are not budging. Where am I going wrong... any special tricks? Did I all of a sudden turn into a wimp?

Me too. I actually broke mine. ...The metal part... and STILL never got it apart!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I can't even get these apart. I even resorted to wrapping one in a small towel and using a pliers, and all I accomplished was some teeth marks on the outside of the stardust. They simply are not budging. Where am I going wrong... any special tricks? Did I all of a sudden turn into a wimp?

Piliers are Usually a Bad Sign.

Have you tried running Hot Water over the Battery end and then pulling the tube off?

Sedateme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Bismarck, ND
Man... That Carto doesn't want to give it up.

No kidding. I wrenched on it enough that I was afraid of cross-threading the eGo I screwed it onto. Wonder if they are gluing these to the bases. If push comes to shove, I'll break one in the middle of the tank and see if there is some sort of adhesive. If there is, rebuilding goes out the window.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Ruh ruh. The new batch from Gotvapes are slightly different.

Reading the recent post, I decided to pull one of the tanks off a brand new one. I was able to get it off, but the fit is without doubt tighter than the past four I have taken apart and reassembled numerous times. Now the really bad news. I broke the metal inside trying mightily to reassemble.

A close inspection of the innards reveal other subtle differences in design. So either the manufacturer has made changes, or these are from a different manufacturer.

I have some more coming perhaps tomorrow from Litecigusa. I'll know by looking at them which batch they are.

There is no adhesive. In fact, I do beleive that the previuos batch did use some adhesive since there was a kind of plastic smell to them right out of the package. There is no smell with these, and are fitted tighter.

Bummer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread